It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Horrible sound from Front end
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:42 am 
LOST Newbie

When going over speed bumps that dips down on the other side of it or through a hole whithout going soo slow, a horrible grinding nose comes from the front right side of the jeep. It sounds horrible and hubby said it was the rubber bushings rubbing. Hubby said not to worry but it has 45k miles on it and this is being added to our long list of problems.

I am not traveling fast through these holes and speed bumps by anymeans. I do not rag out my jeep, we have waited too long to have a new car and we just so happened to be diesel freaks and just had to have the CRD.
We are only covered under the 7/70 warranty now and we don't want to have to replace these if we don't have to.

Is anyone else having this problem with this noise?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:59 pm 
LOST Member

I get a similar noise going over speed "tables" but I don't recall if it is from the front or rear of the Jeep. I think your hubby is on to something regarding the bushings-particularly in the cold. Remember that even going slow over speed bumps will cause a large amount of travel in the suspension.

Last edited by midwest on Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:05 pm 
LOST Member

It could be one of the engine mounts, have someone rock the jeep violently back and forth by the roof rails while you are underneath with a flash light (engine skid plate removed). Look at the relation of the engine/top of the engine mount, and the frame/bottom of the mount. If you can hear a clunk, and watch the mount clunk over side to side as if it is sloppy/loose, then you have a loose motor mount bolt or a bad mount. It seems there is problems with the engine mount(s) failing, especially the passenger side, with some of our CRD's. Hopefully your clunk is nothing though. If it turns out to be bushings, you could lubricate them with silicone grease.

245/75/16 Maxxis Buckshot Mudders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

It's most likely swarbar links and bushings. they are designed to wear and are usually covered by the basic warranty. they sound like the front end is falling off when worn. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:40 pm 
LOST Addict

Sway Bar Bushings. Been there and done that on 3 different KJs. We don't even worry about it anymore because it can only be temporarily fixed.

Just chalk it up to it being a Jeep. They make lots of strange noises.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:35 pm 
LOST Junkie

Check out the 4X4 forum....we have the same noises coming from the petrol KJs...it's not just a "CRD-Related" noise. It's definitly the front sway bar bushings. Like Marlon said...it's a Jeep thing. I used NAPA brand Silicone Spray....spray ALOT in the bushings and where the swaybar connects to the Lower A-Arm...it should take care of the noise for a while until they dry out again. I've shot mine twice this month....it's a temporary fix. Happy Jeeping...

89' 2 Dr. Khaki XJ- Waggy 44's, 4.88s, 35's, 3-link on 5.5" coils.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:20 am 
LOST Member

Wouldn't aftermarket polyurethane bushings solve this problem?

245/75/16 Maxxis Buckshot Mudders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:36 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the quick replies! I read them to Mike and he said, "I told you so!!"

When I called the dealership today, I decided not to say anything about them.

We will se what the dealership does about all the "CRD's troubles" before we do anything about the bushings.