It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 500 miles on B-5: my impressions
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:07 am 
LOST Member

I've got about 500 miles on B-5 in the CRD now and thought I would share my impressions. I had always had a slight hesitation when it was cold, kind of a stumble pulling away from the driveway first thing in the morning. That is 'almost' gone now. It's down to less then 1 time a week now. The engine idles smoother and quieter and has a lot more pick-up, and it seems to smoke less when you get on it. Basically its a lot less like a diesel then it was (if you drive a diesel you probably know what I mean)

Mileage seems to be about the same as with straight #2, although being as I coincidentially started using it when the weather started getting cold, its not really an accurate comparison.

It doesn't get really cold here, and I park in the garage anyway, so I can't comment on gelling issues.

It is about .25 cents more a gallon then #2.

-Vic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:44 am 
LOST Member

Now try using B20. It gets even quiter and the exhaust has a somewhat pleasent smell

2005 Toyota Tundra V8 4X4 TRD (ebay baby!!)

1984 Jeep CJ7 (Toy)

Post subject: Bio
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:54 pm 
LOST Member

You're on your way to becoming a bunnyhugger! ;)

I'm splash blending anywhere from B50 to B75 depending on how full the tank is when I add the bio. It's noticeably quieter and there's no smoke when I stomp on it. Also, no oil in the provent either.

For a few weeks bio was cheaper than D2 here but D2's come back down. D2 is currently $2.65 and B100 is $3.25 here in NorCal.

But keep after it. Bio should come down as a number of plants are due to come on line this year and next. Should really help. You're helping American farmers, running cleaner fuel which helps the environment, and keeping your engine cleaner. Can't go wrong :)

GDE Eco Tune and DPF delete
CB Engineering DPF delete pipe
EHM

Past (sold to Mountainman):
2005 Patriot Blue Liberty CRD Limited

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:14 pm 
LOST Addict

I got a question...these places that sell B2-B20, are the pumps clearly marked as such?? I've been to a few places around here that supposedly sell biodiesel, but I've never found any pumps labeled bio-diesel pumps, and when I ask the attendant working inside they have no clue what biodiesel fuel is. So if I do see a biodiesel pump, will I know it? Are they labled in a different color or anything?

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:27 pm 
LOST Member

Quote:
I got a question...these places that sell B2-B20, are the pumps clearly marked as such??

the pump I use most of the time in Pineville,NC is clearly marked. The same pump also has E-85 and E-10. It pumps very slow, but it gives me time to reflect on the good I am doing. :roll:

2005 Toyota Tundra V8 4X4 TRD (ebay baby!!)

1984 Jeep CJ7 (Toy)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:06 am 
LOST Member

Unfortunately B-5 is the only blend available in No. Nevada. And you have to be a member of a local fueling network to get it. But I'm hoping that the more people that use it, the easier it will be to get. Of course with bad press like this, people who would use it might get scared off:

Biodiesel blamed for clogs
Truckers seek waiver of mandate as refiner stops sale of some blends
BY TOM WEBB
Pioneer Press
Truckers are fuming, fuel filters are clogging and accusations are flying over biodiesel, the soybean-based fuel that Minnesota law now requires blended into all diesel sold here.

Minnesota's trucking industry has asked Gov. Tim Pawlenty for an emergency waiver of the state's 2-month-old biodiesel mandate. And Minnesota's largest refiner, Flint Hills Resources in Rosemount, this week quit delivering certain cold-weather biodiesel blends for greater Minnesota.

State officials are considering emergency action. But first, they need to know what's really clogging fuel filters across Minnesota.

"We have members that are going ballistic over this," said John Hausladen, president of the Minnesota Trucking Association, on Thursday. "Now, we do not know for certain that it is the biodiesel causing the problem, and we are trying to make sure that we have our data. But all the evidence we have gathered points to biodiesel being the culprit."

Bruce Gordon, with the Minnesota Department of Commerce, said, "We have received complaints that fuel filters are reportedly clogging, especially in colder weather, and we know that not everyone is experiencing the problem."

"There's not an obvious cause of the problem, nor is there a simple answer," Gordon added. "Some are speculating that the problem is caused by the biodiesel portion of the fuel, but we don't know that for sure."

A battery of state-sponsored tests is under way. Initial results on 18 samples showed "four samples that failed a cold-weather test, but it does not say what is the cause of that failure," Gordon said Thursday. That will require more extensive tests, with results in a week or two.

But the state's trucking group isn't eager to wait. It surveyed 90 of its members, and 56 reported problems with plugged fuel filters, Hausladen said.

John Hofland, a spokesman for Flint Hills Resources, which refines half of Minnesota's gasoline and diesel fuel, said that as complaints surfaced, the Rosemount refinery ran its own tests and made a discovery.

"What we believe is occurring is that some of the biodiesel is fairly high in glycerin, which is a saturated fatty acid, essentially," Hofland said. "At certain glycerin levels, there appears to be a waxy substance forming at temperatures of zero to minus-10. What we've determined is, if we use a biodiesel that's lower in glycerin, we don't see this problem in colder weather."

As a result, on Wednesday Flint Hills quit using soybean-based biodiesel, and switched to a biodiesel with far lower glycerin levels. But it also stopped distributing certain biodiesel-blended fuels around greater Minnesota, because it wasn't confident of the fuel's performance.

The episode has stunned Minnesota's soybean growers, who have spent the week scrambling for technical advice. They envisioned biodiesel as a clean, green alternative fuel that would deliver rich benefits, and worked to make Minnesota the first — and only — state to require a biodiesel blend in every gallon of diesel sold.

But now, farm groups are willing to have state officials waive the law temporarily, if it would get to the bottom of the problem. Minnesota is the nation's leading biodiesel producer.

"We are going to continue to support the Minnesota Department of Commerce in whatever they do, to get the problem solved and fixed," said Sherry Lowe, a spokeswoman for the Minnesota Soybean Growers Association.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:18 am 
LOST Addict

Wow we have Diesel and Super Diesel. Not sure but the BioDiesel will be out soon. The big push right now will be to use cooking oil. I know there are race cars using it in the 24hr races.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:21 am 
LOST Addict

Probably what's happening is the biofuel is cleaning out the system of all the built up crap and then that stuff is clogging the filters. There are several local trucking firms running B10 to B100 without any problem. One local company when they started using it in their older trucks gave the rigs 1 hour at high idle on B100 then stopped the engines and replaced filters and put them in local service and run them awhile then changed filters again before sending them on extended trips. They have never had a truck plug the filters or fail on cold mornings.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

I like the part about how they've detected glycerin in the biodiesel and are looking for a feedstock oil with less glycerin in it. When I make my own, getting ALL the glycerin out is a priority. If the fuel is up to standard it won't have glycerin in it. :?

Most likely, this is a case of a writer trying to repeat what somebody told him/her without really understanding it. They got it wrong - reported the wrong thing as the problem.

Fact is biodiesel can be problematic if you don't understand it's limitations. It IS less tolerant of cold. If you are running it for the first time, it does clog the filters as it cleans all the crud out of your system (which is actually great, but you have to prepare for it).

Biodiesel is not THE solution, but it is PART OF the solution to our dependence on petroleum. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Someone posted on another forum (VW I believe) that the group asking for a waiver in this article is the same group that tried to stop Biodiesel from being used originally. You never really know who is good friends with whom on these comittee's. As biodiesel production ramps up, I expect to see quite a few white papers showing how bad biodiesel is for you, the consumer. Some have already started to appear out of concern for the rainforests. I prefer to see US grown and produced biodiesel over foreign palm biodiesel that gells up at 40 F. Importing biodiesel is just as dependent as importing foreign oil.

Not to say that poorly produced biodiesel is excusable. Hopefully, this will cause the biosiesel producers to focus on quality and testing more than they have.

IronMan Lift/Shocks/Provent/Moog ball joints/ V6 Airbox/Fan/Hayden
Cobalt Boost/EGT/Oil/Trans/Volt gauges/Aeroturbine 2525
Yeti Hot Tune/Odessey 65/Samco's/Michelin Defenders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:36 am 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

Sad. The bad press was definitely bound to come, though. Getting out of OPEC's pocket is supposed to be easy...is it?

The biofuel is cleaning out the years of nasty petro sludge out of the tanks and lines. Or the acids are eating away at brass/bronze/copper tanks/fittings, or the hoses are the wrong chemical composition. Or they're putting the bio in the tank first and trying to mix the petro on top. Or not agitating and/or heating the tanks. Or they're not...

Personally, I think the state handled the whole thing poorly. I appreciate their effort to provide biodiesel, but forcing every station in the state to provide only bio-blended fuels by a certain time was not the way to go about it. There's no way you can get an entire state properly prepared to provide bio-fuel in a safe manner just by giving them a date. You can't jut throw bio in a tank and start selling it!

The state could have waiting until warmer months so, at the very least, they could eliminate the petro sludge clean-out issues before being assaulted with the gelling isues. Stupid...doesn't anyone use analysts with brains?...or at all?

The worst part is that people will take this dribble as the gospel about biofuel and never use it.

OOPS! I guessI couldl actually comment on the original post....Congrats on your first 500 miles on B05!! Sorry you don't have higher bio blends available in NV, but B05 is great for your truck! If you can find it though, the higher blends will (as has been noted) make your diesel run even smoother with even less smoke. It's a wonderful thing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:58 am 
LOST Addict

So far in 3996 miles of two tanks of B2 and and the rest B10 the CRD just purrs like a kitten and easly leaves the Magnum at the stop light to stop light drag. I sure will be glad when the ULSD fuel arrives so I don't have to take the CRD for soot blowouts every other tank. The fuel I'm using is rated 46 cetane before the B10 is added and is suppose to be about 49 cetane after mixing. The B2 I used was 49 cetane fuel then had the B2 added according to the destribator.

However it was fun to soot a tailgater last night when headed out of town for fuel. I had gengerly past this Chevy PU (4 lane hwy) and semi truck the Chevy PU was tailgating and pulled into the right lane when he decided he wanted to see if he could intimidate the CRD. On the back window it says "yes it's Diesel", I'm changing that to Turbo Diesel tomorrow. Anyway I decided to hammer it and see if his Chevy could keep up, and after it went past 3000 rpm I looked in rear view mirror asnd saw him dropping back in a cloud smoke (soot) and I was laugning my booty off. The semi truck follow use came by me and honked and flashed his lights, I guess he also enjoyed the sight.

One thing about filling up with the fuel cap off is I noticed the fuel gage is slow coming up to full. The fuel cap warning light has never come on when we do this type of fillup. I am wondering if it only works for gassers or you have to drive down the road a ways before it comes on reguardless of gas or diesel model.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:40 am 
LOST Addict

Might want to be careful Walt, almost same exact same scenario happened to me back before Christmas, and the guy tried to road rage me.

Was headed into work on my usual route along the country back roads. Halfway there, had a guy in a dark blue Neon start tailgating me, guess he decided 60 in a 55 wasn't fast enough and he couldn't pass because it was double yellow line. He rolled right thru two stop signs to stay on my bumper, and when he did it on the second one I put the hammer down. Left him sitting far behind in a nice black cloud of soot.

After I'd left him far behind I backed off to 60. He finally got that Neon wound up and came flying up on me like a bat. flew around me on a double yellow like I was standing still, cut back into my lane, and then jammed on his brakes. I had to stand on mine to keep from rear-ending him.

Then he pulls back over into the opposite lane and slows down to nothing, letting me go by him. he pulled back in behind me and started goosing his throttle, lunging his car at my rear bumper. I decided I'd had enough of this nut, and pulled off the road, making sure all my doors were still locked and windows up, cell phone ready to call the cops if need be.

Thankfully this idiot just went on by, again taking off down the road like a bat. Guess he'd proven his manhood for the day. Sadly, this guy had a Freightliner parking pass in his windshield. given what time it was, my guess is he worked in a part of the plant that started work in less than 10 minutes from when all this happened, and he was willing to run me off the road just so he wouldn't be late for work.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:56 pm 
LOST Addict

Some people just don't take kindly to soot, do they? :roll: :evil:

Especially this time of year...most people have all the windows rolled up and the HVAC system set to cycle in outside air (whether they realize it or not). So when you soot them...all that stuff gets sucked into the cabin of their vehicle. It's really not funny... but I can't help but enjoy it. :?

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter