It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nasty sounds
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:33 pm 
LOST Member

I've got some nasty clunking sound coming from my front end once each time when turning. It seems to be getting worse, and now this morning, there is a click click click, sound when slowing to a stop. I already had the LBJ recall done, so I am wondering as to what the heck might be going on. I think I'm going to take it into the dealer tomorrow morning.

245/75/16 Maxxis Buckshot Mudders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:35 pm 
LOST Junkie

Get it to a dealer ASAP! That really sounds like a ball-joint issue...but it could also be something else suspension related or a bad bushing. Have it towed in if you can. If it is a ball-joint, you don't want that thing coming apart on you while driving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:38 pm 
LOST Member

Oh, wow; and I just had it off roading the other night before it got real bad. Sure wouldn't want to get stranded in the middle of the woods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Could be a CVJoint going bad....they clack...clack...cleack...then explode

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:00 pm 
LOST Member

What is the likelihood they will say: "You must off-road your liberty because we found evidence of water in the CV boots as well as dirt packed in your engine skid plate, and therefore the parts required to repair your liberty are not covered under warranty"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:46 pm 
LOST Junkie

Make sure you clean it up before you take it in. If they try to say you had it off-road, then tell them they are full of crap. See what happens.

Post subject: Off Road?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:45 pm 
LOST Member

Isn't a jeep liberty 4x4 made for off road?

EHM, MagnaFlow SS Cat Back, FS-2500, HDS 001 TStat, Some Gauges, PML Trans Pan, PML Diff Cover, Marinco Mod, FIA Blanket, Cooper Discoverer ATR 225/75, CTS 245/70, Front-JBA 2.25" C/Os, Rear-OME HD, JBA UCA, SS Brake Lines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:32 am 
LOST Member

I would point to the badge on the side.

Suncoast converter in a rebuilt trans with new pump and shift kit.
Yeah, It's got a diesel.

SOLD FOR GMC PICKUP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:53 am 
LOST Newbie

exactly it is "trail-rated" :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:42 pm 
LOST Member

Last night I cleaned it up underneath real good, getting all the dirt/mud cleaned up. Then I brought it in this morning to the dealer and took the courtesy shuttle home. This afternoon, the service writer called and said that "there is frame damage", and that I "need to take it to the body shop" they "aren't going to do anything else with diagnosing the suspension noise" until I "either pay a diagnostic fee, or take it to the body shop and have them take a look at it and repair the frame".

I went round and round with him, explaining that the corner of the 1st K-member has been curled back like that for quite a while, and is not interfering with the control arm bushing or anything, and that this noise is very new and is therefore most likely unrelated, so please investigate it a little further before writing me off like this. He just said that "We cannot do anything suspension wise as long as there is any sort of frame damage, otherwise you will have to pay for any further diagnostics, even if it turns out to be warranty related".

I, frustrated, gave up haggling and told him I would do the diagnostics myself when they are finished finish fixing my EGR valve, which it is also in for. Adding to my frustration even further, they said it will take at least a few days to diagnose the EGR valve problem (they replaced the FCV a few weeks back, but it was still throwing the codes, and now they don't know what to do next without calling STAR, even I know if it isn't the FCV, then it must be EGR valve itself throwing the codes :roll: ).

This is really frustrating. I think I am going to take it back home once they are done with the EGR valve, bang out the little curl in the corner of the K-member, do some diagnostics on the suspension noise, and bring it to another dealer, and explain to them exactly what needs to be fixed.

This is a Trail Rated Jeep for God's sake, it is going to get some little bumps here and there. I guess at least they didn't void my warranty over this. :roll:

Am I expecting too much from the dealer, or should I feel as maligned as I do in this matter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:59 pm 
LOST Member

welcome to the wonderful life of JEEP. DCX style.

LOST #-169388
'79 CJ-5
32x11.50x15
304 V8

'08 Chevorlet HHR
Victory Red
Stock for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:25 pm 
LOST Addict

I think they are not out of line. I don't know the extent of the damage to your uni-body but any tweek or stretch to it could throw off a number of alignments and operating angles. Don't assume that whatever is wrong is new. It could have just taken this long to appear when the frame was damaged. I think they are doing you a favor and getting everything back to spec to find out what's really wrong instead of just throwing parts at it and not really fixing the root problem. I also think it was nice of them not to deny you warranty on the spot. They are giving you another chance to bring it back with no obvious wheeling damage so they can fix it under warranty. I can't believe how many people go out and wreck things on the trail and expect jeep to cover it. No vehicle manufacturer does that. If they did, it wouldn't take them long to be out of business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:29 pm 
LOST Junkie

Sounds like you better find a reputable body shop to have that fram damage repaired. I agree that the dealer isn't out of line. If there is frame damage, it needs to be fixed ASAP. From everything I am hearing it doesn't sound like this vehicle is safe to drive.