It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CRD 5 wheel tire rotation thoughts?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:09 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yesterday I noticed my left front tire is developing a slight ware pattern at 4900 miles. So I looked in my manual for tire rotation. All that's shown is 4 wheel and I wanted all five. I looked on the goodyear phamplet, same. I put this in the CRD section because our rotation is recommended at 6000 miles by goodyear and DC for the CRD. I did a google and found several sites listing a 5 wheel rotation for rear wheel drive or 4x4. Why have a brand new tire and wheel just hanging on the back? I know what most think about the stock tires but I paid for them and want to make them last as long as possible. I found what I wanted and sure enough the left front goes to the spare position. Any comments :?: I tried to post a image of what I found but was unable to figure out how :oops: BTW I run 35 pounds all around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:15 am 
LOST Member

I always use a 5 tire roatation on my CRD. Why waste a tire? When you get new tires you are going to want all 5 to match, Right? And you are not going to buy the same Crapyears are you? So use it now.

LOST #-169388
'79 CJ-5
32x11.50x15
304 V8

'08 Chevorlet HHR
Victory Red
Stock for now.

Post subject: Re: CRD 5 wheel tire rotation thoughts?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:28 am 
LOST Addict

Joe Romas wrote:
Yesterday I noticed my left front tire is developing a slight ware pattern at 4900 miles. So I looked in my manual for tire rotation. All that's shown is 4 wheel and I wanted all five. I looked on the goodyear phamplet, same. I put this in the CRD section because our rotation is recommended at 6000 miles by goodyear and DC for the CRD. I did a google and found several sites listing a 5 wheel rotation for rear wheel drive or 4x4. Why have a brand new tire and wheel just hanging on the back? I know what most think about the stock tires but I paid for them and want to make them last as long as possible. I found what I wanted and sure enough the left front goes to the spare position. Any comments :?: I tried to post a image of what I found but was unable to figure out how :oops: BTW I run 35 pounds all around.

Start by bumping the fronts up slightly to 38-40 psi. It will balance the extra weight of the diesel better and even the wear. I did a 5 tire rotation trying to maximize mileage from the factory tires. Did this through 3 rotations and decided my life & safety was more important than $400 to stretching mileage from these tires. Rotated them straight to the first trash recepticle I could find and started over (keeping one for a spare).

Most 5 tire charts take the spare to the RH rear (or LH front) and then do the same straight back/cross the rears to the opposite front position pattern. Whatever pattern you choose, keep a copy in your manual and stick to the rotation. 6-8K is a good mileage to use.

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I just kept the stock one on the rear(spare) when I got the new tires because if I ever need it because of a flat it is just there to get me home.

Post subject: diagrams
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:19 pm 
Biodiesel Enthusiast
Biodiesel Enthusiast

Here are some schematics from tirerack.com:

Here is the link to the article; 5 tire rotation is discussed at the bottom: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=43

L.O.S.T. # 068768
Rock Lizard Skink Sliders, Skid Row tranny skid, Wet Okole seat covers, Black Widow roof basket, front tow hooks, cargo/pet partition, all Amsoil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

I thought about the same thing, but why not save the tire, then when you need new tires buy only three and use the spare. Any thoguths?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

cocojo wrote:
I thought about the same thing, but why not save the tire, then when you need new tires buy only three and use the spare. Any thoguths?

When getting new tires you would not have a matched set unless you got more of the same and many don't like the oem tires :roll: