It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:22 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just had my Libby in for the F37. When I checked out the fluid level after I drove it home, it took 3 qts to get it back to full.

Will be letting the dealer know I am not pleased. 1 qt, maybe. 3qt is down right obscene for a "trained" mechanic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:52 am 
LOST Newbie

Where did you have yours done at Cowpie?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:18 am 
LOST Addict

Remember guys the tech can point to the F37 and say he followed directions, it is weak but might hold up in a court, even their FSM has incorrect amounts listed. That said tech should know to check it hot and in park after the repair, and as in the case of the tech that did my repair knew that it could not be correct with the 1 1/4 qts needed and checked it proper. He got it dead on at the top hot mark. I was impressed and happy with his work, I will tell the owner of the place Monday when see him.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:25 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Actually they can not point at the F37, it is put out by DC so "they" are responsible by representing DC as their official service reps...either way DC takes the hit. That is still no excuse for not checking the dipstick under the proper circumstances.

If we accidently get some bad fuel in our system, they will lay ALL THE BLAME on us...In this instance ALL THE BLAME is on them.

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:33 am 
LOST Addict

DarbyWalters wrote:
Actually they can not point at the F37, it is put out by DC so "they" are responsible by representing DC as their official service reps...either way DC takes the hit. That is still no excuse for not checking the dipstick under the proper circumstances.

If we accidently get some bad fuel in our system, they will lay ALL THE BLAME on us...In this instance ALL THE BLAME is on them.
I was refering to the tech himself, not D/C although in reality I do agree it is all a the blame of D/C whether it was just some poor data imput guy that miscopied or a complete engineering goof-up, as you say D/C is still on the hook.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:40 am 
LOST Addict

Had I picked up the Jeep myself, I wouldn't have left with it in this condition. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:36 am 
LOST Addict

BioJeep wrote:
On a related note, does anyone know how much air at the fuel filter is allowable? Is there such a thing as an air-tight fuel system of our design? I'm guessing not. If no symptoms, then is all well? I ask because although my air leak has apparently been fixed & she's been running good, I still have air in the lines after any operation.

There is a fuel filter design commonly used on commercial vehicles that is an inverted clear bubble with the filter element visible inside. You gauge the condition of your filter by how high on the element the fuel rises (there is a line on the filter element indicating the level when it needs changed). I illustrate this example becaues it would not be possible without some trapped air in the system.

I believe the problem has more to do with quantity of air than anything else. Any air (pockets or bubbles) in the lines that migrate to the IP can cause performance issues and in some cases, pockets can be large enough to completely loose prime. Something as simple as pulling fuel from the tank from idling while fueling can introduce enough air to cause problems. My main concern on the CRD is the low-end hoses/fittings/design. This design works ok when new but I would expect to see leaking problems as it ages. When this becomes a problem on mine, I would like to go to flaired/compression fittings and wire reinforced hoses.

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:10 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Bov wrote:
Where did you have yours done at Cowpie?

My dealer is DeVore Motors in Knoxville, IA. Overall, a good dealer, but not perfect. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:40 am 
LOST Addict

RFCRD wrote:
My main concern on the CRD is the low-end hoses/fittings/design. This design works ok when new but I would expect to see leaking problems as it ages. When this becomes a problem on mine, I would like to go to flaired/compression fittings and wire reinforced hoses.
I have had the same thoughts about ours, but not sure that it is a real problem as long as hoses and clamps are keep in good shape. I never had a problem on the old '83 MB with same set up as did the VW TDI if I remember correctly.

That said I would have prefered to have had better hose and connectors, but if I went through this vehicle and corrected all the things that were done for reasons of $$$$ saved I would have paid several thousand dollars more for the vehicle. My GOD am I taking the side of the bean counters. :roll: :lol:

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:38 pm 
LOST Member

Quote:
There is a fuel filter design commonly used on commercial vehicles that is an inverted clear bubble with the filter element visible inside. You gauge the condition of your filter by how high on the element the fuel rises (there is a line on the filter element indicating the level when it needs changed). I illustrate this example becaues it would not be possible without some trapped air in the system.

That's a very good point.

Quote:
I believe the problem has more to do with quantity of air than anything else. Any air (pockets or bubbles) in the lines that migrate to the IP can cause performance issues and in some cases, pockets can be large enough to completely loose prime.

I'll just keep watch of how she's running then, and keep an eye on those lower connections as time goes on. Maybe bleed the lines every so often, and compare with the quantity I saw when I was having real troubles. I wonder too that if there was a leak of any size, then the air will collect (if not bled out) and will eventually get to the IP, so there's must be a tolerance for air to some degree before performance is affected. I'm sure that if it was a big deal, then the system design, or at least the quality of the connections, would be different, or it would be a common aftermarket issue. Thanks for the help.

Quote:
My GOD am I taking the side of the bean counters.

LOL

03/15/2006 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD w/86,000 mi. Engine lube pump, Provent, V6 airbox mod, Magnaflow, gauges, Amsoil all around, & Wix air filter. Sunroof drain blocked on receipt, stubborn fuel leak at 2200 mi, 3 jammed windows, & 1 bad alternator decoupler, but it's still a keeper!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:18 pm 
LOST Addict

oldnavy wrote:
RFCRD wrote:
My main concern on the CRD is the low-end hoses/fittings/design. This design works ok when new but I would expect to see leaking problems as it ages. When this becomes a problem on mine, I would like to go to flaired/compression fittings and wire reinforced hoses.
I have had the same thoughts about ours, but not sure that it is a real problem as long as hoses and clamps are keep in good shape. I never had a problem on the old '83 MB with same set up as did the VW TDI if I remember correctly.

That said I would have prefered to have had better hose and connectors, but if I went through this vehicle and corrected all the things that were done for reasons of $$$$ saved I would have paid several thousand dollars more for the vehicle. My GOD am I taking the side of the bean counters. :roll: :lol:

I take this perspecitve, most of the diesels I've worked on had atleast 500K miles and would need better hoses & fitting to survive that long. If I make it to that kind of mileage on this CRD it is beacuse I became dirt poor and couldn't afford a replacement. I should also note that mine is running like a clock since the recall work so I'm keeping the hood closed and not screwing with it.

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:51 pm 
LOST Addict

I really hope I don't end up in jail over this.

Yup, that bad.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: