It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Out of warranty, CEL, brakes, suggestions????
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:49 pm 
LOST Member

Back in the states after 3 months in Quebec, where I made the F37 recall and got the CEL P0401.
Here's the current repairs pending:
1) The rear right brake is always on, funny cause the previous owner got that same exact problem and they end up replacing the ABS "system"
2) the Flow Control Valve is making noise all the time, so I suppose its that one that need to be replaced and not the EGR itself. Note that EGR was replaced 3 times so far
3) I got twice a very big vibration while getting out of parking (cold), sound coming from the transmission (BTW they did replaced the TC during the recall, it was starting to get in pieces...). The engine almost stall then revved back to idle, after that everything's fine. I'm a bit worry about that one.

Now the real bad part: i'm at 45,000miles now. Those parts & labor will probably cost me $1000+. I bought the Jeep last year (at 27k) for $17000, now bluebook in my area says its worth ONLY $12000... I feel screwed, it's like 30% value down now.

Do I swallow the pill and continue paying, or try to get rid of it at the Jeep dealership by swapping with something lying (pun intended) in their parking lots

Or is there any other solution? I'm open to be the guinea pig to try anything!
Thanks

'03 Lexus GS300 Sport Design/NAV/ML

Post subject: Re: Out of warranty, CEL, brakes, suggestions????
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:05 pm 
LOST Member

blacksmoke wrote:
I'm open to be the guinea pig to try anything!
Thanks

I sometimes believe all CRD owners fall into the guinea pig category.

Greg

*SOLD*2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 CRD, Bright Silver Metallic, Dk/Lt Slate Gray Leather w/bun warmers, 5 spd auto, 22G pkg, Trailer Tow, 3.73 Rear Axle w/Trac-Lok Differential, P235/70R16 Firestone Destination LE's, Power Sunroof, Selec-Trac 4WD, Infinity 6-Disc In-Dash, Magnaflow #15870 System.

Post subject: Extended Warranty...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

I really hate to think this is the answer, but the Chrysler extended Warranties may be purchased up to 48 months and 48K miles. I went to ChryslerServiceContracts.com and punched in a 05 Liberty CRD 4x4 and came up with 1895 for the 5 year/ 100k mile Maximum Care w/ $100 deductable. I have seen in a little cheaper at some other sites, but this is the first one that came up in my search engine.

NEW RIDE: 2008 Flame Red JK Unlimited X 24S Dual tops, Auto, PW/L, Infinity Sound system, Sirius, Tow pkg, side steps
Added: Black fuel door, 7 pin Trailer lights, uConnect + iPod kit, bikini top, AutoPage 2-way alarm, Flexatrunk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ypu might want to check on your factory warranty...most 2005"s came with 70,000.

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:40 pm 
LOST Member

DarbyWalters wrote:
Ypu might want to check on your factory warranty...most 2005"s came with 70,000.
Not for the EGR or Flow Control Valve that ends at 36K in you don't have and extended warranty. The 7/70 on covers the hard parts in the powertrain ,basicly no emissions or electroics are covered.

That being said I'm at 50K and my CEL has been on for about 3 months now......... EGR stick open when It wants too :evil: and I have no intention on replacing it for the 4th time and definatly not on my dime :? So mine will get unplugged or blocked (most likely both) and the CEL can just stay on till the bulb burns out as far as I'm concerned........ ok sorry for the rant :P

The bad part is that I really like my CRD. But I really hate DC ,they will never get another dime of mine :evil: .......... well except for oil and fuel filters :oops:

L.O.S.T. #053490

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:04 pm 
LOST Member

Bonehead wrote:
Not for the EGR or Flow Control Valve that ends at 36K in you don't have and extended warranty. The 7/70 on covers the hard parts in the powertrain ,basicly no emissions or electroics are covered.

You may want to investigate further.....the EGR valve should be covered under the 8/80 Federal emissions warranty.

The Exhaust Emission Warranty covers corrosion-related parts for 2 years/24,000 miles, plus 8 years/80,000 miles on the catalytic converter and any on-board diagnostic device.

Greg

*SOLD*2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 CRD, Bright Silver Metallic, Dk/Lt Slate Gray Leather w/bun warmers, 5 spd auto, 22G pkg, Trailer Tow, 3.73 Rear Axle w/Trac-Lok Differential, P235/70R16 Firestone Destination LE's, Power Sunroof, Selec-Trac 4WD, Infinity 6-Disc In-Dash, Magnaflow #15870 System.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:45 pm 
LOST Addict

gsbrockman wrote:
Bonehead wrote:

You may want to investigate further.....the EGR valve should be covered under the 8/80 Federal emissions warranty.

The Exhaust Emission Warranty covers corrosion-related parts for 2 years/24,000 miles, plus 8 years/80,000 miles on the catalytic converter and any on-board diagnostic device.

Greg

The EGR valve is specifically excluded after 3/36 has expired. It's a line item in the emissions warranty section and even goes on to explain how gracious DCX is for extending it to 3/36 eventhough the Federal emission regs only require 2/24 warranty.

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:06 pm 
LOST Member

RFCRD wrote:
The EGR valve is specifically excluded after 3/36 has expired. It's a line item in the emissions warranty section and even goes on to explain how gracious DCX is for extending it to 3/36 eventhough the Federal emission regs only require 2/24 warranty.

I stand corrected.

Upon further investigation, I found this :

Clean Air Act Warranty Provisions (42 U.S.C. S 7541 (C) (3) (B))

The federal Clean Air Act requires vehicle makers to provide two emissions-related warranties -- a production warranty and a performance warranty. The production warranty requires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle is designed, built and equipped so that it conforms with emissions requirements at the time of sale. The performance warranty requires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle will comply with applicable emissions requirements as tested under state vehicle emissions inspection programs for the warranty periods specified in the law (for model year 1995 and later vehicles, the warranty is 2 years/24,000 miles for all emissions-related parts and 8 years/80,000 miles for the catalytic converter, electronic emissions control unit and on-board diagnostic device). The performance warranty is conditioned on the vehicle being properly maintained and operated.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:13 pm 
LOST Member

gsbrockman wrote:
...and 8 years/80,000 miles for the catalytic converter, electronic emissions control unit and on-board diagnostic device...

Therefore FCV and EGR would fit in the "electronic emissions control unit" category!?!

Very intriguing, I'm gonna stop at the dealer this week with this info, my FCV is making such a rattle now :shock:

i have the OBD scanner plugged all the time to reset the light (every 50miles or so) therefore I know its "only" the FCV/EGR but its kinda lame to not being able to resolve the problem once and for all...

'03 Lexus GS300 Sport Design/NAV/ML