It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: F-37=NO CLUNK ONLY
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:41 pm 
LOST Junkie

I had the F-37 recall done today. Except for the fact that the tranny (tc?) does not "clunk" anymore when I shift between park and drive, or reverse there appears to be no change at all. The shift points seem to be the same (58mph final) and there is no loss of power, or acceleration.

So, to those who believe that the F37 recall is part of a giant conspiracy by DCX to take your guns away, or ravage your wives and daughters I say, take a deep breath. The fix appears to be just a fix. In fact, one could make the case that DCX is being PROACTIVE with the recall as many (most?) of the effected vehicles had no symptoms of a tranny problem.

As I said before, a succesful class action suit for torque reduction (if it could be proved) will happen about the time that VP Cheney completes his first marathon race.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

mine was clunk free now its shifting in hard again between park and reverse and neutral and drive just like before and i now have about 600 miles on sence the f37 other than that a funny noise /vibrating at 80

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:09 am 
LOST Addict

tjfisher*CRD wrote:
mine was clunk free now its shifting in hard again between park and reverse and neutral and drive just like before and i now have about 600 miles on sence the f37 other than that a funny noise /vibrating at 80
Have you checked the tran fluid for proper fill? It should be checked hot after driviong 5 to 10 miles and then parke on level and put in park to check.

F37 calls for 1.25 quarts of fluid, and it will take about 3 to 5 quarts depending on how much is lost when lines are pulled. Some techs may plug lines and others just let them drain.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:18 am 
LOST Junkie

O.N.

Funny you should mention that. When I picked up the car I spoke with the service mgr about the report of short fluid fills due to a problem with the recall listing. He said that they will not schedule the recall fix unless their tranny tech can do the job. The sm said the tech fills the tranny at the end of the job, takes the vehicle on about a 8 mile loop drive (probably stops for a beer too) and then checks fluid level at end of drive. He showed my work sheet which called for 4pts, but I don't know whether that is from the initial fill only, or whether more was added after the test drive.

I am coming to strongly suspect that about 99% of the problem people have with their CRDs is related to stupid and/or incompetant and/or lazy service techs and service managers who could not care less about the diesel. In my case, I picked my dealer because he sells many dodge diesel trucks and has 3 diesel techs. I have had very few problems with the CRD and the "tractor engine" as one of the techs likes to say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:20 pm 
LOST Addict

vtdog wrote:
O.N. I am coming to strongly suspect that about 99% of the problem people have with their CRDs is related to stupid and/or incompetant and/or lazy service techs and service managers who could not care less about the diesel. In my case, I picked my dealer because he sells many dodge diesel trucks and has 3 diesel techs. I have had very few problems with the CRD and the "tractor engine" as one of the techs likes to say.
Yes two very important things when buying a diesel is the service dept and where you buy fuel. Most people here are first time diesel owners and have little experience with the problems or quirks of diesels, and are at the mercy of the dealership. It was a big problem with VW owners when diesel tech's dissapeared from the dealerships in mid 90's for better pickings in the truck world and the fact that when you think about the problem of so small a % of the vehicles being diesel the tech's really could not come proficent. Same with small dealerships that sell just Jeep or Chrysler & Dodge cars, but few Dodge truck and almost no Cummins equipped trucks.

When Jeep did the test market for the CRD one of the objectives was to see if the women buy Liberty's would buy a diesel, but guess what happened. You got the figures of male to female buyer just swapped. The sales of Liberty was 80% to females, the CRD was about 95% male sales. Heck, my wife wanted a Touareg V10 diesel till she heard the price & fuel ecomony of the thing.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:04 pm 
LOST Junkie

The fuel station I use calls the new ULSD "dame's diesel" as it has little, or no smell. They figure that women will have less problems buying/using a diesel vehicle if they 1. Don't have to go to a truck stop, or separate island and 2. The fuel does not smell bad