It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:06 pm 
LOST Junkie

I, for one, really appreciate this thread resurfacing as it is the first that I have heard about it. I checked my service manual (2005 copyright date) and there it is. It's interesting that while there is no list of items covered, it does state any part ON the diesel engine......would that mean any part attached to the engine as well as the engine itself???? At least I read it that way.

Just for giggles, I'm going to send an email to the GM at my dealeer (Jim Click) along with the link referring to the press release and ask for clarifiaction.....should be interesting.

Once again, thanks to all for the info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

groucho wrote:
Hey Joe,

We had 4 Cherokees without incident except for a dealership/third-party incident on the last one. That spoiled us so this Liberty is a bit of a shock. I don't really stay with it, I just drop it off, but it is getting tiresome. caveat emptor is still the order of the day, the AG's office aside.

You have one of the finest zoos in the country there, so get those grandbabies and get over there. I hope you can stay out of the dealership!

They've been to the zoo many times Calista is almost 5 and Logan is just 3. We had three Cherokees in 5 years and were spoiled. Even the $700 89 was a gem after I spent a week of vacation going completly over it then repainting it. But it was a 2 door 4 speed. Next was a 96 auto 4 door and last was a perfect 99 4 door auto sport. The 89 is driven by a grand daughter of a departed doctor down the street and the 96 is driven by a recent high schol graduate a block away. As I moved up I passed the "old" ones to my son. We recovered all of our costs on both the 89 and 96. My son has my 99 along with my 99.5 jetta tdi! I really miss the reliability of the Asin-Warner AW4 transmission on the XJ's :( the 96 has over 140k miles on it and is still perfect :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:50 pm 
LOST Addict

Joe Romas wrote:
groucho wrote:
Hey Joe,

We had 4 Cherokees without incident except for a dealership/third-party incident on the last one. That spoiled us so this Liberty is a bit of a shock. I don't really stay with it, I just drop it off, but it is getting tiresome. caveat emptor is still the order of the day, the AG's office aside.

You have one of the finest zoos in the country there, so get those grandbabies and get over there. I hope you can stay out of the dealership!

They've been to the zoo many times Calista is almost 5 and Logan is just 3. We had three Cherokees in 5 years and were spoiled. Even the $700 89 was a gem after I spent a week of vacation going completly over it then repainting it. But it was a 2 door 4 speed. Next was a 96 auto 4 door and last was a perfect 99 4 door auto sport. The 89 is driven by a grand daughter of a departed doctor down the street and the 96 is driven by a recent high schol graduate a block away. As I moved up I passed the "old" ones to my son. We recovered all of our costs on both the 89 and 96. My son has my 99 along with my 99.5 jetta tdi! I really miss the reliability of the Asin-Warner AW4 transmission on the XJ's :( the 96 has over 140k miles on it and is still perfect :shock:

Those breadbox Cherokee's were a gem, we sold our early '87 4dr 2wd to a neighbor at 170,000 mile mark. The car now has 230,000 miles and has only had injectors and F&R main seals replaced on the engine @ 235,000, the A/C compressor & drier @ 165,000 miles. Sure would like another like that car. So far the Magnum has been trouble free and a pleasure to drive, along with being the most comfortable car I have ever owned.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

Followup on NC Attorney General request to DC:

After 2 requests to DC to clarify the length of warranty issue for the 2006 CRD, Jeep has still declined to comment or answer the NC Attorney General.

So, there it is. Again, those of you with a warranty booklet showing the longer mileage/time coverage for the diesel would do well to keep them in a safe place. DC will likely claim their printer made an error.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:47 pm 
LOST Member

I didnt get any of this I will have to look through my paperwork........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:41 am 
LOST Newbie

I notifed the Attorney General to discontinue the letters to DC. DC will never respond. We'll just dump it when the time comes. Fact is, DC generates a lot more revenue for the State than I. And, if they donate anything to the State's politicians through their various PACs, that is more than I have.

At this juncture, the CRD is running without too many bumps and jerks. And I've found a good service department, so that is a plus.

So, I'll just sit back and wait for the next round of TSBs. And, recalls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:49 am 
LOST Addict

Hate to say it, but you need an activist type to run with this. Somebody along the lines of a Ralph Nader.
Not trying to steer the thread into a political debate, I swear. :roll:
I appreciate you trying anyway Groucho.

05 Limited CRD. Bought it new. 112k on the clock now.

GDE Eco-tune, rear differential drain plug (drilled and tapped the pumpkin), transmission pan drain plug, Fumoto oil valve, fuel filler neck restriction removed, front hitch, Hayden fan clutch, Sears P1 battery since 08, Mobil 1 5w40, 5 volt glow plugs, DIY timing belt at 109k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:04 pm 
LOST Member

groucho wrote:
I notifed the Attorney General to discontinue the letters to DC. DC will never respond. We'll just dump it when the time comes. Fact is, DC generates a lot more revenue for the State than I. And, if they donate anything to the State's politicians through their various PACs, that is more than I have.

At this juncture, the CRD is running without too many bumps and jerks. And I've found a good service department, so that is a plus.

So, I'll just sit back and wait for the next round of TSBs. And, recalls.

If you have the time to monitor the situation you shouldn't let your AG stop pursuing this. (They are working for you for free -- or your tax dollars already paid for them to harass DC for you.)

Even if DC hands out tons of campaign contributions the one thing they can't do that you and your friends do is vote. Where DC has to invest money, all you need is time.

If you have the time you can let every elected representative you know from the state level and up about the problem with DC. You can get the campaign finance records for any politician; state or federal. Often that influence works in both directions. Point out to the politician that their contributor is mistreating their constituents. Polite, factual, paper letters get far more attention than email. If you happen to mention you are in contact with many others with the same problem, well, there are few things that scare poiticians more than a grass-roots education effort that may not be in their favor.

Tow Package for myself, EVIC TPM
Side Curtain Airbags for my daughter
http://www.kenjennings.cc/crd/dieselexp.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

The mailman didn't get here yet, so I pulled the letter. However, I expect exactly zilch. We'll see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

DC responded to the AG's request. I shall quote the pertinent parts:

"The warranty coverage on his vehicle is limited to 3 years or 36,000miles, whichever occurs first, from the original in-service date. THERE IS NO EXTENDED WARRANTY COVERAGE ON THE DIESEL ENGINE. "(ADDED FOR EMPHASIS)

"This information is consistent with the warranty information appearing on the federally mandated Monroney label." "Based on prevailing market conditions, DaimlerChrysler reserves the right to make changes to our warranty coverage, at any time, without prior notice or obligation."

Thus, if you have a 2006 warranty booklet with extended diesel coverage - good luck! Now, it is your turn to raise a ruckus.

I knew DC could not admit to anything else. Why should they?

End of story. I have decided to keep it until the warranty coverage is kaput. I think the 5th recall came yesterday, plus the TSB work done, so we are continuing apace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

Quote:
"The warranty coverage on his vehicle is limited to 3 years or 36,000miles, whichever occurs first, from the original in-service date. THERE IS NO EXTENDED WARRANTY COVERAGE ON THE DIESEL ENGINE. "(ADDED FOR EMPHASIS)

Their response is interesting in what it states, and also in what it does not state. It refers to "his" (presumably Groucho's) vehicle. It does not state that all 2006 Jeep Liberty diesel engines have only the 36/36 warranty.

Quote:
"Based on prevailing market conditions, DaimlerChrysler reserves the right to make changes to our warranty coverage, at any time, without prior notice or obligation."

Are all 2006 Jeep Liberty diesels not created equal? Did they make a achange in their warranty? Do some of us have a different warranty? There is no doubt that some of us have a different owner's manual, with a section specifically devoted to a separate diesel engine warranty, with terms that appear quite clear to me.

We won't really know the answer until one of us with the "separate diesel engine warranty" has a problem after the 36/36 B2B warranty runs out.

The suspense is killing me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:17 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

groucho wrote:
DC responded to the AG's request. I shall quote the pertinent parts:

"This information is consistent with the warranty information appearing on the federally mandated Monroney label." "Based on prevailing market conditions, DaimlerChrysler reserves the right to make changes to our warranty coverage, at any time, without prior notice or obligation."

Thus, if you have a 2006 warranty booklet with extended diesel coverage - good luck! Now, it is your turn to raise a ruckus.

I knew DC could not admit to anything else. Why should they?

End of story. I have decided to keep it until the warranty coverage is kaput. I think the 5th recall came yesterday, plus the TSB work done, so we are continuing apace.

This would line up with what I saw at the dealership for my 2005 for which my manual specifically states a 7yr/70,000mi diesel engine and component warranty. In their computer at the dealership when I checked in all the applicable warranties are listed, and for mine, only the 3/36 b2b and the 7/70 powertrain showed up, no 7/70 diesel!

I bet they recinded their extended diesel engine warranty for ALL Liberty CRDs made. :!: :shock: :evil:

Daystar 2.0" Lift, P255/70R16 Revos, Boulder Bars, Reese Front Hitch w/9k Hooks, Poison Spyder Rock Ring, MOPAR Skids/Bug Shield/Roof Rails/Mats, WARN Hitch Shackle(Rear), 10k Hitch Hook(Front), Custom Tilt/Slope Meter, Ammo Box Mod, Rotella T 5W-40.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:25 am 
LOST Member

The part of the Liberty CRD that should reasonbly outlast a 7yr/70,000 mile warranty would be the diesel engine itself. Cutting it back to 3yr/36,000 miles makes it look unrelible to consumers. A longer engine warranty on diesels should be a "freebie" from a risk analysis point of view.

Tow Package for myself, EVIC TPM
Side Curtain Airbags for my daughter
http://www.kenjennings.cc/crd/dieselexp.html