It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Poper Way to check oil on CRD
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:24 pm 
LOST Addict

When I bought the CRD one of the first things I check into was how fast the oil drained back into the engine. The reason for this is from experience with other diesels ranging from the early 80's to the present. Seems they all have one thing in common, long drain back time. It seems the CRD is like my MB & VW diesels in the fact that they will not show the correct oil fill even after sitting 30 minutes. It seems to take at least 3 hrs or more for correct reading of the dip stick.

I checked the oil after the wife came back into town after a 50 mile one way trip (other checks had just been after short trips) shopping yesterday, and then checked the oil about 10 minutes after she parked in out very level garage and it was almost one (1) quart low, then I checked it about one and half hours (1.5 hrs) later and it showed about 1/2 qt low. I then went to bed and chercked it this morning and it full to the line exactly.

This is the 4th time I have done this in the 4000 miles of ownership and it seems to follow the same pattern of my other three diesels, all of which were SOC and had oil coolers. Does our CRD's have an oil cooler? I haven't seen it mention anywhere. What I'm wondering now is how many of you guys are running 1/2 to 1 qt too much oil and that is why you say you are using a good amount of oil. This oil would go one place, that is through the CCV system and out the tail pipe. This was the case in both my VW and MB diesels, if over filled, it would run the excess oil out rather quickly through the CCV system and then level off under normal driving. In the cas of the intercooled VW's the first thing I noticed was a heavy soaking of the intercooler hoses being soaked in oil

The first time I checked the oil I had almost added a half qt because it showed it was that much low in 1000 miles after sitting about 30 to 45 minutes. The wife, of all people reminded me to let it sit over night like I did the other diesel cars, and the girl was right. :shock:

If someone else would like to do this type of check and see if you have the same thing happen? I would perfer it be in a level garage and not drive way parked and exposed to extreme cold that would restrict oil return flow.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:09 pm 
LOST Member

WE have the same problem at the Fire Dept. On the weekly truck check some of the guys will check the oil after the truck has been running for awhile. Seeing that it is 2-3 quarts low, they overfill it. Not only is it a waste of oil, but it also hurts performance and can damage the engine.

2005 Toyota Tundra V8 4X4 TRD (ebay baby!!)

1984 Jeep CJ7 (Toy)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:15 pm 
LOST Addict

Checked the oil today after CRD sat over night and it was on the full line. I then hopped in and drove the CRD across town to get daughter from work and came back by the by-pass around town, had the CRD cruising at 70 mph for about 5 miles, then I got off the by-pass and drove 3 miles to the house where I let it set for 10 minutes. The oil on the dipstick checked about 1/2 qt low.

I will check it again after it sit's an hour and post the results.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:23 pm 
LOST Addict

Deleted by me.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Last edited by oldnavy on Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:35 pm 
LOST Addict

Well the wife just messed up my check and has gone to Wally-World. :roll: :roll:

She said she would not be going out after that, so I will try it again when she gets back. :x :roll:

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:20 pm 
LOST Addict

Wife just parked the CRD in the garage and I checked the oil after about 4 minutes, this 4 to 5 minute time is when most will check oil at the station or at home. The oil was down about 1/3 of the way between the lines, I will check again at the 30 minute mark and see how it does.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:53 pm 
LOST Addict

After 2 hours there was little change from the 1/3 down, I will now check it in the morning. The one difference is the CRD was not driven as long/far 5 miles then engine off 2 hrs then 5 miles back all low speed city driving, where as this morning it was 7 miles across town then 7 miles back by the highway driving 70 mph then shut down and checked. I'm not sure that would make any difference, but it is different then this morning.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:55 pm 
LOST Addict

I checked it hot: 15 min after shutdown, and stone cold and didn't find a difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:53 pm 
LOST Addict

CATCRD wrote:
I checked it hot: 15 min after shutdown, and stone cold and didn't find a difference.
How much later was stone cold?

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

Old Navy, I have two CRD's and will be glad to give them a try. Maybe I can reproduce or have a similar outcome. If that should happen with either CRD, I'll let you know. In the mean time, try looking at the Fram.com website. I have found some interesting information that might be helpful to you in this instance. By the way, I have found a replacement filter that will not void any CRD warranty (US Only). That filter is Fram TG8316, which can be purchased at most Wal-Mart(s). You seem to be an authority on CRD's, and Diesels in general. Maybe you can spread the word about this Oil filter finding, unless someone has already done so. I'm trying to be as cost effective as possible, I think that DC may be trying to slip a fast one by us all.

It's New Years Eve, so I'll try the oil checks within a few days.

Thanks for passing on your helpful and time saving tips and info.

Mike..AKA, Rolla1us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:12 pm 
LOST Addict

That would be cool for you to do that, it so hard for me to do this with the wife's CRD because it's hard to catch sitting still long enough or coming off a long enough drive to really be warmed up. I may be retired, but all the other things I have going on makes it difficult to catch up with the thing.

I quit using Frams long ago after they were bought out, and started selling what is generally considered in the industry as the poorest quality oil filter available in the US market. What I have been using for quite a few years now is Mobil 1 synthetic oil filters, and the one for the CRD is M-211.

Just got interupted by the wife to help trim the hair on the cat's behind, he's a long haired Pursian. #$^%#$@ :roll:

Well I survived another trimming, not even ascratch this time. :shock: :roll:

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:28 am 
LOST Addict

oldnavy wrote:
CATCRD wrote:
How much later was stone cold?

About 8 hrs in an unheated garage. 35F outside.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:25 am 
LOST Addict

That would be great if that how the CRD will work, I am sure tired of the MB & VW's having to wait so long to get a proper reading. The MB was not too bad about 1 hr and all was right with the world, the VW's however would drain for hours and needed to sit about 5 or 6 hrs and I just would check it in the morning before starting. I did hopwever have one of the VW's marked for hot oil check at 5 minute for traveling reasons.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject: Re: Poper Way to check oil on CRD
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

oldnavy wrote:
'and had oil coolers. Does our CRD's have an oil cooler? I haven't seen it mention anywhere.

Only if you have the "Trailer Tow Group" from the factory. This package also includes the tanny cooler.

Warn M8000 winch
On board Air
Ham radios
Skidrow and kilby skids

Former: '05 Patriot Blue CRD. Lifted, locked, and a few other toys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:20 pm 
LOST Addict

Last I checked the TT package was only on the gasser with only TT item for CRD a hitch.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine