It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: what to do with radio extra harness?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

I bought a full install kit off ebay for an aftermarket headunit (or so I thought) when pulling out factory unit I noticed it has 2 harnesses. one like 2" wide and the other right next to it about 1/2" long. Now the scosche harness supplied was only the 2" one... after buttoning it up (not connecting the 1/2" connector to anything) I got a can bus error on the dash and the alarm was going off continuously and would not shut off. None of the keys buttons would actuate the locks, and when started the engine would only run for about 5 sec then shut down. Keep in mind this was all while the alarm was going off.

After getting tired of trying everything under the sun I swapped the aftermarket headunit with the factory one. Plugged all connectors in this time and the jeep fired right up, and all buttons, locks work properly with no can bus error or anything. So the question is what is the 1/2" connector really do and how does it get bypassed or whatever to allow everything to work as it should from the factory.

I checked the voltage on the battery, while it had good power I just wanted to make sure so I added my jeep with jumper cables to the mix (before swapping back to the oem head unit) I just wanted to take lack of volts out of the possible reasons list.

Thanks guys in advance!!

Why spend so much money on these simple parts, when its easy as pie to build/fab my own?!?
THIS IS MY POST!!!

Post subject: Re: what to do with radio extra harness?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

I know there are many, many of you out there that have swapped out the factory radio for an aftermarket unit... please shed some light on my situation. Am I missing some piece or do I need to install a jumper wire?!?!? what to do?

Why spend so much money on these simple parts, when its easy as pie to build/fab my own?!?
THIS IS MY POST!!!

Post subject: Re: what to do with radio extra harness?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

See my response on the same question in this same forum.