It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Magnaflow
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:42 am 
LOST Newbie

I wonder how the magnaflow will work on the CRD. Offered by A-1 online for $59 shipping included (#12226)! I think someone here is running one. Wonder if there is any feedback on it yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:38 am 
LOST Addict

I just had a Flowmaster 40 series installed this morning and it almost a stock sound. Just slighty deeper in tone, but not enough to be really noticable. Neither is their a drone on the highway at any speed up to 75 mph, and at 60 to 65 range there was a nice mellow note that was not loud or intrusive. Someone who had never ridden in a CRD would not know the nuffler had been changed. I probably could have gone to the 30 series without a problem.

I did notice an easier spool up for the turbo, but nothig that seem dramatic.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:55 am 
LOST Newbie

My Magnaflow will be in on the 21st. We leave on a 1200 mile trip towing a pop up on the 26th. Hopefully I can get it installed amidst all the Christmas happenings. Sure would like to save a little fuel while towing, have a little extra power or both.

I am curious to see how your mileage is affected.

I am also curious to see if the CRD prefers a flowmaster (chambered muffler) to a magnaflow (straight through style like a glasspack). Maybe I can get my brother to pop a flowmaster on his CRD and we can compare longterm.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:33 pm 
LOST Addict

breakerbacker wrote:
My Magnaflow will be in on the 21st. We leave on a 1200 mile trip towing a pop up on the 26th. Hopefully I can get it installed amidst all the Christmas happenings. Sure would like to save a little fuel while towing, have a little extra power or both.

I am curious to see how your mileage is affected.

I am also curious to see if the CRD prefers a flowmaster (chambered muffler) to a magnaflow (straight through style like a glasspack). Maybe I can get my brother to pop a flowmaster on his CRD and we can compare longterm.

Greg
Now that would be a cool way to compare, but you might want to go with a Flowmaster 30 as it is only 3 chambers, if you can call them chambers. My Flowmaster is almost a stock sound, but there is no "drone".

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:52 pm 
LOST Addict

Just got back from getting the AT put on. No discernable difference in sound, at idle it has a little of that deep Cummins throb to it.

As far as driving....... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Do the words "scalded a** ape" mean anything to you?

I had to eggshell the pedal on the way home, learn how to drive it again. This beast wants to go! When I hit the interstate, it was up to 70 in no time, and with that turbo spooled up and breathing freely, I had to keep watching the speedo and backing off the pedal to keep from creeping up to 75. When I came to a couple of hills where I normally had to add just a little pedal to maintain speed, not this time, right on up at the same speed without skipping a beat or any additional throttle.

I got a good look at the stock muffler after it was removed. That piece of whatever was baffled more than a politician, and the inlet and outlet were necked down to 2" ID.

I think the bottom line is, it doesn't matter whether it's a Flowmaster, Magnaflow, or AT, the main thing is to get rid of that stock muffler!

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

Good info. Interested to see what you notice in mileage improvement. Did you notice much improvement in the midrange, where it falls flat at about 3000?

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:25 pm 
LOST Addict

breakerbacker wrote:
Good info. Interested to see what you notice in mileage improvement. Did you notice much improvement in the midrange, where it falls flat at about 3000?

Greg

When I tried WOT acceleration a couple of times, to be honest, I was too busy hanging on to really notice. It did feel like a nice steady hard push, even thru the shifts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:37 pm 
LOST Addict

It goes past 3000 rpm with out any slowing down of rpm's I could tell, couldn't do much with the wife and grandbaby on board.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:35 pm 
LOST Addict

Sounds like anything with higher flow that you can put on to replace that stock muffler will be an improvement. For crying out loud, what good is a 2 1/2" exhaust system with a muffler necked down to 2" and baffled from here to Georgia?

Looks like we're got good results for both the Flowmaster 40 and the AeroTurbine, now just need to check out the Flowmaster 30 and the Magnaflow.

Even my father approved of this mod. :shock: He runs heavy equipment for a living, and says his older dozer with supposedly less HP will often outwork newer machines with more rated HP due to the simple fact he has a short straight pipe exhaust on it.