It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adding Amp to Stock Radio (RB1)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have the stock premium stereo with the amp on the front speakers. About a year ago I upgraded the speakers in the front and rear doors and was able to use the factory amp. Now I have the funds for an aftermarket amp. Do I have to keep the factory amp and use LOCs with the new amp or can I eliminate the factory amp and just use the aftermarket one?

Post subject: Re: Adding Amp to Stock Radio (RB1)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:40 am 
LOST Member

Eliminate! You will have to do some tracing out of wires. Did you replace the tweeters in the dash?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD (purchased 10/30/12 w/ 52k miles) GDE HotTune & Eco TCU, Suncoast TC, Amsoil Full SAPS (EFM) 5w40, Amsoil ATF, 7" touchscreen Android powered stereo (direct from China) w/ 4G LTE mobile data for streaming Netflix, HBO GO, Slingbox, Pandora, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:53 am 
LOST Newbie

KD6ICZ wrote:
Eliminate! You will have to do some tracing out of wires. Did you replace the tweeters in the dash?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I did. I put components in the fronts and coax in the rear. Sounds much better but an amp would really take it to the next level.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:10 pm 
LOST Member

Shannon wrote:

Yes I did. I put components in the fronts and coax in the rear. Sounds much better but an amp would really take it to the next level.

OK. So you used the factory wiring to the tweeters? What I'm getting at is the 10 pin connector that goes into the amplifier in each door. ALL audio for each side of the vehicle goes through the respected amplifier.

So obviously the two largest wires are +12v and ground.

The other 8 wires are all audio. Four of the wires come from the radio (+/- front and +/- rear). Two wires go to the tweeter in the dash. The last two wires go to the speaker in the rear door. This is exactly duplicated on each side of the vehicle.

What I did is trace out each one of these wires with a continuity tester. Then just cut them at the connector and spliced them together as necessary.

Then I ran Scosche 9 conductor speaker cable from the cargo area (where the amp is located) to the aftermarket plug in wiring harness behind the radio.

Now... It sounds like you want to use the factory RB1? So that will require cutting into the 8 speaker wires on the factory harness and possibly running two of the Scosche 9 conductor cables to/from the amplifier.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

2006 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD (purchased 10/30/12 w/ 52k miles) GDE HotTune & Eco TCU, Suncoast TC, Amsoil Full SAPS (EFM) 5w40, Amsoil ATF, 7" touchscreen Android powered stereo (direct from China) w/ 4G LTE mobile data for streaming Netflix, HBO GO, Slingbox, Pandora, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:25 am 
LOST Member

I forgot to ask if this is a KJ? I just assumed... I forget that there are others on here. But the fact it's an RB1 would point to KJ.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:58 am 
LOST Newbie

KD6ICZ wrote:
Shannon wrote:

OK. So you used the factory wiring to the tweeters? What I'm getting at is the 10 pin connector that goes into the amplifier in each door. ALL audio for each side of the vehicle goes through the respected amplifier.

The other 8 wires are all audio. Four of the wires come from the radio (+/- front and +/- rear). Two wires go to the tweeter in the dash. The last two wires go to the speaker in the rear door. This is exactly duplicated on each side of the vehicle.

What I did is trace out each one of these wires with a continuity tester. Then just cut them at the connector and spliced them together as necessary.

Then I ran Scosche 9 conductor speaker cable from the cargo area (where the amp is located) to the aftermarket plug in wiring harness behind the radio.

Now... It sounds like you want to use the factory RB1? So that will require cutting into the 8 speaker wires on the factory harness and possibly running two of the Scosche 9 conductor cables to/from the amplifier.

Yes its for my KJ. Thanks for the help. I think I can make this happen now. I asked one of the local stereo shops about it and they said I had to keep the factory amps and that didn't make any sense to me. Why go from the HU to the factory amps to a LOC to the new amp then to the speakers? I think it'll be much better to go from HU to amp to speakers. Might put in a signal processor too but IDK yet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:54 pm 
LOST Member

Shannon wrote:
KD6ICZ wrote:
Shannon wrote:

Yes its for my KJ. Thanks for the help. I think I can make this happen now. I asked one of the local stereo shops about it and they said I had to keep the factory amps and that didn't make any sense to me. Why go from the HU to the factory amps to a LOC to the new amp then to the speakers? I think it'll be much better to go from HU to amp to speakers. Might put in a signal processor too but IDK yet.

Just FYI. The factory HU has an amp inside as well. You can power the speakers directly from the RB1 without any other amps. Obviously Chrysler was trying to give the sound more punch by adding the amps in the doors. But those amps take a high level signal from the factory HU.

You will find some good DSP options for adding to factory systems. I know I've seen a couple at Crutchfield.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

Crutchfield also have a really good diagram in their website fir the wiring. I used it when I dud mine as all the wire colors were different to the manual must be an export thing. There are also harnesses available from metra axxess on amazon

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:56 pm 
LOST Member

Tog wrote:
There are also harnesses available from metra axxess on amazon

There are? To bypass the amps in the doors? It would be a simple harness to make but they didn't exist when I did my install.