It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Replacing whole stereo had RB1 and Infinity
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:59 am 
LOST Addict

Has anyone replaced the stereo system that had an infinity system?

My RB1 won't read the map Dvd anymore and sometimes not cds either front door speakers are shot and I want blootth phone features and built in sat radio so I ordered an Alpine combo and 4 new Kenwood speakers.

can I hook up the new head unit and speakers with out running all new speaker wires? Crutchfield didn't seem so sure.... but then said it would work. I read on their page here the wiring needs replaced or adapted but they don't say how

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jFyD9Nj2sk ... sport.html

Post subject: Re: Replacing whole stereo had RB1 and Infinity
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

Its been a long long time since I did mine, and I replaced the head unit and all speakers. I had the Infinity system as well. I did replace the speaker wire for the front speakers out of personal choice. I don't "think" it was necessary just a personal preference.

Hopefully some others will chime in. Give us more details on what equipment you bought. Alpine makes some nice stuff.

I added a sub in the back, and although a space hog I love the sound in my jeep after gutting the old stereo.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:58 pm 
LOST Addict

thanks

This is what I ordered and it shipped out today
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SXM145B ... ml?tp=5684

I am using a pair KenWood KFC-1665s speakers I ordered with the Alpine and a pair of Kenwood Kfc-1668s speakers I bought years ago for a car I traded in before they were installed, so they been sitting on a shelf new in the box 5+ years.
I also got a steering wheel control adapter too.

Funny thing is what started this purchase out was the desire for a bluetooth hands free. I got a Motorola roadster2 speaker phone kit that hangs on the visor it sucked no one could hear me good.... they said I sounded "a mile away" so I returened that. then a few friends said why don't you have it on your car built in? and you can add it you know.... it works better.

I looked in to this path. this unit seemed to do all I needed at a good price. It had good reviews even from people with it in other diesels like sprinter vans and Kenworth tractor trailers that said call quality was good to very good. I figure it will be ok in my little diesel and would bring me more up to date with features I will actually use. I admit I am loosing use of my factory Cd changer which I don't like but its minor since I really cant recall when I used it last or what discs are even in it. the features I am getting more than make up for that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:21 pm 
LOST Addict

I did get my new head unit installed, there are instruction out there to bypass the amp wiring that I got when I called Crutchfield and asked for help with the vehicle. with this chart everything went fine I just took my time to make the connections good.

Here is how it looks

this is a a copy o the directions to adapt the wiring to bypass the former amps

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

[img]"C:\Users\Mark\Downloads\photo%20(3).JPG"[/img]

Double Din in a 2007 Libby

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:44 pm 
LOST Addict

mwne2nks wrote:
[img]"C:\Users\Mark\Downloads\photo%20(3).JPG"[/img]

Double Din in a 2007 Libby

dude I'd love to see your pic but you have to have it hosted on a place like photo bucket, google photos, or dropbox and copy a hyper link to the post here with the IMG button.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:46 am 
LOST Newbie

to OP,

yes you can replace your speakers... stock should have clips that just plug into the stock speaker... simply splice those positive and negatives and stick them in the push terminals of your new speakers.... what i did was splice them, then soldered other speaker wire too it that way it gave me some more room to work with.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:03 pm 
LOST Addict

dejesu wrote:
to OP,

yes you can replace your speakers... stock should have clips that just plug into the stock speaker... simply splice those positive and negatives and stick them in the push terminals of your new speakers.... what i did was splice them, then soldered other speaker wire too it that way it gave me some more room to work with.

Yep that is what I did do. just have to do some extra cutting and splicing at the front door speaker locations if you have a factory system with infinity amp to bypass them per the chart I posted above. I am guessing with out infinity its easy just hook up the wires and done.