It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Potential ProVent Problem
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:21 pm 
LOST Member

Last night I was starting up my wife's CRD to take her out to eat. I noticed alot of smoke when i was backing out of the driveway but I ignored it due to the fact that I believe the station I filled up at has been selling offroad diesel. Well when I got off of the interstate I noticed that there was so much smoke at idle speed that i couldn't see the cars behind me and the wind was blowing it in front of me so bad it was like the thing was on fire. I rolled down the window and noticed that it was white smoke and it was in fact motor oil burning..not diesel.

I was only 8 miles from home so I drove it back after we ate at Olive Garden. On the way home the service engine light came on. It was still billowing smoke when I got home. I popped the hood and pulled off the engine cover. Apparently last time I checked the hoses for my new provent, when reinstalling the engine cover I had kinked the hose coming from the CCV completely. The thing was building up pressure in the motor and forcing oil where it shouldnt go. I opened the oil cap and the thing sprayed a mist of oil out while relieveing the pressure. I cut a section of the hose and rerouted it so this kink wouldn't happen again and after about 15 seconds of restarting the engine the smoking stopped.

After about 20 minutes of running and a couple of 4400 rpm revs in neutral the service engine light turned off. I checked the oil level this morning and it was over a quart low. I topped it off and my wife drove it to work thismorning with no problems at all.

I just wanted to post this so other people are more careful and make sure they do not kink the hose!!!

Hope you all can benefit from this post!

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thans for the update... I agree, kinking the hose from the factory CCV to the Provent is a BAD thing!! It will build up pressure inside the engine until it finds a way out, either past the piston rings on the intake stroke or out past the crankshaft oil seals. The safety relief valve on the Provent will not help in this situation if its the intake hose. If the output hose from the Provent is kinked, the safety valve will open immediately and the oil fumes will exit on the cover of the Provent - I tested it first thing after installation.

Might not hurt to check for oil leaks underneath the engine - just in case.

IronMan Lift/Shocks/Provent/Moog ball joints/ V6 Airbox/Fan/Hayden
Cobalt Boost/EGT/Oil/Trans/Volt gauges/Aeroturbine 2525
Yeti Hot Tune/Odessey 65/Samco's/Michelin Defenders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:11 pm 
LOST Member

Yeah I'm assuming the pressure buildup caused it to leak past the rings or something. Luckily all is well now. No leaks and everything is back to normal.

Think it hurt anything?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If you're lucky no :-) As long as the crank oil seals don't start leaking you should be good. If it blew enough pressure past the rings it might have saved the seals. Sounds like you had plenty of oil in the cylinders from the amount of smoke it put out. Might be a good idea to give it a good highway run and blow out the soot.

IronMan Lift/Shocks/Provent/Moog ball joints/ V6 Airbox/Fan/Hayden
Cobalt Boost/EGT/Oil/Trans/Volt gauges/Aeroturbine 2525
Yeti Hot Tune/Odessey 65/Samco's/Michelin Defenders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:37 pm 
LOST Member

Trust me I blew out the soot last night!!! lol

My wife drove it to work this morning, so that'll be another highway run.