It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help Me Decide
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just discovered this great forum during my recent search for a new SUV.

By way of background, my wife recently informed me that she was tired of our '98 Navigator and needed a mini-van to haul around the kids. I didn't have a problem with that except that I use the Gator (rather than my own car) to haul around my Labs when I go hunting (and to ford the sometimes treacherous post-rain roads here in San Antonio). I was thinking about just keeping the Gator for my use, but a couple of days ago the truck decided it was time to pass on into the SUV afterlife.

So, I starting searching for a replacement. Again, this is my weekend/fun vehicle. I decided I didn't need something as large as the Gator (although it had to be big enough to carry the dogs, guns, ice chests, etc and a friend or two). I decided I wanted something that gets good mileage because I want to be better "steward of the land" than I've been. I also wanted something with decent off-road credentials.

I found the CRD and then this forum. It's a terrific resource.

So here's my questions/concerns:

The Liberty CRD sounds like just the ticket for me. But I'm concerned about the issues described on these pages in such detail. It sound as though the ball joint problem is one that affects every recent Liberty, but should be covered and easy to address. Is that correct? The engine/tranny problems seem a bit more daunting. I'm having trouble discerning if the problems affect some, most or all of the CRD liberties. Are there VIN ranges I should look for or avoid? Are these problems that can be addressed or am I in for a constant hassel? Apart from these issues, how is the build quality and longevity of the Liberty (this will be my first Jeep or DC product)?

Thank you very much in advance for your thoughts!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

You will probably get a mix of opinions on this one, but I will start by throwing my two cents in. While some people on here have had more problems with their CRD's, there are a lot of us on the road who haven't had problems. Mine has just of 20K on it and so far the only thing done to it is a tranny solenoid at around 16K. I drive 60 miles/day round trip to work and it has consistently averages over 23 MPG, and if you factor in the odometer error I am actually getting 25 MPG. This little critter is the best vehicle I have driven in the snow and ice, and if I were to wreck it today, I'd drive half way accross the country to find another one.

Granted, it is not perfect, and there is the dreaded "tranny shudder" but that only happens to me if I gun it up to 65 and then left off. Even then, it stops after about 5-10 seconds. I have yet to get the F37 recall done, but from what I hear, I am optomistic that it will help this problem a lot. Also, like ALL modern US diesels, it has some EGR problems. Supposedly this will get better with the new Ultra Low Sulpher Diesel, and judging by the decline in EGR complaints on the board lately, I'd assume that is true. Most of the problems people have around here can often be linked back to a dealer who didn't know what they are doing. Since you are close to some other TX CRD owners, they can probably tell you where to find a good dealer and that won't be a problem for you.

Bottom line... If you can find one, I'd jump on it!

NEW RIDE: 2008 Flame Red JK Unlimited X 24S Dual tops, Auto, PW/L, Infinity Sound system, Sirius, Tow pkg, side steps
Added: Black fuel door, 7 pin Trailer lights, uConnect + iPod kit, bikini top, AutoPage 2-way alarm, Flexatrunk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:16 pm 
LOST Addict

I absolutely love our CRD and I think most who own them still do, even with the potential of problems.

Find the newest one you can find, buy the longest warranty they offer, (just in case, and for peace of mind. Haggle the crap out of them on the warranty price too :wink: . And buy one. I would do it when gas prices are cheap and diesel is high, if it goes the other way the CRD price will be harder to talk down.

And stick around here, you will learn tons about the little beasties. The whole tranny thing is pretty hot right now so dont be suprised to hear from some people talking trash about the CRD. It really is an irreplaceable vehicle. And I can honestly say that I would recommend the CRD to just about anyone.

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject: CRD
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:53 pm 
LOST Addict

I hate the tranny problems I am having and am still considering sueing DC over them. However, I don't want to give up the CRD-- I bought for the reasons you listed. It has yet to let me down, and it is the best thing around for light off-roading adventure trips. There is no specific VIN range that has more problems than the next-- they all have quirks. The 06's have electronic traction control (ESP) standard-- but only have a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. The 05's have a 7/70 warranty and no ESP.

If you can find one of these new, you better take it. I don't think you will be able to find a "new" one.

It is a tad low in the front, so you may want to get it lifted eventualy. It gets me around ok and I go to some pretty serious places, but I need more space under the front wheels. Oh, and you will want skid plates and tow hooks. The plates are needed-- you cannot leave the pavement without a tranny/engine skid as it protects the oil filter which is mounted low. You should consider rock rails as well to protect the rocker panels. This thing will go places like you would not believe. The mopar skid plates are ok, aftermarket is better. The mopar tow hooks are fine.

Post subject: Re: Help Me Decide
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:38 pm 
LOST Addict

SHP wrote:
Are these problems that can be addressed or am I in for a constant hassel? Apart from these issues, how is the build quality and longevity of the Liberty (this will be my first Jeep or DC product)?

I think you would find little argument about how often I rip on this vehicle. The biggest concerns have been the potential for high loss repairs out of warranty and/or service in shops that are totally clueless with the CRD. I do have to admit that DC is finally owning up to and fixing their biggest design flaw with the transmission. Many new CRD's came out of the box a bit rough. Mine continues to improve over time, much of which the result of very cheap & simple modifications. The ownership experience curve is getting much broader which will help you get one dialed-in for reliable service. As far as the build quality, it is better than I expected. I have owned numerous Chrysler products since the early '80's and this one is by far the best constructed.

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:29 am 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

The KJ CRD is a great truck. My wife and I love it. It's perfect for our adventures and for hauling the dogs and all our hunting/camping/biking/hiking/canoeing/etc. gear.

It can, however, get a bit small if you have a full week (or long weekend if and overpacker) of gear, a human companion, and two canine companions. I would suggest getting something to carry extra cargo somewhere on the exterior of the vehicle. When we're traveling our KJ looks like a giant backpark with gear and stuff strapped all over it.

Anyway, YES, you should buy a KJ CRD. It sounds like it's a prefect fit to your lifestyle and desires, just like it is for ours. If we weren't using our current savings to buy a house, I'd buy another KJ CRD so we'd have two. It's an awesome truck and I wouldn't give ours up fo the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:32 am 
LOST Junkie

As far as the tranny goes, it is pretty stout and is the same one used in the GC behind the HEMI engine. We have had some TC problems that can be construed as tranny problems but are really differant. In some cases, the TC failures my have contributed to some tranny problems.

Hopefully the discussion is academic as DC seems to have stepped to the plate with a fix. Fingers crossed!!!!!

Overall, the CRD is a wonderful beast and we all have a love/hate relationship. If nothing else, it's an absolute hoot to drive.