It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:39 pm 
LOST Addict

TDI4BY wrote:
I'm stupid, :oops: I was running it part time in the rain etc. at times and used Full time when I was off-road. I told my wife to run it on the first setting(part-time) when there was patches of snow, she mentioned that it was binding up and I thought she put it in the wrong mode. it turns out she did put it in the wrong mode because of me. Oops.

The verbage screws me up too. I remember by color. Green is O.K. anytime. Amber is use with caution.

05 Limited CRD. Bought it new. 112k on the clock now.

GDE Eco-tune, rear differential drain plug (drilled and tapped the pumpkin), transmission pan drain plug, Fumoto oil valve, fuel filler neck restriction removed, front hitch, Hayden fan clutch, Sears P1 battery since 08, Mobil 1 5w40, 5 volt glow plugs, DIY timing belt at 109k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:44 pm 
LOST Member

BioJeep wrote:
When I was young & stupid, my brother & I spent a few weeks driving the autobahn in a rented Mercedes. Kept it well above 100 most of the time. What got me was that I still had to keep keen watch of the rearview as cars (almost always Audis for some reason) would "spontaneously" appear behind us, and pass as if we were standing still. It's crazy driving. It's not right to fear being rear-ended when you're doing 100.

As I recall during my 5 years with the USAF on Ramstein, there were certain sections of the autobahn much "faster" than others. There's a long flat stretch outside of Munich and another (on A6?) outside Frankfurt that attracts high performance speedsters in abnormal percentages. One time on the way to Frankfurt I was doing 110 in the middle lane and something red, and flat, and 24 inches tall passed me in the left lane. Must have been over 170. It was so fast I can't tell you the make. I'm sure it could have been a UFO, too.

Most of the accidents on the autobahn are caused by foreigners. The Germans take their driving very seriously. (e.g. What does a car need with cup holders, since you're not supposed to take your hands off the steering wheel?)

Tow Package for myself, EVIC TPM
Side Curtain Airbags for my daughter
http://www.kenjennings.cc/crd/dieselexp.html

Last edited by KenJennings on Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:36 pm 
LOST Addict

I had a yellow Italian job that translates to "Holy Cow" pass me in '86 outside of Tolon France, he was probably only doing 150 mph so I was able to identfy the Lambo Contouch.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:26 am 
LOST Addict

I have been driving in Germany for nearly 11 years now. My "record" is 170 mph in a Audi S3, chipped, in the rain and dry, sustained driving(4hrs). In a downpour NO ONE can drive ANYTHING at 100mph, it is physicaly not possible. No tire marketed can displace water at that rate. Since here in Germany it never pours, in my area, more than a PITA drizzle, it is not much of a worry. Most of the autobahns here are speed limited anyways. My luck when I head to Kaiserslautern is that A63 is unlimited. I even drive the Nuerburgring in the rain with semi-slicks. I have never, outside the race track, over driven my skills as a driver in any weather condition. Whenever there is a road trip I am always designated as the driver and everyone else sleeps. With 6mm left on the tires and new tires coming from Tire Rack, daily comutes are left to Bundestrasse's and Landstrasse's where the speeds are more 60-80 mph. I have even auto-x ed the Libby in the rain, as well as done some drifting with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:30 am 
LOST Addict

Also you have not lived till you are driving at 135mph and get passes by a Ferrari BB512 doing 200+ and get sucked back into the lane you just left to let him pass and almost into the guard rail. Yes I had to look down to see if I was still moving, thats how fast he passed me.

Also anyone that has been in Germany for any amount of time knows that if you buy a MB then you bought the left lane. Only people that have done lots of driving here in Germany know what I am talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:15 pm 
LOST Addict

Maybe he meant 100kmph ? Those autobahns are nice! No speed limit.