It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fuel injector return line?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

The plastic line coming out of the top of the fuel injector broke off. What is involved with replacing / repairing. Currently it is blowing fuel everywhere. Is this something that can be done at home or will I have to take it to the dealer.

Thanks,

John Rogers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:49 pm 
LOST Junkie

you can probably go to the dealer and get the line.. i am not sure of the size of it... but you can do it at home... i have seen a TEMPORARY fix being the clear air hose for fish tanks... it is a relatively low pressure line so no worry about it blowing off.

'05 Limited CRD Inferno Red Pearl Coat
Home made provent installed @ 35443, SEGR installed @ 35466, Fumoto valve @ 37500, trans and transfer case skid, In tank pump installed @ 43500, Suncoast TC & Transgo Shift Kit @ 44730, EGT, Boost, Trans temp gauges, Samco hoses, Rebuilt Trans w/ HD454RFE kit @ 56K, Inmotion Stage 2 @ 56K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:27 pm 
LOST Addict

autozone and checker now have fuel injection hose(high pressure hose) and fuel line hose(not high pressure) for sale. I would suspect either would be find here as they are already fuel hose(though I do not know if they are diesel rated or if they need to be) and either would work because it is the low pressure return line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Fish tank hose is rated for 80degF service, maybe 100deg - the injectors run at least 180degF - as mentioned, replacement injector return tubing is available at yer local auto parts emporium, as at DCJ

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:56 pm 
LOST Addict

gmctd wrote:
Fish tank hose is rated for 80degF service, maybe 100deg - the injectors run at least 180degF - as mentioned, replacement injector return tubing is available at yer local auto parts emporium, as at DCJ

no need for oil rated hose? Gasoline rated just as good for diesel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:00 pm 
LOST Junkie

my suggestion was so that he could limp somewhere to get it if he needed to drive the truck,, not as a permanent fix... it would be better to try and contain the fuel than to spewit everywhere...

people on the MB forum use it in emergency's all the time.

'05 Limited CRD Inferno Red Pearl Coat
Home made provent installed @ 35443, SEGR installed @ 35466, Fumoto valve @ 37500, trans and transfer case skid, In tank pump installed @ 43500, Suncoast TC & Transgo Shift Kit @ 44730, EGT, Boost, Trans temp gauges, Samco hoses, Rebuilt Trans w/ HD454RFE kit @ 56K, Inmotion Stage 2 @ 56K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:35 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Fuel rated will work for both gas or diesel... Same source, y'know? :p

I buy my car parts at Home Depot... Lawnmower fuel line (yellow tubing like fish tank stuff) is actually synthetic VITON, but a lot cheaper, and not vinyl like fish tank hose.

Don't know about temps, but it worked just fine on my Jetta for the inter-injector lines and the return to the fuel pump.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

geordi wrote:
I buy my car parts at Home Depot... Lawnmower fuel line (yellow tubing like fish tank stuff) is actually synthetic VITON, but a lot cheaper, and not vinyl like fish tank hose.

that is really good to know. it would be great if you could post the home depot item number for this fuel line. i went to their lawn mover aisle couldn't find this fuel line. i am thinking of replacing it on my crd and jetta.

Post subject: Re: Fuel injector return line?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:48 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jwrogers wrote:
The plastic line coming out of the top of the fuel injector broke off. What is involved with replacing / repairing. Currently it is blowing fuel everywhere. Is this something that can be done at home or will I have to take it to the dealer.

Thanks,

John Rogers

I have a buddy who snapped his return line on the rear-most injector while cleaning the MAP sensor and ended up getting a new assembly from the dealer. It ended up being about $100, but would probably be less from someplace without the dealer markup. Since it's not under pressure, you only need to disconnect, replace, and clean up the leaky mess and all should be good.

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:34 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I've not looked closely at the crd's return lines but VW diesels uses a very small (3mm?) fuel grade return line that daisey chains from injector to injector. You might want to check that out. Last I can remember is was a couple of dollars a foot at a independent imports parts place.

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:12 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

This viton line from McMaster-Carr works great for the VW and they surely have some for the CRD as well.

http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?p ... agenum=113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

honey_don't wrote:
This viton line from McMaster-Carr works great for the VW and they surely have some for the CRD as well.

http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?p ... agenum=113

thanks. i was wondering what are the inside diameter and outside diameter for CRD fuel return lines. these viton hoses are expensive