It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:05 am 
LOST Addict

The gasoline was used in those days only by those who didn't know better or if no kerosene was available. Two reasons for not using gas, 1. it always a two or three time as expensive 2. lowered the cetane much more then kerosene and could easly cause IP damage. The only reason for using gas was in a sudden weather change and no kerosene or D1 available and yoou always would add some non detergent motor oil to the mix for IP & injector lube. Even in the 70's (I was driving an old MB diesel car, it rusted out long before engine wore out. I was 2nd owner) the fuel in central MI, was blended with D1 or sometimes Kerosene, the old MB just chugged on smoking like a big rig and leaving the back end of the car black. The only time it failed to start was one morning when the temp went to about -18 below zero and only a couple of cars started that morning in the 'hood, one being my 68 Opel Kadet gasser, but it was frozen to the ground and took about 30 to 45 minutes to break it loose. It was parked on the gravel portion of the driveway and not under the carport on the cement. The MB would not start, heck the battery would not even turn the engine over as I had not changed out the 30w oil for the winter 20w oil as yet.

Today in lower 48 winterized fuel is done with additives most places or a mix of D1, you may find some place that is using straight number 1 diesel in Montana or someplace like that, but that would not be the norm. A mix of D1 & D2 is used in Lower Canada mostly, in upper Canada & Alaska D1 & kerosene (sometimes refered to jet fuel) is used.

I generally get a laugh from the gasser owners that say they would never own something that is so hard to start or cold natured in the winter. Their mpg's drop like a rock from all the warm up idling (one neighbor does 20 to 30 minutes every morning now), the engine management system make the engine run richer fuel mix, the fuel dryer and de-icer sells like hotcakes in the stores and they leave the little container on the gas pumps all the time.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:42 am 
LOST Addict

I'll ask them when i get down there this morning if they did the service manual check on the injectors and high pressure pump to verify they were still okay. I was down to 1/8th tank of the BP Amoco diesel (hey, it may get lousy mileage, but at least it was #2 diesel!) when i filled up with the B20/gasoline mixture. It only ran for 50 miles, at 55 mph or less, before it quit running. If I'd filled up at 1/2 tank, that thing might have kept running for 200 miles or better, and may have damaged injectors or such. Thank god I didn't do any high speed accel that day.

People may be filing a claim against the state of NC as well, since they were funding this station to sell biodiesel in that area. Heck, NC may even pick up the tab for damages, just for good PR to keep from turning people off to bio. It may have been a few accidents such as this that have helped fuel (pardon the pun) the urban legend that bio will screw up your injectors.

Well, once I pick up the CRD and get everything loaded, I'm off to Texas. Should be back late next Friday. I'll be out of touch until then. I'll be doing the I-40/I-30/I-35 route, about 1300 miles each way. Give that AT muffler a good field test.

I was really bummed out yesterday when I went to work. I had been looking forward to seeing my friends for Christmas and seeing my 17 year old "niece" and 6 year old "nephew". To them I'm "Uncle Mitch". :) I was convinced it was going to take quite a while to fix that beast, and was thinking that it would take one of those Christmas miracles you see on the holiday specials on TV for me to be able to make it down there. So when LN called and said it was fixed and ready to go, you could have knocked me over with a feather, almost raised the hair on the back of my neck. It does make you wonder. :shock:

Especially wanted to see that 6 year old boy. Already over 4 1/2 ft tall, got his dad's looks, his mother's heart, and from all indications some of his uncle's brains. That kid's gonna be something else when he grows up. :D

And if he EVER mentions anything about talking to a Navy recruiter, I'll tan his rear so bad he won't be able to sit down for a week! :lol: :lol: :lol:

See you guys in about a week. Everyone enjoy the holidays.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:18 pm 
LOST Member

Uncle Mitch, :roll:

I'm glad to see that everything worked out ok. I have bought bio from that station in the past. I dont think I will be buying from there again.

Have a good (safe) trip and a very Merry Christmas!!

BTW do you work in Mooresville as well?
The reason I ask, is I have a construction cleaning company and we are doing a big job in Statesville over the next couple of weeks. Send me a PM and I will buy you a plate of Lancaster's BBQ.
Allen

2005 Toyota Tundra V8 4X4 TRD (ebay baby!!)

1984 Jeep CJ7 (Toy)