It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Put Seafoam in crank case pre-oil change, opinions?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:26 pm 
LOST Member

Hi, I know there are varying opinions on engine flush type products on this board. I'm not looking to get flamed, just interested to hear legit perspectives from more knowledgeable owners.

I am due for my first oil change on our Jeep and was considering running Seafoam in the engine oil for 30 miles or so pre-oil change. I will also be changing out my fuel filter and will likely refill the new canister with the stuff to clean out my injection system (which seems less risky). (Yes, I have read all of the Seafoam-related threads on this site, and a few of the other threads on engine flush products which are a little more intense.)

Thoughts on one or both of those procedures?

EDIT: Here's a link to their diesel page: http://seafoamsales.com/sea-foam-motor- ... l-engines/

Tow Package | Engine/Tranny/TC Skids | Fumoto F102S | Roof Rack | USA Spec PA-11CHR | EVIC | auto dimming mirror | Yoko Geolander A/T-S LT225/75R16

Post subject: Re: Put Seafoam in crank case pre-oil change, opinions?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:51 pm 
LOST Member

Unnecessary, diesel oil is an excellent cleaner in itself.

06 LIMITED 100000miles, MAGNAFLOW, HOMEBUILT CCV FILTER, POLAR PAD, 02 AIRBOX, CUMMINS LIFT PUMP, SEGR, PILLAR GAUGE POD, CAT FILTER MONITOR, SPYDER TRAX, ALWAYS A LITTLE TWO STROKE OIL OR BIO, WATER/METH INJECTION

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:02 pm 
LOST Member

Is there any potential harm, though?

Follow-up question: I assume if going the crankcase route, I would not want to send in a batch of that oil for sampling since it wouldn't yield accurate results and would have some contamination from the Seafoam and whatever it cleaned out?

I may decide to not to do this for this oil change at least as I'd like to do a follow-up with Blackstone labs.

Tow Package | Engine/Tranny/TC Skids | Fumoto F102S | Roof Rack | USA Spec PA-11CHR | EVIC | auto dimming mirror | Yoko Geolander A/T-S LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

SFHLibertyCRD wrote:
Is there any potential harm, though?

No one knows, do you want to be the first to find out? BTW, my CRD with 110K had no sludge in the VC, so why do these clean engines need to be flushed and risk bearing and turbo failure?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:50 pm 
LOST Member

IMO thinning the oil with a powerful solvent even for a short period of time is not good. Some have claimed a quieter engine and others a 3MPG increase in fuel economy. I call B. S. on both. :2cents: :2cents:

06 LIMITED 100000miles, MAGNAFLOW, HOMEBUILT CCV FILTER, POLAR PAD, 02 AIRBOX, CUMMINS LIFT PUMP, SEGR, PILLAR GAUGE POD, CAT FILTER MONITOR, SPYDER TRAX, ALWAYS A LITTLE TWO STROKE OIL OR BIO, WATER/METH INJECTION

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:54 pm 

In MHO 5 to 10 minutes at hot idle just prior to draining may be acceptable; 30 miles under load could be a real problem... Thinning the oil with any kind of product could cause excessive wear on the rockers and / or cam loabs, loss of the oil wedge on the connecting rod bearings and main crankshaft bearings just to name a few, and is just not worth the risk in my opinion... Good oil will clean the insides of an engine and keep the solids and carbon in suspension to allow the filter to do its job. If you are concerned of dark oil, simply change it out several times! Diesel oil gets dark very quickly due to it keeping the carbon particles in suspension in the oil... :2cents:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:35 pm 
LOST Member

I work for one of 3 companies that produce Seafoam nationally. I can say this knowing the formula and having control of its production. The product is 2/3 solvent. I would not use it in the crankcase due to the oil thinning that would be experienced. I would however use it in the fuel tank. It would clean the fuel system and also lubricate the fuel pump and injectors while keeping them clean.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:46 pm 
LOST Member

joelukex4 wrote:
I work for one of 3 companies that produce Seafoam nationally. I can say this knowing the formula and having control of its production. The product is 2/3 solvent. I would not use it in the crankcase due to the oil thinning that would be experienced. I would however use it in the fuel tank. It would clean the fuel system and also lubricate the fuel pump and injectors while keeping them clean.

:shock: And that just about settles it for me. I'll stick with using it to prime my new fuel filter and putting some in the fuel tank on occasion. And get my oil analysis as planned.

Unlike some of the 5-minute engine flushes, Seafoam actually recommends to drive on it but *no more than 100 miles* to clean things out before changing the oil (I don't think its as strong as some of the others). But you all think that driving even 20 or 30 might be risky.

Anyone care to respond who actually uses this stuff in the crankcase? I know racertracer has tried some other products, not sure about Seafoam.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:54 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

RJM wrote:
IMO thinning the oil with a powerful solvent even for a short period of time is not good. Some have claimed a quieter engine and others a 3MPG increase in fuel economy. I call B. S. on both. :2cents: :2cents:

:ROTFL: :ROTFL:

It all really happened in their mind? :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:26 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The main purpose of an engine or transmission flush is to prolong the life of the engine or transmission.

By flushing an engine periodically, the internal components of the engine remain relatively clean and thus perform at optimum levels.

The process employed to flush an engine is similar to transmission flushing.

With a transmission flush, the usual flow of fluid through the mechanism is used to push old fluid and various contaminants out of the system via the drain plug. With an engine flush, the cleansing solution is introduced and allowed to circulate through the engine, following the same flow pattern as the oil that lubricates the engine components. The solvent and contaminants eventually make their way to the oil pan.

While in theory the engine flush seems like a task that should be performed from time to time, not everyone agrees that the flush is effective. While it is generally acknowledged that this process is helpful in low mileage vehicles that have not had the oil changed as often as recommended, some professional mechanics question the effectiveness of the flush with high mileage vehicles.

The concern is that the buildup of sludge and deposits in the older engine may be more than the solvents in the flush can process, resulting in making a bad situation worse.

Instead of using an engine flush, they recommend that the engine be dismantled and the components thoroughly cleaned, assuming the engine is still in working order.

Because of the difference of opinion among professionals regarding the effectiveness of an engine flush, not every garage or automotive center will offer this service.

It is important to note that an engine flush is not a substitute for using the proper weight and grade of oil, or having the oil changed according to manufacturer recommendations. At best, it should be considered a way to augment proper maintenance and prolong the life of the engine.

I have owned my 97 TJ Jeep Wrangler since new and it has had the engine flushed every other oil change. It now sports over 312,000, original miles. Over the years it has had the following replaced, rear end, brakes 4 times, 5 sets of tires, hubs, water pumps, alternators, starters, sensors, switches, lights, tune ups, etc..... never any work to the engine. The compression is unchanged at 130 across the board and it is tight.

My other car is a 1983 MB 240d and that has had the same treatment with no issues.

My CRD has had the same. If you have an operational EGR than a flush is a great benefit and the turbo loves it.

Use detergent based flushes not solvent based, Amsoil, Bardahl http://www.bardahl.com/products/oil-add ... gine-flush.

I have never had any problems, always experienced benefits.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:51 am 
LOST Member

Please explain how" the turbo loves it". Did you read the MSDS for Bardahal engine flush? Perhaps you should, taking note of the main ingredient. It's your choice to put whatever you want in your crankcase, paint thinner,naphtha,xylene or even a bucket of hot soapy water. If your crankcase is that dirty or your turbo bearings/journals that bunked up with crap you need to be changing your oil at shorter intervals.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:53 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It does not matter if there is a little residue on the parts that are not moving, it is the parts that are moving that stay clean and lubricated, so I am not sure how risking washing the lube off of these already clean parts is worth it, to make the valve cover a little cleaner?

Maybe your CRD will make the book of records as longest lasting due to flushing? :ALONE:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:39 am 
LOST Addict

I just threw some in this weekend before I did my oil. I had a little left over in a bottle, less than Seafoam would recommend for our amount of oil, and i let it idle for about 10 minutes. It didnt blow up.

I typically do not use it in my cars, but I do use it in my Suzuki GS500 motorcycle when i wake it up in the spring. I dump some seafoam in there and start it up and let it idle for 15-20 minutes. It makes a very noticeable difference in the color of the oil that comes out and I always use Rotella T6 5W-40 in that bike so its not some cheap crap. Obviously it makes not difference in the Jeeps oil since it already is as black as a black hole when it comes out normally.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:59 am 
LOST Member

If the engine has been on a steady diet of 100% synthetic oil there is no need to flush the engine. If it has had dino oil in it at anytime then a flush will remove varnish, any sludge, ect from the engine. I bought my Libby last September. It was a lease and the leaser always took it to the dealer. Once the lease was up it made a few actions before I got it. It had about 3K on it from the last dealer oil change till I got it. I flushed the engine using a cheap filter install 100% synthetic oil and went on my way. First oil change pulled my oil sample for analysis and proceed to change the oil. I have another diesel that had about 138K on it. Flushed it and had no issues till it got to 408K. This was my $500 truck and the PO didn't take care of anything so I was surprised it ran as long as it did.

So I say yes to flushing, but would be very careful what product I used.

1993 C3500 Chevy 6.5 Turbo Diesel
1984 C7500 Chevy Flat Bed 366 gas
1987 R25 Chevy 350 gas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:15 pm 
LOST Member

My CRD has 74k+ now. I have no history on it prior to 55k or so, and GDE tune was installed at 62k by PO. The low mileage was probably a combination of not being driven and short trips, so I would suspect there was some buildup etc. during the time pre-GDE tune and known synthetic oil changes.

I might still consider an engine flush in the future, but probably will go with one of the other detergent-based products (liqui moly, Amsoil, etc.) rather than Seafoam. I'm inclined to think that one of the fast flushes with no driving is the safest. However, I think for this oil change I won't use anything and will collect another clean sample to send for analysis for comparison with the first.

I'll safe the Seafoam for the fuel tank and maybe for priming my new fuel filter when I change it. Any thoughts on how the latter might effect my HPFP? I think I read some mixed thoughts on this as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:34 pm 
LOST Addict

I got my crd at 78k. Since gde tune, after 6000-ish miles the oil looks almost like the 4.0 Cherokee, which runs like new. I personally think few 2-3000 miles oil changes with quality diesel oil would clean any potential sludge. If it won't, then there may be other issues with that engine or severe abuse due to improper oil/changes intervals.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:13 pm 
LOST Member

thermorex wrote:
I got my crd at 78k. Since gde tune, after 6000-ish miles the oil looks almost like the 4.0 Cherokee, which runs like new. I personally think few 2-3000 miles oil changes with quality diesel oil would clean any potential sludge. If it won't, then there may be other issues with that engine or severe abuse due to improper oil/changes intervals.

Actually, I noticed that the first oil sample that I asked the PO to collect before I purchased (was the first OC about 6k after the GDE tune) was very black (as is typical). But, while driving the car back across the country for 2k+ miles, and even up until recently, my oil has not gotten completely black this time. So maybe its not too bad in there post tune.

[My first oil analysis posted on October 15 can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4582&start=140#wrapheader; the only point of concern was elevated aluminum.]

My main concern has always been that I would like improved fuel efficiency. Currently I get around 20 in town and 25-26 (never higher than 27) hwy. I've gone through many of the pointers in the noob guide but am really not seeing anything better than my cross country trip in the fall. In fact, I'm seeing dropped FE lately. I'm curious to see if the TB job will effect it at all. (I am on load rated D tires, so that doesn't help).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

RJM wrote:
Please explain how" the turbo loves it". Did you read the MSDS for Bardahal engine flush? Perhaps you should, taking note of the main ingredient. It's your choice to put whatever you want in your crankcase, paint thinner,naphtha,xylene or even a bucket of hot soapy water. If your crankcase is that dirty or your turbo bearings/journals that bunked up with crap you need to be changing your oil at shorter intervals.

RJM. can you tell me what part of the MSDS sheets tell us that it is not good for our Turbos?

Where did you get the MSDS sheet from? Did you read the MSDS sheet?

Bardhals 4030 is a flushing oil with detergents and agents that help to disburse the waste.

MSDS sheets are used for OSHA purposes only to protect people from harmful and hazardous materials.... there are no solvents in this product none, no harmful material at all. It just does a great job if you follow the directions.

Did you read the correct MSDS sheet?

Here is the MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET from Bardshal and no where does it indicate what material they are using because they don't need to. It is not a hazardous material nor is it a solvent. It does not harm seals and especially the turbo as long as you don't exceed the 15 to 30 minute of idle run time. Read the directions.

MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET
PRODUCT NAME: Engine Flush- 12X16oz HMIS CODES: H F R P
PRODUCT CODE: 4030. 0 1 0 B
================== SECTION I - MANUFACTURER IDENTIFICATION =================
MANUFACTURER'S NAME: Bardahl Mfg. Corp.
ADDRESS : 1400 NW 52nd St.
P.O. BOX 70607
Seattle, Wa 98127-0607
EMERGENCY PHONE : 800-424-9300 DATE PRINTED : 4/16/2014
INFORMATION PHONE : 206-783-4851 NAME OF PREPARER : JOHN R. WILSON
========== SECTION II - HAZARDOUS INGREDIENTS/SARA III INFORMATION =========
VAPOR PRESSURE WEIGHT
REPORTABLE COMPONENTS CAS NUMBER mm Hg @ TEMP PERCENT
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** No toxic chemical(s) subject to the reporting requirements of section 313 of Title III and of 40 CFR 372 are
present. ***
DOT PROPER SHIPPING NAME: NOT REGULATED, UN #: NONE, NOT REGULATED
=============== SECTION III - PHYSICAL/CHEMICAL CHARACTERISTICS ============
BOILING RANGE: NOT DETERMINED SPECIFIC GRAVITY (H2O=1): .89
VAPOR DENSITY: HEAVIER THAN AIR EVAPORATION RATE: Slower then Ether.
SOLUBILITY IN WATER: INSOLUBLE
APPEARANCE AND ODOR: AMBER LIQUID WITH PETROLEUM OIL ODOR
================= SECTION IV - FIRE AND EXPLOSION HAZARD DATA ==============
FLASH POINT: 140 C METHOD USED: PMCC
FLAMMABLE LIMITS IN AIR BY VOLUME- LOWER: n/a UPPER: n/a
EXTINGUISHING MEDIA: FOAM, CO2, DRY CHEMICAL
SPECIAL FIREFIGHTING PROCEDURES
WATER OR FOAM MAY CAUSE FROTHING WHICH CAN BE VIOLENT AND POSSIBLY ENDANGER THE LIFE OF THE FIREFIGHTER. WEAR SELFCONTAINED
BREATHING APPARATUS WITH A FULL FACEPIECE OPERATED IN THE POSITVE PRESSURE DEMAND MODE WHEN FIGHTING FIRES.
UNUSUAL FIRE AND EXPLOSION HAZARDS
NONE
======================== SECTION V - REACTIVITY DATA =======================
STABILITY: STABLE
CONDITIONS TO AVOID
OXIDIZING CONDITIONS.
INCOMPATIBILITY (MATERIALS TO AVOID)
STRONG OXIDIZING AGENTS.
HAZARDOUS DECOMPOSITION OR BYPRODUCTS
MAY FORM TOXIC MATERIALS: CARBON DIOXIDE AND CARBON MONOXIDE, VARIOUS HYDROCARBONS, ETC.
USA.rpt Page 1 of 3
HAZARDOUS POLYMERIZATION: WILL NOT OCCUR
NOT APPLICABLE
==================== SECTION VI - HEALTH HAZARD DATA =======================
INHALATION HEALTH RISKS AND SYMPTOMS OF EXPOSURE
INHALATION OF MIST MAY CAUSE IRRITATION OF NASAL AND RESPIRATORY PASSAGES.
SKIN AND EYE CONTACT HEALTH RISKS AND SYMPTOMS OF EXPOSURE
PROLONGED OR REPEATED CONTACT MAY CAUSE MODERATE IRRITATION, DEFATTING DERMATITIS. EYE CONTACT MAY CAUSE IRRITATION.
SKIN ABSORPTION HEALTH RISKS AND SYMPTOMS OF EXPOSURE
NOT EXPECTED TO BE ABSORBED THROUGH THE SKIN.
INGESTION HEALTH RISKS AND SYMPTOMS OF EXPOSURE
MAY CAUSE GASTROINTESTINAL IRRITATION, NAUSEA, VOMITING AND DIARRHEA.
HEALTH HAZARDS (ACUTE AND CHRONIC)
EYE CONTACT: MAY CAUSE IRRITATION. SKIN CONTACT MAY RESULT IN IRRITATION, DEFATTING AND/OR DERMATITIS. INHALATION MAY
CAUSE IRRITATION OF THE NASAL AND RESPIRATORY PASSAGES. INGESTION MAY CAUSE GASTROINTESTINAL IRRITATION, NAUSEA,
VOMITING AND DIARRHEA.
CARCINOGENICITY: NTP CARCINOGEN: No IARC MONOGRAPHS: No OSHA REGULATED:
No
NO INFORMATION EXISTS TO INDICATE THAT ANY INGREDIENTS ARE CARGINOGENIC.
MEDICAL CONDITIONS GENERALLY AGGRAVATED BY EXPOSURE
PRE-EXISTING SKIN CONDITIONS MAY BE AGGRAVATED BY EXPOSURE.
EMERGENCY AND FIRST AID PROCEDURES
EYES: FLUSH WITH LARGE AMOUNTS OF WATER, LIFTING UPPER AND LOWER LIDS OCCASIONALLY, GET MEDICAL ATTENTION. SKIN:
THOROUGHLY WASH EXPOSED AREA WITH SOAP AND WATER. REMOVE CONTAMINATED CLOTHING, LAUNDER CLOTHING BEFORE REUSE.
INHALATION: REMOVE INDIVIDUAL TO FRESH AIR, ADMINISTER ARTIFICIAL RESPIRATION IF NECESSARY. INGESTION: DO NOT INDUCE
VOMITING, CALL A PHYSICIAN OR POISON CONTROL CENTER IMMEDIATELY. NEVER GIVE ANYTHING BY MOUTH TO AN UNCONSCIOUS PERSON.
=========== SECTION VII - PRECAUTIONS FOR SAFE HANDLING AND USE ============
STEPS TO BE TAKEN IN CASE MATERIAL IS RELEASED OR SPILLED
ABSORB LIQUID WITH PAPER, VERMICULITE, FLOOR ABSORBENT OR OTHER ABSORBENT MATERIAL. FOR LARGER SPILLS, STOP SPILL AT
SOURCE, DIKE TO PREVENT SPREADING, PUMP TO SALVAGE TANK.
WASTE DISPOSAL METHOD
DISPOSE OF IN ACCORDANCE WITH ALL LOCAL, STATE, AND FEDERAL REGULATIONS.
PRECAUTIONS TO BE TAKEN IN HANDLING AND STORING
STORE CONTAINERS IN CLEAN DRY LOCATION AWAY FROM HEAT, SPARKS AND FLAME. EMPTY CONTAINERS MAY CONTAIN HAZARDOUS PRODUCT
RESIDUE. OBSERVE PRECAUTIONS NOTED ON THIS DATA SHEET.
OTHER PRECAUTIONS
KEEP AWAY FROM CHILDREN
===================== SECTION VIII - CONTROL MEASURES ======================
USA.rpt Page 2 of 3
RESPIRATORY PROTECTION
NOT NORMALLY REQUIRED.
VENTILATION
NOT NORMALLY REQUIRED
PROTECTIVE GLOVES
WEAR RESISTANT GLOVES SUCH AS: NATURAL RUBBER
EYE PROTECTION
WEAR SAFETY GLASSES IN COMPLIANCE WITH OSHA REGULATIONS.
OTHER PROTECTIVE CLOTHING OR EQUIPMENT
NORMAL WORK CLOTHING COVERING ARMS AND LEGS.
WORK/HYGIENIC PRACTICES
WASH THOROUGHLY AFTER HANDLING, AVOID CONTACT WITH EYES AND PROLONGED OR REPEATED CONTACT WITH SKIN.
========================= SECTION IX - DISCLAIMER ==========================
THE INFORMATION PRESENTED HEREIN HAS BEEN COMPILED FROM SOURCES CONSIDERED TO BE DEPENDABLE AND ACCURATE TO THE BEST OF
THE SELLER'S KNOWLEDGE. THE SELLER, HOWEVER, MAKES NO WARRANTY WHATSOEVER, EXPRESSED, IMPLIED OR OF MERCHANTABILITY
REGARDING THE ACCURACY OF SUCH DATA OR RESPONSIBILITY FOR INJURY TO THE BUYER OR THIRD PERSONS OR ANY DAMAGE TO PROPERTY
USA.rpt Page 3 of 3.

PRODUCT NAME: Engine Flush- 12X16oz HMIS CODES: H F R P
PRODUCT CODE: 4030. 0 1 0 B
================== SECTION I - MANUFACTURER IDENTIFICATION =================
MANUFACTURER'S NAME: Bardahl Mfg. Corp.
ADDRESS : 1400 NW 52nd St.
P.O. BOX 70607
Seattle, Wa 98127-0607
EMERGENCY PHONE : 800-424-9300 DATE PRINTED : 4/16/2014
INFORMATION PHONE : 206-783-4851 NAME OF PREPARER : JOHN R. WILSON
========== SECTION II - HAZARDOUS INGREDIENTS/SARA III INFORMATION =========
VAPOR PRESSURE WEIGHT
REPORTABLE COMPONENTS CAS NUMBER mm Hg @ TEMP PERCENT
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** No toxic chemical(s) subject to the reporting requirements of section 313 of Title III and of 40 CFR 372 are
present. ***
DOT PROPER SHIPPING NAME: NOT REGULATED, UN #: NONE, NOT REGULATED
=============== SECTION III - PHYSICAL/CHEMICAL CHARACTERISTICS ============
BOILING RANGE: NOT DETERMINED SPECIFIC GRAVITY (H2O=1): .89
VAPOR DENSITY: HEAVIER THAN AIR EVAPORATION RATE: Slower then Ether.
SOLUBILITY IN WATER: INSOLUBLE
APPEARANCE AND ODOR: AMBER LIQUID WITH PETROLEUM OIL ODOR
================= SECTION IV - FIRE AND EXPLOSION HAZARD DATA ==============
FLASH POINT: 140 C METHOD USED: PMCC
FLAMMABLE LIMITS IN AIR BY VOLUME- LOWER: n/a UPPER: n/a
EXTINGUISHING MEDIA: FOAM, CO2, DRY CHEMICAL
SPECIAL FIREFIGHTING PROCEDURES
WATER OR FOAM MAY CAUSE FROTHING WHICH CAN BE VIOLENT AND POSSIBLY ENDANGER THE LIFE OF THE FIREFIGHTER. WEAR SELFCONTAINED
BREATHING APPARATUS WITH A FULL FACEPIECE OPERATED IN THE POSITVE PRESSURE DEMAND MODE WHEN FIGHTING FIRES.
UNUSUAL FIRE AND EXPLOSION HAZARDS
NONE
======================== SECTION V - REACTIVITY DATA =======================
STABILITY: STABLE
CONDITIONS TO AVOID
OXIDIZING CONDITIONS.
INCOMPATIBILITY (MATERIALS TO AVOID)
STRONG OXIDIZING AGENTS.
HAZARDOUS DECOMPOSITION OR BYPRODUCTS
MAY FORM TOXIC MATERIALS: CARBON DIOXIDE AND CARBON MONOXIDE, VARIOUS HYDROCARBONS, ETC.
USA.rpt Page 1 of 3
HAZARDOUS POLYMERIZATION: WILL NOT OCCUR
NOT APPLICABLE
==================== SECTION VI - HEALTH HAZARD DATA =======================
INHALATION HEALTH RISKS AND SYMPTOMS OF EXPOSURE
INHALATION OF MIST MAY CAUSE IRRITATION OF NASAL AND RESPIRATORY PASSAGES.
SKIN AND EYE CONTACT HEALTH RISKS AND SYMPTOMS OF EXPOSURE
PROLONGED OR REPEATED CONTACT MAY CAUSE MODERATE IRRITATION, DEFATTING DERMATITIS. EYE CONTACT MAY CAUSE IRRITATION.
SKIN ABSORPTION HEALTH RISKS AND SYMPTOMS OF EXPOSURE
NOT EXPECTED TO BE ABSORBED THROUGH THE SKIN.
INGESTION HEALTH RISKS AND SYMPTOMS OF EXPOSURE
MAY CAUSE GASTROINTESTINAL IRRITATION, NAUSEA, VOMITING AND DIARRHEA.
HEALTH HAZARDS (ACUTE AND CHRONIC)
EYE CONTACT: MAY CAUSE IRRITATION. SKIN CONTACT MAY RESULT IN IRRITATION, DEFATTING AND/OR DERMATITIS. INHALATION MAY
CAUSE IRRITATION OF THE NASAL AND RESPIRATORY PASSAGES. INGESTION MAY CAUSE GASTROINTESTINAL IRRITATION, NAUSEA,
VOMITING AND DIARRHEA.
CARCINOGENICITY: NTP CARCINOGEN: No IARC MONOGRAPHS: No OSHA REGULATED:
No
NO INFORMATION EXISTS TO INDICATE THAT ANY INGREDIENTS ARE CARGINOGENIC.
MEDICAL CONDITIONS GENERALLY AGGRAVATED BY EXPOSURE
PRE-EXISTING SKIN CONDITIONS MAY BE AGGRAVATED BY EXPOSURE.
EMERGENCY AND FIRST AID PROCEDURES
EYES: FLUSH WITH LARGE AMOUNTS OF WATER, LIFTING UPPER AND LOWER LIDS OCCASIONALLY, GET MEDICAL ATTENTION. SKIN:
THOROUGHLY WASH EXPOSED AREA WITH SOAP AND WATER. REMOVE CONTAMINATED CLOTHING, LAUNDER CLOTHING BEFORE REUSE.
INHALATION: REMOVE INDIVIDUAL TO FRESH AIR, ADMINISTER ARTIFICIAL RESPIRATION IF NECESSARY. INGESTION: DO NOT INDUCE
VOMITING, CALL A PHYSICIAN OR POISON CONTROL CENTER IMMEDIATELY. NEVER GIVE ANYTHING BY MOUTH TO AN UNCONSCIOUS PERSON.
=========== SECTION VII - PRECAUTIONS FOR SAFE HANDLING AND USE ============
STEPS TO BE TAKEN IN CASE MATERIAL IS RELEASED OR SPILLED
ABSORB LIQUID WITH PAPER, VERMICULITE, FLOOR ABSORBENT OR OTHER ABSORBENT MATERIAL. FOR LARGER SPILLS, STOP SPILL AT
SOURCE, DIKE TO PREVENT SPREADING, PUMP TO SALVAGE TANK.
WASTE DISPOSAL METHOD
DISPOSE OF IN ACCORDANCE WITH ALL LOCAL, STATE, AND FEDERAL REGULATIONS.
PRECAUTIONS TO BE TAKEN IN HANDLING AND STORING
STORE CONTAINERS IN CLEAN DRY LOCATION AWAY FROM HEAT, SPARKS AND FLAME. EMPTY CONTAINERS MAY CONTAIN HAZARDOUS PRODUCT
RESIDUE. OBSERVE PRECAUTIONS NOTED ON THIS DATA SHEET.
OTHER PRECAUTIONS
KEEP AWAY FROM CHILDREN
===================== SECTION VIII - CONTROL MEASURES ======================
USA.rpt Page 2 of 3
RESPIRATORY PROTECTION
NOT NORMALLY REQUIRED.
VENTILATION
NOT NORMALLY REQUIRED
PROTECTIVE GLOVES
WEAR RESISTANT GLOVES SUCH AS: NATURAL RUBBER
EYE PROTECTION
WEAR SAFETY GLASSES IN COMPLIANCE WITH OSHA REGULATIONS.
OTHER PROTECTIVE CLOTHING OR EQUIPMENT
NORMAL WORK CLOTHING COVERING ARMS AND LEGS.
WORK/HYGIENIC PRACTICES
WASH THOROUGHLY AFTER HANDLING, AVOID CONTACT WITH EYES AND PROLONGED OR REPAETED CONTACT WITH SKIN.
========================= SECTION IX - DISCLAIMER ==========================
THE INFORMATION PRESENTED HEREIN HAS BEEN COMPILED FROM SOURCES CONSIDERED TO BE DEPENDABLE AND ACCURATE TO THE BEST OF
THE SELLER'S KNOWLEDGE. THE SELLER, HOWEVER, MAKES NO WARRANTY WHATSOEVER, EXPRESSED, IMPLIED OR OF MERCHANTABILITY
REGARDING THE ACCURACY OF SUCH DATA OR RESPONSIBILITY FOR INJURY TO THE BUYER OR THIRD PERSONS OR ANY DAMAGE TO PROPERTY
USA.rpt Page 3 of 3

You may call Bardshal for more info and speak to their research and development department.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

How about some one point me to a an engine manufacturer that recommends bearing washings with snake oils? Better yet show me one that would stand behind the engine warranty if you told them you flush it with solvents, soap, or anything but the approved oil?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:06 pm 
LOST Member

Consider this. What makes the oil light? Bardahls website regarding this product is very carefully worded. " Contains no harmful solvents that harm seals" it does not say "contains no solvents" the flashpoint on the MSDS gives it away. Please don't let my opinions change your flushing routine. I tend to rely on data such as UOAs instead of corporate propaganda and manufactures marketing tactics. :2cents: