It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Overdrive Question
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:21 am 
LOST Member

I've just recently noticed the overdrive button. When should the overdrive be activated? What happens when the vehicle is in overdrive (what does it do)? I have a 60 mile round trip daily commute at highway speeds - should I be using overdrive?

And here's a question from a newby to Jeep - what does the "KJ" stand for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

You leave the O/D on unless you are towing and the transmissions repeatedly down-shifts, then up-shifts to keep up speed. All the shifting is tough on the transmission, so you wait until it down-shifts and turn off the O/D, which keeps it in the lower range. With the CRD, the engine has enough torque that this problem is almost non-existent unless you are towing a heavy trailer in mountains.

KJ is a Jeep designation for the Liberty. There is probably some sort of engineering logic to it, but it's just a way to designate the various bodytypes. All the designations are something-J; KJ, TJ, etc.