It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trip to Mexico...many miles, some towing.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:03 am 
LOST Newbie

Just got back from San Carlos, Mexico. From Albuquerque to San Carlos and back is around 1500 miles. Add day trips to the beach and Guaymas, a total of about 2000 miles.

From Albuquerque to San Carlos via Tucson, we towed a buddies pop up trailer that weighed in at about 1800 lbs, had 4 adults and all the supplies that could fit. Average speeds were about 68 mph, as my other buddy with a Nissan Titan and a 4500lb, 22' TT was having a hard time with speeds any faster. His truck has the power, but starts to require constant downshifting to maintain speed above 70 at even the slightest grades. The CRD did great, better than I expected with the load. Just set it and forget it as far as speed goes. I tried pulling away to check stability and had no problems cruising at 75 with bursts to 80. The speed would stay dead stable on all climbs dropping no more than 2 mph. The entire drive down there I was trying to figure out why Jeep doesnt offer say, a 4.2 CRD in a larger platform vehicle. Something large enough to pull a TT like above. Anyway, with crap local diesel the average mpgs were 21.5. Upon arrival in Tucson, I sourced some B20 and filled up. We also met up with another buddy also pulling a pop up. So to recap on the group, a 2005 Titan towing a 22'TT at 4500lbs, a 1986 Suburban 350 towing a 2100lb pop up, and a 2005 CRD towing a 1800 lb pop up. The gassers were literally averaging 10-11 miles :shock: which meant stopping for fuel every 175-200 miles. From Tucson to San Carlos, about 350 miles running B20 mileage shot up to 23.5 mpgs! The CRD would hold steady as the gassers would fall far back on the climbs and catch back up on the falls.

In San Carlos on the beach I was asked to pull a couple of ppl out. With 20 psi in the tires(aired down from 45), in 4 lo, extracting those vehicle required zero throttle, literally. Just put it in gear and let the foot off the brake, and out they would come.

We met up with a buddy down there that has a Powerstroke, so I was relieved of towing duty on the way back. I also didnt wait up, as travelling at 60-70 for the next 2 days didn't appeal to me. On the way home we travelled fast, averaging 80 mph and still pulled in 26.5.

I would say the Magnaflow is worth 2 mpgs, after all these miles. It also adds some def. torque at lower rpms with less fuel.

After towing sometime, I bet this vehicle could handle 4000lbs no problem, although one would have to counteract the vehicles instability with slower speeds for safety. Very impressive little truck.

Hope this info is helpfull to someone,

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:42 am 
LOST Member

I'm considering flat towing my TJ 200 miles with the CRD in a couple of weeks. The TJ weighs about 3700lbs or more with the upgrades.

I towed it once before with the CRD just 20 miles to see how it does. It had no problem with power. If i kept the speed under 65 it felt very stable. I took one turn too fast and the ESP helped me out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:02 pm 
LOST Addict

There is no 4.2L CDi avalible in the DC line up. There is a 4.0L CDi found in the S-Class and the ML in europe. I have driven the ML400CDi and LOVE IT. It has great power and can get up and move from a traffic light with no problem. With 3 adults, 2 kids and a full load of luggage I got 23.4 mpg at 106mph with the cruise on. Yes thats right 106mph. I was in the market to get a ML400CDi but found a great deal on a Libby and took it. The 2.8 CRD is avalible in the GC, PT Cruiser, Caravan, and the 300M as well. The new Caliber will be avalible in Europe with a CRD as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:44 pm 
LOST Addict

I drove a VW Touareg V10 TDI and was that a trip, smoke rolling out of both front & rear wheels. That thing had a 0>60 time of about 5.5 sec if memory serves me right. Now that thing will haul ars. That's a 5200 lb hotrod that listed for $58,000, and was rated 19 mpg highway.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The crd can tow 5k easy. You could of towed that guys 22' TT better than he could of. The libby can tow up to a 25' camper.

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster