It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:26 am 
LOST Addict

cerich wrote:
my CRD went thru a quart every 300 miles when filled to the full mark on the dipstick, when I pointed out to the dealer the engine takes 6.4 quarts instead of the 8 they had been using during the oil changes/oil consumption test they started it just stopped dead.
I took it in for an oil change two weeks ago, I had done just over 7,000 miles on the previous change and the oil was on the exact same spot as when it was filled with 6.4 qts. (I got so tired of visiting the dealer twice or more a month, I simply couldn't be bothered to get the %k oil change I usually do or even get some warranty work on a power window or a fogging fog light)
Yes the local dealer just throw's in 7 qts when doing a oil change for one of their Liberty's. The lube bay is the only part of the local dealership I would not take my car to for service, they are in a seperate section of the shop area with little to no supervision. They are paid a minium wage + comission for each car they service, which has led to incomplete or improper oil changes to say the least.

It is amazing that even the dipstick is not calibrated properly on our CRD, I had to re mark the full line for proper checks. I just fiugure it was because they had to replace my dipstick & tube that was bent and unusuable from the factory, but later from what a few have posted here it seems that the dip-stick is improperly marked.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:11 pm 
LOST Addict

On my mother's '92 Mustang convertible with a 5 L engine, it actually states in the owners manual that the engine takes 5 quarts with a filter change, that doing so will give an oil level on the dipstick well over the full mark, not to drain out any oil when you find this, and not to add any makeup oil until the level drops to the add mark and then add 1 full quart, which will put the level back well over the full mark.

All that BS just so the bean counters could save a few pennies on a properly marked dipstick. :roll:

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:22 pm 
LOST Member

When I checked the dip-stick it had some oil on, it was pretty low, I'd say a half inch up the stick. I'm on hold with the dealership right now, I would find it hard to beleive that they could void my fat warranty with only 4350 miles on the jeep, has anyone heard of this actually happening to a new vehicle?

OD '48 Willys CJ2a: fresh motor, new wiring harness, stainless exhaust, bestop, 34" TSLs and about 200 hours into the thing, possibly FOR SALE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:32 pm 
LOST Member

Problem fixed!!! It was a busted fuel sensor which they said caused the ECU to think the jeep was out of gas and shut everything down. Hmmm, sounds like the worst design ever! So they did the F31 recall and its good to go. I told them that under no circumstances should they do the F37, was that a smart move for now?

OD '48 Willys CJ2a: fresh motor, new wiring harness, stainless exhaust, bestop, 34" TSLs and about 200 hours into the thing, possibly FOR SALE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Maybe next time you could have a better title to your thread than...Engine Failure :wink:

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:40 pm 
LOST Member

Maybe next time it will be you with the completly dead jeep in the middle of the road on the way to the airport. Just messin with you, I've just never owned a vehicle newer than 1988 so I'm not used to all this fancey drive-by-wire and ECU bs, I would never have thought that a computer could be so stupid to just shut everything down due to one faulty snensor but hey, I guess I should have known.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:15 pm 
LOST Member

What happened to the metal shavings on the dip-stick?????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:54 pm 
LOST Member

Apparently they looked over everything and found that the oil level was fine, I will double check the metal shavings on the dip-stick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:34 pm 
LOST Member

I though the F37 was the software from the F31 plus the new TC?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:38 am 
LOST Addict

CRDburnouts wrote:
Problem fixed!!! It was a busted fuel sensor which they said caused the ECU to think the jeep was out of gas and shut everything down. Hmmm, sounds like the worst design ever! So they did the F31 recall and its good to go. I told them that under no circumstances should they do the F37, was that a smart move for now?

Worst design ever? Let me share some insight and experience about diesel injection hardware. Diesel fuel serves 3 functions: 1). A fuel, 2). A Lubricant, 3). A coolant. Run one out of fuel and you will likely trash the pump and/or a set of injectors. A computer interlock to throw it into shut-down for an extremely low fuel level just saved you big $$$ on a replacement pump. BTW, diesel injection failures are almost never covered under warranty as they are usually the result of owner negligence or bad fuel.

You can do yourself a big favor by not running a diesel under 1/4 tank. In your current Winter weather, you would be best to keep your tank as full as possible as it will prevent water contamination from condensation.

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:47 am 
LOST Addict

Are we thinking that this vehicle will never actually run out of fuel?? The ecu will shut engine off before you are truly empty?
I'm kinda confused as to which sensor went bad. Fuel level or fuel pressure? Fuel level shutting off the engine would be a new one for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:58 am 
LOST Addict

onthehunt wrote:
Are we thinking that this vehicle will never actually run out of fuel?? The ecu will shut engine off before you are truly empty?
I'm kinda confused as to which sensor went bad. Fuel level or fuel pressure? Fuel level shutting off the engine would be a new one for me.

If I'm cross-reading the threads correctly they dropped his tank to change a defective sending unit which had caused his engine to go into shut-down (and of course lost/stole his fuel). It would be possible to set a switch/level sensor to trigger such a event, no different than illuminating a low fuel light on the dash. Would think this should throw a CEL???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:45 am 
LOST Addict

Possible yes, needed... I'm not going there.What's next? Crd won't go into drive because the tire monitor tells your ecm that a tire is low and you could damage it?? This crap is really starting to piss me off. Stupid sensor telling me my washer fluid is low,fuel light telling me fuel level is low(yep the gauge says empty) dash telling me my door is open(gee I couldn't tell with the interior lights staying on and the wind noise)Useless crap just adds money and complexity to it. What we really need is a common sense sensor. Of course 1/2 of the people couldn't drive then.Fricken commie jeep. RANT OVER.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:32 am 
LOST Addict

onthehunt wrote:
Possible yes, needed... I'm not going there.What's next? Crd won't go into drive because the tire monitor tells your ecm that a tire is low and you could damage it?? This crap is really starting to piss me off. Stupid sensor telling me my washer fluid is low,fuel light telling me fuel level is low(yep the gauge says empty) dash telling me my door is open(gee I couldn't tell with the interior lights staying on and the wind noise)Useless crap just adds money and complexity to it. What we really need is a common sense sensor. Of course 1/2 of the people couldn't drive then.Fricken commie jeep. RANT OVER.
Hey OTH take a chill pill or deep breath and remember that you are not one of the vast majority that needs someone to tell them when to wipe their behind. I see people everyday that have at least one of those conditions and don't have a clue, some can't even figure out that there is a warning light telling them something is wrong.

Last night (about 9:00) I had to stop a man driving a top of the line '05 Caddy and tell him he needed to turn his lights on, he was just running with his DRL's on, no instrument lights by the way, and he could not figure out his problem till told him. I saw a fairly new Toyota (sporty 2 dr coupe) with tires so low they were running on the sidewall lettering and had huge tread loss on the edges, not sure how much futher her tires wil last. I can only hope it is not on crowed freeway at speed, maybe on some lonely back road where she would be eliminated from the gene pool.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:39 am 
LOST Junkie

oldnavy wrote:
Last night (about 9:00) I had to stop a man driving a top of the line '05 Caddy and tell him he needed to turn his lights on, he was just running with his DRL's on, no instrument lights by the way, and he could not figure out his problem till told him.

Sounds like a classic example of more money than brains. BTW...don't those caddies have auto headlamps? Heck my wife's 05 Chevy Uplander has automatic headlights...once it gets fairly dark...they come on automatically.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:13 am 
LOST Addict

no-blue-screen wrote:
oldnavy wrote:
Last night (about 9:00) I had to stop a man driving a top of the line '05 Caddy and tell him he needed to turn his lights on, he was just running with his DRL's on, no instrument lights by the way, and he could not figure out his problem till told him.

Sounds like a classic example of more money than brains. BTW...don't those caddies have auto headlamps? Heck my wife's 05 Chevy Uplander has automatic headlights...once it gets fairly dark...they come on automatically.
Yes they do, but the switch needs to be in the auto/on position before they work.

It is like seatbelts and PU trucks here in MO, they are exacempt from the buckle up law in the past, and the major cause of deaths (slightly over 90%) in a PU was ejection from the truck. I think they have now change the law where PU are also required, but not sure.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:17 am 
LOST Junkie

Yup, that's the way the wife's uplander is. It has four positions O = Off, Auto = Auto, P = Parking lights, and then a little icon for headlights which of course manually engages all the lights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:35 pm 
LOST Member

onthehunt wrote:
Stupid sensor telling me my washer fluid is low.

what gets me is with the EVIC ... you have two possible things telling you washr fluid is low ... the EVIC and the ODO will flash to LOW WASH ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:44 pm 
LOST Addict

onthehunt wrote:

You left out my favorite, passenger air bag sensor/light glowing because I have a bookbag on the front seat.

And last but not least, CEL which means drive it anyways because parts are on backorder. :lol: