It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LED replacement bulbs
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Has anyone replaced their headlight bulbs with LED's?
I just ran across this tonight, looks interesting.

http://www.automotivelightstore.com/ORA ... Bulbs.aspx

2010 KK Deep Water Blue,OME Liftplus 1",JBA 5.5 UCA ,Dynaflow cat back exhaust, Weathertech VV & mats,Mopar skids,Atthehelm front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10, Rigid LED's,RL Skink Supersliders,Gecko Safari Basket Detroit Truetrac rear, E-Locker front, G2, Dana 4.10's

Post subject: Re: LED replacement bulbs
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:39 am 
LOST Newbie

Not sure I would go there just yet, let some other people test them out and come across teething issues first. There's plenty of brighter/whiter halogen replacements you can go with in the meantime and the only person who will actually know they're LEDs are you.

What about LED for indicator lights and reverse lights? Anyone using these? Work OK?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:10 am 
LOST Member

I got leds bulbs from amazon at one point. 30$ a piece. They put no light on the road. All they did was blind other cars. I wouldn't suggest it. But for that kind of money just do an HID conversion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:34 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

From what I could see, the bulbs are Cree which is the same brand that rigid uses. Cheap leds don't put out much light but the good ones do. That said, when funds are available I'll get a set for summer time. The main problem that I see is the fact that they don't put off any heat so ice will build up on the headlights in the winter.
You can't do a proper hid setup for that kind of money. The reflector is for a completely different kind of bulb and the hid bulbs need projectors. That setup.is way more than its worth imo.
How many lumens did those Amazon leds put out?

2010 KK Deep Water Blue,OME Liftplus 1",JBA 5.5 UCA ,Dynaflow cat back exhaust, Weathertech VV & mats,Mopar skids,Atthehelm front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10, Rigid LED's,RL Skink Supersliders,Gecko Safari Basket Detroit Truetrac rear, E-Locker front, G2, Dana 4.10's

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:39 am 
LOST Junkie

jeepboy79 wrote:

What about LED for indicator lights and reverse lights? Anyone using these? Work OK?

I'm using LED reverse lights. They're great and plenty bright. I have LEDs for the indicators but haven't jumped into installing them yet because I don't feel like tapping into the wiring right now. I do have resistors to hopefully alleviate hyper flash.

Previous
98 ZJ Laredo SE 4.0, 2" Skyjacker BB, JKS Quicker Discos, Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs, K&N FIPK, Kolak cat & back exhaust, Westin Safari bar, KC lights

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:53 am 
LOST Member

Ted15 wrote:
From what I could see, the bulbs are Cree which is the same brand that rigid uses. Cheap leds don't put out much light but the good ones do. That said, when funds are available I'll get a set for summer time. The main problem that I see is the fact that they don't put off any heat so ice will build up on the headlights in the winter.
You can't do a proper hid setup for that kind of money. The reflector is for a completely different kind of bulb and the hid bulbs need projectors. That setup.is way more than its worth imo.
How many lumens did those Amazon leds put out?

I can't find my order online on amazon... Soo I'm not sure what the lumens were. What lights did you get for the reverse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

I use these for reverse bulbs: http://www.longshotlighting.com/collect ... -bulb-3157
Crazy bright!!! Had them in for 1 year no issues.

OME 927 NS131's
JBA top plates
JBA A-Arms
3 ring clevis
Terraflex bump stops
OME 948 extra iso N132L's
Hockey pucks
Optima Red Top
Cobra 19 4' Firefly on Tram Triple Mag Mount
MOABS W/ 245/75/16 E Duratracs
ASFIR ARMOR
Rock Lizard Super Skink's
Other Stuff................

Size 13 Carbon Foot Print

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:48 am 
LOST Member

I wonder if something like this would work

http://www.quadratec.com/products/97009_802X_PG.htm

Our headlights are 7" housing and these are the same size. They use them on wranglers but I came across them on a buddy's Harley. They are bright as hell with just one though. Not sure if that would fit since it's the same size as our housing or what though. Don't really want to spent $800 to be a gunea pig though lol

Tom Woods 1310 Front driveshaft
JKS Quicker front Disconnects
Synergy 1.75" Wheel spacer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:32 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

HedsIc wrote:
I wonder if something like this would work

http://www.quadratec.com/products/97009_802X_PG.htm

Our headlights are 7" housing and these are the same size. They use them on wranglers but I came across them on a buddy's Harley. They are bright as hell with just one though. Not sure if that would fit since it's the same size as our housing or what though. Don't really want to spent $800 to be a gunea pig though lol

Compare the part number of the housing, out may be the same as the one icy was designed to replace, some parts are the same.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

I put.. Well.. TRIED to put... led globes in my kj... I pulled the globe connector from the drivers side, plugged in the globe to test... Gave the high beam a flick, and there was a bright white light under the bonnet... So far so good... Trouble came when I tried low beam... Turned it on, and got no light... Leaned over to have a closer look... SMOKE FROM THE SOCKET IS A BAD THING!! Long story short, I now have no light from that side on low beam, but high beam works fine... Fuse is fine, so tomorrow I guess I'll be having a close look at the plug to see if I melted something..

Sent from my ZTE V969 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:02 am 
LOST Newbie

Update: I never got around to checking the plug, and it seems I don't need to... A very strange thing happened tonight.. I was driving along at about 60km/h (a touch over 37mph) and hit an owl... darn thing flew from the side right in front of me, hit the front grill pretty much square on, and disappeared over the roof... Sadly, nothing could be done for the owl, I doubt it even realised what had happened.. But when I pulled into a service station to check for damage, I noticed that both of my headlights were now working... No idea how or why, but you know what they say.. If it ain't broke...

Sent from my ZTE V969 using Tapatalk