It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: suggestions for stereo system
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:11 am 
LOST Junkie

Looking to upgrade my muddy system with new door speakers, tweeters, sub and amp. Probably going to go rockford on the speakers and Boston acoustic for tweeters, don't know about sub and amp, probably just some pioneer somethings haha. Any suggestions are appreciated and I have the not so premium "premium" system now with a new head unit. Not looking to blow a huge chunk of cash here, more like keep it below 400 before installation or at least in that ball park. Does one sub work well or is two usually recommended?

03 Sport - SEMI DIGGERIZED, Surco Rack with Daylighters, OME Lift, Runcool Hood Louvers, RL Front Bumper and Super Skink Sliders, 31" BFG AT/KO on Soft 8s, Skid Row/Mopar Skids, 8k Smittybilt Winch with Synthetic Line.
MY BUILD: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59628

Post subject: Re: suggestions for stereo system
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:24 pm 
LOST Junkie

I had one 12" sub in my Cadillac back when I had it. When I upgraded to two 12" subs you could tell a night and day diff in the bass. :twisted: As far as brands....I always use Pioneer head unit & door speakers with AudioBahn subs and amp :2cents:

1995 Jeep Wrangler YJ

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3897619/2005-jeep-liberty-sport-sport-utility-4d

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:20 am 
LOST Addict

Depends on what your looking for. Mixing separate speakers is not a good idea. Use the tweeters that come with the speakers as they are designed to work that way.

I have a single 13"/33cm sub and it provides plenty of bass to piss off most people. Remember the more you show it off, the more likely someone is going to take it from you. I have learned this the hard way.

The best is to be able to hide your system in all of the original locations, that way it is safe and no one can peer in and see what you have. It also works to help with your imaging, especially if your HU has DSP capabilities. $400 is not a lot to work with when it comes to a pair of seperates, a set of coax and a sub with amp plus wiring for all. You should try throwing that $400 on speakers and wiring for now and save up for a good amp and 10" sub. You can get good bass from a higher end 10" if you have the box built correctly, even more so for a JLW7 8" but you need a good amp and more money for that.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:25 am 
LOST Junkie

I think I'm going for some Polk audio speakers with a 4 channel amp to ad some power to them. Then for a sub I don't need anything obnoxious or overpowered so I'm going with a JL CS110 and a JL mono amp. Eventually I'll add in some Boston acoustic tweeters to compete it.

03 Sport - SEMI DIGGERIZED, Surco Rack with Daylighters, OME Lift, Runcool Hood Louvers, RL Front Bumper and Super Skink Sliders, 31" BFG AT/KO on Soft 8s, Skid Row/Mopar Skids, 8k Smittybilt Winch with Synthetic Line.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:27 am 
LOST Junkie

If all I've wired are lights and my winch, how hard would it be to set all this up on my own?

Post subject: suggestions for stereo system
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:12 pm 
LOST Addict

Not hard at all, basically the same. Just takes time to pull everything up and do it correctly. The main thing is to make sure your power feed for the amp is fused inline as close as possible to the battery connection. Normally within 12", this is normally where people make a big mistake. If you don't then if the power lead shorts anywhere along the run, it will become a big ole heater element and burn your vehicle to the ground. It is best to run a main that will be large enough to handle any upgrades down the road so the you do not have to do it twice or three times. My power setup was $500 in itself but it will handle any upgrades I may want to do later down the road. Measure twice cut once. I have installed radios to $350,000 show vehicles so I have a bit of background on doing installs. Take it for what it's worth.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:04 pm 
LOST Junkie

Thanks a ton!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:08 am 
LOST Addict

Your not at Fort Bragg are you?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:28 am 
LOST Junkie

Sure am

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:35 am 
LOST Addict

I have a friend there that knows me from automobile modifying. MP on base first duty assignment.