It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CB radio and scanner help
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey guys,

So as some of you may know I am new to this forum. I own a 2006 Jeep KJ Renegade and I am looking to install a CB radio. I currently have a mobile scanner hooked up to a Motorola NMO Mount antenna on the roof. I have a spare antenna on the back rear window that I picked up from Radioshack about 6 months ago. I was waiting to take it off because I didn't know if it could be used for CB. Do you recommend the placement of the antenna? It is barely shorter than my roof rack. If not I can get another one. I will also need help with a location to put the CB. I like dash mounts because I think it would be easiest to see and not have to look down from the road. But let me know some suggestions!

Thanks!

Adam

Post subject: Re: CB radio and scanner help
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:19 pm 
LOST Addict

Hello! I have a couple of recommendations. Check out the Cobra 75WXST radio. It's all-in-one in the handset, so mounting options are almost unlimited. Also, look into Firestik antennas. They are taller and tunable so you're more likely to get decent range. That little antenna you have may not work very well for a CB. Here are some helpful links for you.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=69892
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/cb-radio-resources.html
There are many other CB threads on LOST as well and they would be worth the read.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

Post subject: Re: CB radio and scanner help
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

Since you have a roof mounted antenna already and aren't afraid to drill a hole in your roof, I suggest a roof mounted simple base loaded 2' antenna. Look around . They can be found all over on the net. Most have tuning rings on the base and a 2' stainless steel mast and are very easy to tune and they are durable and cheap. For radios, I like the older stuff like a Cobra 29 or 25 or the older Uniden PC76 or PC68 because the older ones tune up better and have better circuitry/components in them IMHO. Whatever you decide,remember,The antenna is the most important part. A good,well tuned antenna will make a cheapy radio sound good.