It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Front right suspension noise
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

My 06' CRD has recently begun making a louder noise when driving over sharp edged potholes or when turning left and compressing the front right suspension quickly. It sounds like a shock bottoming out, but I haven't noticed any undue bottoming marks on the rubber bottom out pad. I've been reading in this forum about sway bar bushings, LBJ's an UBJ's. I wouldn't be concerned, as it is a jeep that will make noises, but the front left is quiet over the same bumps. So, I brough 'er in to the dealership. They have a decent service dept. that gives you the straight answer. I've been pleased with them to date (Allen Motors in Derry, NH). The service manager had a mechanic go for a test drive with me driving so he could hear the thunking. We went down a dirt road hitting potholes with the right side, then turned around and did it hitting the same holes with the left side. The mechanic said he could probably not find anything loose or broken, and that it was probably due to road springs and shocks, not HD offroad units. Whatever.
Sure enough, on the lift nothing was loose. They wrote it up and noted the increased noise on the right side if and when it gets worse.
I have gotten the grunching noise over speed bumps with the sway bar bushing, and have had the lbj's replaced as a recall, so I am assuming it is neither of those.
Should I be shopping for beefier springs and new shocks (or are they struts?)?

Charlie in NH
------------
2006 Liberty Lim. CRD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:54 pm 
LOST Member

Could even be your passenger side engine mount. Check it out. The nut on the top of mine was loose, causing a clunk. I tightened it up and all is fine.

245/75/16 Maxxis Buckshot Mudders