It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oil in ProVent Yet?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:04 pm 
LOST Member

Has anyone got any oil in the drain of their ProVent yet? I installed one on my wifes CRD about 125 miles ago and the filter is clean and there is absolutely no oil in the drain tube i put in. If i push my finger in the hose going towards the engine(from the inside of the filter's intake) i can notice a severly light amount of oil...maybe.

We have a 2006 CRD and it now has 1500 miles on it. We took one trip from Lake Charles,LA to New Orleans a couple of weeks ago for a total round trip of 445 miles and achieved 24.2 MPG..not bad..my GMC gets 15 mpg and my 2005 wrangler gets about 14...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:21 pm 
LOST Addict

I hate to say this, but are you sure you got it plumbed correctly?

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:42 pm 
LOST Member

Hey, that's a legitimate question! I would have asked the same question if I was reading the post.

In short...yes I do have it plumbed properly. pulled the original hose off of the motor..noticing the oily sludge in it...i used some 1" ID hose and some copper fittings and hose clamps to go to the proper size. I routed the hose from the motor to the intake on the provent...and from the outlet of the provent to the original hose that I pulled off the motor...(the othe end stayed connected to where it was originally)

If i take the filter cap off while the engine is running I there is a light stream of smoke coming in. Maybe the way my wife babies the engine combined with the fact that it's only been driven on short trips(8 miles for her to go to work and 8 miles back home)...combined with it only being on for 150 miles....perhaps the oil hasnt worked it's way there yet???

I don't brag but just to let you know that I'm confident that it's installed correctly..I'm Mechanical Engineer.

:lol:

It's wierd that i WANT to see oil in it..lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:56 pm 
LOST Addict

My God he's an inganeer!!! :lol: Devil made me say that. :roll:

Sounds more like the way it's being driven, I bet it sooting up the muffler something awful. Now get the muffler off and a nice Flowemaster 40 or something like it and get the back pressure off the turbo for improved spoolup and lower EGT's.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Mine took about a week to turn the filter black. It'll get there, don't worry!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:22 pm 
LOST Member

well she just got home and i checked it again...there's some water.not much..and the water feels a bit oily...but no real oil yet....filter is still clean....I checked everything and it's flowing smoke through the filter properly.....

It is the way she drives i think...after she drives it all week...and then i drive it once on the weekends..if i run the snot out of it..it'll blow so much black smoke you wouldnt believe..after the first time i redline it..it'll smoke a little the second time and none after that...

I WANNA SEE OIL!!!!
lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:15 pm 
LOST Member

I have 6K on my ProVent (18K on the Libby) and mine looks like I poured used motor oil through the filter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:21 pm 
LOST Addict

Sounds like we have the same driving habits "boxhead" and that's the only way to drive a diesel. 8)

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject: Re: Oil in ProVent Yet?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:10 pm 
LOST Junkie

wenied wrote:
Has anyone got any oil in the drain of their ProVent yet? I installed one on my wifes CRD about 125 miles ago and the filter is clean and there is absolutely no oil in the drain tube i put in. If i push my finger in the hose going towards the engine(from the inside of the filter's intake) i can notice a severly light amount of oil...maybe.

We have a 2006 CRD and it now has 1500 miles on it. We took one trip from Lake Charles,LA to New Orleans a couple of weeks ago for a total round trip of 445 miles and achieved 24.2 MPG..not bad..my GMC gets 15 mpg and my 2005 wrangler gets about 14...

I put in what I thought might be a temporary fix in my CRD; a modified water trap from an air compressor. To my surprise, it didn't fill up with oil, either. I think in my case the mere fact that the hose coming out of the CCV goes up a few inches instead of being flat or slightly downhill makes it harder for the airflow to pull oil with it. So the oil is mostly going back down into the CC now on mine. Maybe the same thing is happening in yours?

At 138k, new head & gasket, timing belt, rockers and swearing vocabulary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:00 pm 
LOST Member

I took a 170 mile round trip today pulling my 1000lb boat. When I got home i checked the provent again and there was just a fine layer of oil inside the top of the casing...but none made it to the filter or drain yet...perhaps with the hose going up slightly like you said...it's allowing alot of it to drain back into the motor....good deal either way

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I checked my Provent drain tonight.... it's been 8K miles since I last looked at the drain. Only about 1/4" at the bottom of the drain tube. After the first oil change, and switching to Mobile 1 T&SUV 5W-40, I noticed a dramatic reduction in oil blow-by. The filter is still black, with a light rim of oil around the top, but the drain just isn't filling up like it used to. At 14K, maybe it's getting broken in. I also replace my original reinforced PVC with black heater hose. Smaller outside diameter and far more flexible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:50 pm 
LOST Addict

If you used regular black heater hose the hot oil will eat it up and it will become soft and start leaking at the clamps. Heat hose is not designed for oil and will soften and come apart eventually. The saving gerace here will be the hopefully small amount of oil.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'll check with Boxhead... If I remember correctly, he used black heater hose on his installation. Will be interesting to see how long it lasts. Still have plenty of reinforced PVC left. I was also told that PVC would disolve, but it was still going strong when I took it out today. Not too hard to replace in any case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:30 pm 
LOST Member

Ranger1 wrote:
I'll check with Boxhead... If I remember correctly, he used black heater hose on his installation. Will be interesting to see how long it lasts. Still have plenty of reinforced PVC left. I was also told that PVC would disolve, but it was still going strong when I took it out today. Not too hard to replace in any case.

When I do my lift tomorrow, I'm going to pull this all out and check the hose. I was considering using something different, but not decided yet. I have noticed the heater hose is soft near the clamps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:36 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well I'm with the M.E. on this one. 500 miles and no oil in the provent, slight oil in the hose. But I'm in the same shape, wife drives it back and forth to work all of 2 miles. She spends more time warming it up and down than driving it. BUT I do have 13,000 miles so far and I know the hoses where dirty going from the CCV to the air intake hose. They seem very clean now. I cleaned them while installing the provent. Only thing I didn't clean was the intercooler itself. That will have to wait awhile.

I'm sure after I tow the travel trailer on the next camping trip I'll have some oil in the provent.

Wes

http://www.cardomain.com/id/wesbronco

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Mine seemed to put the most oil into the Provent in the first 5K miles, but I was driving a lot of 75 mph freeway miles. The clear hose I used for the input to the Provent was black within 3 weeks of installation, but that was about 1100 miles of high speed driving. The outlet hose stayed clean until I removed it yesterday. At this point, I'm confident enough in the Provent to use black hose that I can't see through. All told, I have at least 11,500 miles with the Provent on. The real difference is the intercooler hoses. Once you put a CCV on, the oil stops blowing through the turbo into the intercooler and mucking up the hoses. I have to believe that motor oil will eventually weaken thoses hoses with the hot air and boost pressure, until they blow out.

I'm guessing that replacing the 2 intercooler hoses would cost as much as the provent itself. No idea what the dealer would charge to clean the intake and intercooler, but I would estimate the time involved would be at least 6 hours labor, maybe more because the timing cover has to be removed, as well as the injectors, as part of the process of getting the intake cover off. At $85 per hour, that would be an estimated cool $510 just to get the oil out. Well worth the $150 I spent on the Provent and hose if it prevents those kinds of repairs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:10 pm 
LOST Member

I have a homemade one with 3000 miles on it, I empty it every 800-1000 miles. Right now I get 50% water, 50 % oil. Got 8800 miles total. Installed ver 2 at 5800 miles and cleaned both IC hoses. The in hose has a slight coating, but the out hose is still clean.