It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help with speakers, please
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:29 pm 
TRAILIN
TRAILIN

This is my 1st post as I've only had my KJ for about 2 wks now.

I want to replace the factory speakers and I have some concerns.

1. I know that the doors are 6 3/4" but what about the tweeter?
2. Someone told me that the front door is louder because.....well I can't remember why but he said that if I put in an after market speaker it won't be as loud.

I really don't care for loudness. I just want good sound quality with some decent bass every now and then.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Help with speakers, please
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

chetos wrote:
This is my 1st post as I've only had my KJ for about 2 wks now.

I want to replace the factory speakers and I have some concerns.

1. I know that the doors are 6 3/4" but what about the tweeter?
2. Someone told me that the front door is louder because.....well I can't remember why but he said that if I put in an after market speaker it won't be as loud.

I really don't care for loudness. I just want good sound quality with some decent bass every now and then.

Thanks.

1. not a clue. You really do not need to replace them anyway. If you have the infinity sound system, Ive heard the front speakers have amps and cross-overs for the tweeters+ back speakers(amps being for back speakers and cross-overs for tweeeeters). I would get new rear speakers along with new front ones(depending on if you have the infinity sound system) with a new headunit. If you have the infinity sound system then I would get the mopar sub that goes under the drivers seat. Then, if you got a new headunit, you could cut the bass off to the stock speakers and let the sub handle that. Just my $.02.

2. I believe I answered that in numero one-o.

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

1.) Front speakers are 6.75" but if you buy from crutchfield you get adaptors for 6.5" which are more popular. If you aren't going to replace your HU, don't change the speakers, you have to ditch the factory amps (on the Infinity 6-speaker stereo) in order to run aftermarket speakers, and the stock unit just can't put out enough power for them. They still work, but not nearly as loud.

2.) Yes and no, the front speakers on the Infinity system have amps, but the amps power all six speakers, so the fronts are really no louder. The fronts are however the only ones with tweeters, so the highs are louder...

Silver 2002 Grand Cherokee Overland (Not running as of 12/30/2014. Suspect dropped valve seat)

White 2003 Liberty Limited (RIP)

L.O.S.T. #: DV053827

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

So how do I tell if I have the infinity system? is there a badge or just count the number of speakers? I have the tweeters up front. I need to change the door speakers because one is blown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If you DEFINITELY have the tweeters up front, then you have the infinity system. another way to find out is to pull the door speaker out, if it's got a big amp and an infinity logo on it somewhere, that will let you know that it's the premium system as well...

Silver 2002 Grand Cherokee Overland (Not running as of 12/30/2014. Suspect dropped valve seat)

Last edited by SavageSS27 on Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:37 am 
LOST Addict

SavageSS27 wrote:
if you DEFINATELY have the tweeters up front, then you have the infinity system. another way to find out is to pull the door speaker out, if it's got a big amp and an infinity logo on it somewhere that will let you know that it's the premium system as well...

Not true - you can have the "6 speaker" package without having the infinity package (cuz that's what I have). I definitely have tweaters on the dash but don't have the infinity speakers (because I planned on eventually replacing them anyway, and I already replaced the deck)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:43 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

So you have six speakers but no amps on the door speakers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:14 am 
LOST Addict

SavageSS27 wrote:
So you have six speakers but no amps on the door speakers?

As far as I know, yes. I replaced the stock headunit with aftermarket and had no problems. I haven't yet replaced the speakers, so I don't know what's back there, but I can't imagine they are being amped twice.

I have the Group/Option detail sheet for what options were available, and it lists:

RB1: the GPS + cd changer
RCJ: Speakers - Sex, Premium Infinity, Steering Wheel Audio Controls
RSA: Sirius Satellite
I think there is also a separate option for just the 6 disc in-dash player, but I forget what it was called.

I opted for neither of those, and got the single-CD and 6-speaker that is standard in all 2005 models.

But to answer the OP question, if you have steering wheel audio controls, you have the infinity speakers, which are amped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The problem isn't with replacing the head unit. It only becomes an issue if you try to run aftermarket speakers off of the stock unit, since it is used to being amped and won't put out as much power as you may be used to. The amps are only on the front speakers for the Infinity system. They power both the front and rear speakers and the tweeters, kind of a strange way to do it, but i guess it works...lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:31 pm 
TRAILIN
TRAILIN

SavageSS27 wrote:
1.) Front speakers are 6.75" but if you buy from crutchfield you get adaptors for 6.5" which are more popular. If you aren't going to replace your HU, don't change the speakers, you have to ditch the factory amps (on the Infinity 6-speaker stereo) in order to run aftermarket speakers, and the stock unit just can't put out enough power for them. They still work, but not nearly as loud.

2.) Yes and no, the front speakers on the Infinity system have amps, but the amps power all six speakers, so the fronts are really no louder. The fronts are however the only ones with tweeters, so the highs are louder...

OK....but I've been looking at some decks in Crutchfield and most are around 22 watts per channel. Isn't that what my current unit is putting out anyway???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It's very possible that the current unit puts out 22W AFTER the amplifiers, the unit itself does not put out that much power I believe and if it does it is most likely a peak rating, whereas the crutchfield ratings will be an average or RMS, which is usually about 1/2 to 3/4 the peak power handling. If you upgrade your speakers, you must eliminate the factory amplifiers as they are directly integrated into the speaker and there is no other place to mount them. It would be much simpler to just replace the head unit as well. So when you eliminate the factory amplifiers, you cut the power to the speakers by a decent percentage. Your best bet is to do the speakers and head unit in one pass, or to do the head unit first.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:36 am 
LOST Newbie

I also replaced my head unit with a pioneer single DIN and alpine component speakers that come with a set of tweeters and crossovers, i added them to the existing amps and for some reason i cant turn up the volume above 40 as it goes erratic dont know if thats because of the amps but would love to know what you did there might solve my issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:56 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yikes, it's been a LONG time since I messed with any of this stuff (10+ yrs). But IIRC, when I put in the new head unit, I also put in RCA cables, ran them to an aftermarket amp and then out to aftermarket speakers. I think I have some pics floating around of the install. I'll try to find them for you when I get home from work.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

KairoJeep wrote:
I also replaced my head unit with a pioneer single DIN and alpine component speakers that come with a set of tweeters and crossovers, i added them to the existing amps and for some reason i cant turn up the volume above 40 as it goes erratic dont know if thats because of the amps but would love to know what you did there might solve my issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, totally forgot about this until just now. From the sound of things, you should be eliminating the factory amps. The Pioneer H/U should be enough to push those speakers to a reasonable volume on its' own.

You might be having issues if the speakers you put in are a different impedance than the factory speakers, and the factory amps are clipping when trying to drive them. Another possibility is a bunch of distortion from the amps receiving a signal that's already at a much higher amplitude than they're meant for.

I might be talking out of my booty here, but from what I remember, the stock unit was basically just strong enough to send the audio signal to the amps to get stepped up and sent out to the door speakers. With an aftermarket headunit, you can bypass those amps and go straight to the speakers.

Hope you get it sorted.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:33 am 
LOST Newbie

On this topic i pulled the front speakers out as they had torn the speaker fabric , and bought some 6.5 inch speakers to replace them , moved the amp to the door out of the way of the window and made some adapters to fit the speakers to the 6.75 size . i notice someone said you cannot use aftermarket speakers with the old amps , can anyone verify this as the system seems to be working fine

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:37 am 

When my front door speaker starting rattling, I went to my local car stereo shop and they removed the Infinity speakers, then removed the amps from the old speakers, then installed new high quality Pioneer speakers in place of the old Infinity ones. They wrapped the amps in some kind sound deadening wrap they said they use all the time and tye-wrapped them to a metal part in the bottom of the door so they would not rattle or hit anything and wired the OEM amps to the new speakers. Been like this for several years now and no problems. OEM head unit still has full functionality & volume and sounds great... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve