It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Transmission died on the way home
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I had been putting off the f37 recall since the front transmission seal was replaced in November just a couple of days before the F37 recall. Today I got some noise getting on an expressway, I managed to drive about 15 miles before it died. My hope was that it would last long enough to allow Jeep enough time to solve the problem. The CRD just passed 19K miles.

Lewis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:35 pm 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

Bummer. How do you know it is tranny noise?

Could the Aztecs have known, that in 2012 after a 4 year experiment, our country would cease to exist?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:58 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

BVCRD wrote:

Truth is I did not know. The posts I have read described the noise to be more of a metalic scraping when idling, what I heard was more like an exhaust leak or a loud engine noise. I was trying to get to the dealership when the transmission quit at a stop sign.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:11 am 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

tulsa wrote:
BVCRD wrote:

Truth is I did not know. The posts I have read described the noise to be more of a metalic scraping when idling, what I heard was more like an exhaust leak or a loud engine noise. I was trying to get to the dealership when the transmission quit at a stop sign.

Mmmmmm, that doesn't sound good. Maybe engine or turbo.

Could the Aztecs have known, that in 2012 after a 4 year experiment, our country would cease to exist?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:36 am 
LOST Junkie

Bump.....tulsa, any update on your tranny?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

litton wrote:
Bump.....tulsa, any update on your tranny?

To paraphrase Monty Phyton, it's not sleeping it's dead. Talked to Chris Nikels on Monday, was informed it was making a lot of noise, and that the transmission people had a lot of work stacked up. I guessing a week minimum, maybe two. I asked the service rep about the TC and its stall speed. He thought that the stall speed had been lowered some, I am dubious. He also indicated that the tranny cooler was to be replaced as part of F37. He also indicated that if the repairs were 70% of replacement cost a "new" transmission would be used. I will also be requesting that several common CRD problems be looked into while they have it in the shop. I have already asked him to check for engine oil leaks, oil in intercooler, and the turbo to intercooler hose. I asked about a loaner car and he printed out about 30 pages of the recall notice and found it was part of the deal. I may use it later.

If anyone has other items that should be checked out please let me know.

Lewis

Last edited by tulsa on Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:13 am 
LOST Member

If anything I repeat anything went wrong with the tranny make sure they replace the cooler (Which it sounds like they might) Metal shavings or other crud from a dead tranny could be stuck in the old cooler. I did read the F37 update and if the TC Pump was damaged that meant that they would also replace the cooler. Keep us Posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The service rep said the cooler is part of the recall.
Lewis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Service rep called today, they had the parts Thursday, but found the flywheel had been damaged got it in today. May be done tomorrow.
Lewis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:23 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Got my CRD back yesterday. The service rep let it slip that the flywheel was the source of damage, not torqued down properly. I am assuming that that work was done at Crown here in Tulsa while replacing the front transmission seal. Could the engine start with the flywheel loose? Anyway the story is that the loose flywheel created metal shavings that killed the pump. I tend to belive this story since the noise was not what I expected if the TC was the source of failure. Lots of noise at 65-70mph, less at idle. Chris Nikel also replaced the tube that feeds oil back to the crankcase from the turbo. This was the source of my small oil leak that Crown was to have fixed, seems Crown used the RTV approach to stop the leak and only slowed it down. Of the four things that Crown worked on in November, Chris Nikel has had to clean up.