It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:11 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

gkidesign, you have until Tuesday at 9pm EST to downsize the pics to "legal" size or I`ll have no choice but to DQ you. Don`t want to sound like a hardcase, but rules are rules and I want to be fair to everyone. Thanks for understanding.

Mike

EX-Vice Pres. Mid Atlantic Chapter
L.O.S.T. Moderator

Rusty`s Lift, all armor, BB`s, locked, and tons more stuff...and more to come

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:51 pm 
LOST Addict

Talon 1 wrote:
gkidesign, you have until Tuesday at 9pm EST to downsize the pics to "legal" size or I`ll have no choice but to DQ you. Don`t want to sound like a hardcase, but rules are rules and I want to be fair to everyone. Thanks for understanding.

Mike

Two questions:

(1) why don't you simply go ahead and resize them yourself? Aren't you the moderator? You have complete control of the content ... it's obviously not a technical question.

(2) in the event gkidesign entry is disqualified, do we get to vote again? What happens to the votes casted to a disqualified entry?

Post subject: Hope this helsp for question one
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:10 pm 
Admin

One reason is that pictures are posted from other sites so we do not have access to their site...

But the main reason is that we post the rules and they are over looked. I know this might upset some but if you go back and look at the rules...It states in bold what size the pictures should be.

This is unfair to everyone else. The larger picture do look better but what about the guys logging in on dial up...they are hosed to try and look at a full res picture.

We are trying to keep things fair...

If we took care of doing the resizing...then we would end up doing every single picture on this site.

As far as the votes...Not sure on that...maybe we should not have even let him in the contest if the pictures were wrong... Sorry it's just the price we all pay when things dont work like they should have.

Mike calls all the shots on the contest so we will let him call what to do about the votes if these are not resized...

We don't have goveners installed on our cars becasue some drive faster than the speed limit. let those who speed...take the chance of a ticket.

If you post the wrong size picture you are taking the chance of being DQ'ed... sorry the guys doing this site already have a full plate.

9 out of the 10 followed the rules of this contest and it was not a problem...

There is a very easy, simple, and fair way to deal with this from the start...Post the right size picture.

Post subject: Re: Hope this helsp for question one
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:23 pm 
LOST Addict

The Staff wrote:
One reason is that pictures are posted from other sites so we do not have access to their site...

Understood. However, the above does bring up one technicality. If the pictures do in fact come from other sites, how do you then prevent the scenario of "changing pictures", i.e., what I voted for yesterday isn't what is being shown today?

I realize we're still getting the technicalities worked out ... it's worth a thought. I'm not saying anyone would stoop to such a tactic :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:28 pm 

Clint summed it up excellently.

Instead of just dq`ing or deleting, I just wanted to be nice and let him fix the pics since it`s something he can do easily. I`d rather have him (or anyone) in the contest. It`s new, so I`ll give a chance to fix. Next month on, it`ll either size them right or get any pics deleted.

As Clint said, it`s right there in the rules. Just gotta read them.

Mike

L.O.S.T. Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:36 pm 

If someone needs to change their pic(s), they need to ask me first (more than likely I`ll say go for it but it depends on the circumstances). But this is getting really nit picky and we could continue all day with what if`s. Just use common sense and honesty. If someone does something that I deem is wrong, I`ll take care of the situation. If someone notices something that someone does against the rules, then notify me. If you have a logical question, ask me. ;)

Thanks,

Mike

p.s "you" = anyone

L.O.S.T. Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:33 pm 
LOST Member

Don't know what the plan is - but if I might make a suggestion - when the pics are put into a poll/post, just give them numbers and don't put the members name with them. That way people are more apt to vote for the pic instead of the person :)

Might even wanna not post 'em in an "open" forum like this the next time - just have peeps send them to the contest admin - keep it even more top secret!

L.O.S.T. NE #022332
2005 KJ Rennie, Black, Stock for now :)
1995 YJ, Black, Plow Rig, Fun to drive!
My CarDomain Site (under construction)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

NHLiberty wrote:
Don't know what the plan is - but if I might make a suggestion - when the pics are put into a poll/post, just give them numbers and don't put the members name with them. That way people are more apt to vote for the pic instead of the person :)

Actually I like the names with the pictures, it was easier to figure out what was who. And if the guys and gals wanna be tools by voting for their friends instead of the best, oh well. It is our site, ya know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:05 am 
LOST Member

i know this is a first run 'ROTH' contest.. so bugs are out there.. i think we should have ppl submit their entries to someone "moderator" etc.. then nobody sees the pics until its time to vote.. that way no copy-cat type photos..etc. if anyone needs hosting im sure someone even myself would post the pics but someone out there can do it.. there are some sites that are free to host for forums..etc.. as well.. and i like the idea that each pic is numbered instead of names.. cause seems there are a lot of votes for 'friends'.. it all boils down to what we first talked about.. almost every forum i have been in the past that had a contest such as this.. there is always problems.. sorry to say some people are not honest.. so maybe next contest these 'bugs' will be worked out.. so far the pics are awesome :) and thanks anyone for votes for mine

L.O.S.T. #123321

Post subject: Hope this helps
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:24 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Maybe a lot of guys don't know... but Mike and their club are still and was doing this contest even on the old site and have not had any problems what so ever.

The only real snag we ran into was the picture size. if guys want to vote for their friends...oh well. Is that really a problem... We have a great site here and I just dont think we are going to have many problems at all.

Mike keeps every thing on the up and up and does a great job running the ROM contest. Believe me it is a lot of work to keep track of and keep it running in the right direction.

If everyone post the right size picture (and all but one did)... Gets the picture in by the date (everyone did)... Sticks with the theme (Mike took care of that)... there will not be any problems.

In some ways it might be better anyway to post who the pictures are from... that way everyone knows who is running in the contest. We will all know or not if they were a past winner or not and things like that.

I feel bad if a guy gets DQed for the wrong size picture but. It is only fair to the other 9 guys that stuck to the rules. The larger format picture does look better just because of its size and it a clear disadvantage for dang sure.

It was very cool of Mike to let the guy in with larger pictures but I am sure he felt the guy would come back in and resize. We dont know the guy could be out of town or something but the next time around... I am sure Mike will not let the same thing happen. Like I said...their club has been doing this for a while on the old site and they have not had any problems at all.

Everyone should just follow the guidelines and the problem is solved. Thanks guys. later...clint

KE7JLP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:00 pm 

Thanks for some good suggestions. :)

I think doing it all here is much simpler. Also, keeping names to pics is a good idea IMO. It lets everyone know who`s rig it is. Besides, "friends" know what their friends rigs look like and probably have already seen the pics. One way to nullify this is to have every member participate. That way, the #`s will far outway the "friends" that vote. In other words: Get involved everyone! ;)

Hopefully gki will see this soon and resize them. I like giving chances but I`ll do what I have to do. One thing to remember is that the main goal of this contest is to have fun and show off some sweet rigs in cool places. $1,000,000 isn`t on the line so we can relax and enjoy the nice pics.

As for the "bugs", you will get a few no matter what. Now that this has gone to the entire club, there will be lots more of "what if`s" since many more are now exposed to it. The Mid Atlantic folks have done extremely well and so have you guys. I appreciate all the suggestions, even if we don`t apply it. Thanks all!

Mike

L.O.S.T. Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:48 pm 
LOST Member

Just to clarify - I'm cool with any way it goes. I think the ROTM contest is awesome and yer doing a GREAT job with it.

I didn't really mean to imply that anyone would intentionally cheat or stack the votes - just meant that psychologically when I'm lookin to vote - if there's a pic with a name next to it and it's a friend of mine I'm prolly gonna say; "oh that's Bob's rig - I'll give him my vote" and if it's a bunch of numbered pics I'd prolly be more apt to look at the content over the username.

L.O.S.T. NE #022332
2005 KJ Rennie, Black, Stock for now :)
1995 YJ, Black, Plow Rig, Fun to drive!
My CarDomain Site (under construction)

Post subject: resized pictures
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

Sorry, I was out of town and just saw that these needed to be resized. If they are too late for the contest I hope everyone enjoys them just the same.

If they don't count for the water contest I am sure they would work for other contests: "snow", "boulders", "did he make it?", "a Liberty can't do THAT trail", etc...

These shots were taken on the last challenge on Holy Cross trail in Colorado last Oct. Yup, I made it all the way to the top and have a picture of my KJ in front of the Holy Cross City sign .-Glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:47 pm 

Yeah, I had a deadline and had to stick to it. By all means, please do enter other contests! Those are some very sweet pics!

Thanks for understanding!:)

Mike

L.O.S.T. Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:10 pm 
I live here
I live here

Too bad we didn't play in this water before the start of the contest. Yes, there is a KJ (USAFCOP's) behind (and the cause of it) all of that water. The water holes were awesome. It was just a shame you couldn't see them until on top of them. The clouds were so thick around us (yes, clouds, not fog).....of course, fog are/is (?) low lying clouds.

http://www.geocities.com/crispix1965/TEdKJ.jpg

If picture doesn't show, blame Geocities and their hourly view limit. Come back in an hour.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:51 pm 
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint

well here is the pic instead of link hopefully....

Too bad this closed out on the 5th with 10 entries, are you sure too late?

sorry so huge, I do not know how to reduce the size.

Post subject: Kingston peak?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:35 am 
LOST Newbie

That looks like the mud hole on Kingston peak trail. Sorry I was not able to join you guys on Saturday, I did go on Sunday and the weather was much improved. An XJ that was with us hit that hole at speed and drowned. We had to pull him out, pull the plugs and drain half a cup of water out of the K&N cold air intake tube. I always was suspect of those cold air intake pipes, they might be good for performance but they also make it easy to suck up a few cylinders full of water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:00 pm 
I live here
I live here

Yep. Kingston Peak. USAFCOP (Ted) went through it fast and he didn't suffer any problems....except when he lifted his hood and the insulation broke off from being too heavy from the water. I kept my hood down after a quick peek at the engine. The insulation end near the front of the hood was hanging down and if I had kept mine up, it would've fallen off also.

The water was a lot of fun. Did you go through the really big pond size puddle off to the side? I drove through it and had no problems. Wish it had been clear out and gotten a picture of that.

Oh, Ted did bend his front license plate (no frame)......LOL!

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military