It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2.8 colorado in canada
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:48 pm 
LOST Junkie

hey guys , just went to Toronto auto show , i seen our favourite engine and yes it is so nice looking truck Z71 off road pick up truck , i guess this is the first year in canada will see how many buyers will get on this side of the border ,,, ?

Post subject: Re: 2.8 colorado in canada
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:24 pm 
LOST Member

They put THIS VM 2.8 into the Colorado?

what the hell are they thinking? its a freaking LEMON (the engine not the truck)

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD 271'000+ KM's, ORM, Muffler Delete, MOROSO oil/air separator unit, 1000 CA battery, ARB Bull bumper, OME coils/shocks 2" lift. Custom BushRoo roof rack & Bush Joey hitch rack. Mobil1-301 oil filter & Mobil 1 DELVAC ESP 0W40 Full Synthetic oil, custom rear hatch cargo rack. RACOR 245 filterhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:31 pm 
LOST Junkie

Bushman5 wrote:

what the hell are they thinking? its a freaking LEMON (the engine not the truck)

Not the same design

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:36 pm 
LOST Addict

Bushman5 wrote:

It really only shares the displacement. Almost everything else is different from the injection system to the turbo.

I've test driven one and its quite nice. My biggest hold up is the price. The diesel option is almost 4000 USD over the V6 and then when you factor that the V6's are getting 5-6k off msrp and the diesel gets 1000 at most, that price differential grows to 8-9k. No mid sized diesel is worth that.

And then when you consider you can get a pretty loaded Ram ED/F150/Silverado for the same price as an LT or Z71 Dmax colorado . . . . .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:06 am 
LOST Junkie

yes lovely truck and engine , but most of people run away because it is so expensive ,, lol they probably read our nightmares with our 2.8 VM , well most people went to look 6 cylinder gas engine , i guess Canadiens like gas engines LOL . hey but i like it, i want it , it is 2.8 it will keep me busy , i can do all the upgrades and that would be my retirement project , LOL of course with help from you guys. cheers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:31 am 
LOST Junkie

hey i think ill pass on this tempting deal from GM , i did tell them i can fix my VM 2.8 overnight in my sleep . i guess they don't know me lol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:43 am 
LOST Addict

Bushman5 wrote:

Why would the crd 2.8 engine be a lemon? What's the reason for this statement?

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:56 am 
LOST Addict

rankom wrote:
yes lovely truck and engine , but most of people run away because it is so expensive ,, lol they probably read our nightmares with our 2.8 VM , well most people went to look 6 cylinder gas engine , i guess Canadiens like gas engines LOL . hey but i like it, i want it , it is 2.8 it will keep me busy , i can do all the upgrades and that would be my retirement project , LOL of course with help from you guys. cheers

I have heard the new V6(all new V6 for 2017) and 8 speed combo is pretty nice.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:24 am 
LOST Member

thermorex wrote:
Bushman5 wrote:

really? $9700 in repairs and that amount is climbing everyday. . Thats why its a lemon. I have never seen a vehicle that requires so many repairs, so frequently. And i've owned a LOT of vehicles.

anyways.

I was hoping the Colorado would come with a Cummins.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD 271'000+ KM's, ORM, Muffler Delete, MOROSO oil/air separator unit, 1000 CA battery, ARB Bull bumper, OME coils/shocks 2" lift. Custom BushRoo roof rack & Bush Joey hitch rack. Mobil1-301 oil filter & Mobil 1 DELVAC ESP 0W40 Full Synthetic oil, custom rear hatch cargo rack. RACOR 245 filterhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:01 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Actually our 2.8, the basic engine is pretty tough, with a couple exceptions and they are all head gasket and above. (head bolts, gasket, valves / rockers, and the timing belt fiasco that requires major overhaul work every 7-10 years.)

Other than those, all the problems come from badly engineered add-on stuff required by EPA, and sold to the world.
(EGR + oil-laden CCV)
(Catalytic converter that necks exhaust to 2" or less, and requires excess unburned fuel to fire it, and poor cam timing that allows the fuel to pass through the combustion chamber from intake to exhaust, unburnt.)

And all results of the C-J-D bean-counters' decisions:
A fully electronically controlled engine and transmission (not a bad thing) That is controlled by a C-J-D electronic nightmare. (REALLY bad thing) (bad switches, glitchy programming, REALLY cheap wiring with insulation that doesn't hold up, and fails at poorly designed stress points.
Components that are not up to the task required. IE rear window regulators (not an engine thing, I know, but) Torque Converter totally underdesigned for the task, and the fix is to NERF the engine? Really?
A vehicle that shares the same wiring, relay and programming with the gas version, but they leave the fuel pump out?
What did that save? $5 per vehicle? Stick it in and charge us $20! But no, they want the service work. :banghead:
And annoying things like a super-long trans dipstick that pops out every time it's driven, unless it's cut off short so you have to make your own marks.

So it seems to me that the VM engine is actually one of the better things Fiat has sold in America.
Compare to:
(X-1/9) :banghead:
124 spider :banghead:

It seems the biggest mistake they made was allowing it to be installed in a vehicle that C-J-D viewed as their version of a Yugo.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:11 am 

GordnadoCRD wrote:
It seems the biggest mistake they made was allowing it to be installed in a vehicle that C-J-D viewed as their version of a Yugo.

A "Yugo", thats pretty low! :ROTFL:
There are a lot of quirky things on this vehicle to either love or hate!!! But it definitely is a unique little vehicle and very rare in my part of the county! Have only seen one other CRD in three years since purchasing mine... :shock:

As to the design, its different somewhat in the engine arena, but if VMI had used studs for the head, designed a better CCV system, and not had to EGR it, it would have been a much better design with little motor problems... :roll:

Also, my youngest son had a 2016 Colorado V6 truck and he hates the fuel milage, he says it really sucks in that area....otherwise, he likes it!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:15 pm 
LOST Addict

Bushman5 wrote:
thermorex wrote:
Bushman5 wrote:

really? $9700 in repairs and that amount is climbing everyday. . Thats why its a lemon. I have never seen a vehicle that requires so many repairs, so frequently. And i've owned a LOT of vehicles.

anyways.

I was hoping the Colorado would come with a Cummins.

By all means I don't want to start an argument with you on the engine topic, but as Gornado and wwdiesel mentioned, the engine is robust, side some issues such as egr and ccv. Studs are always better but many 2.8 vm crd haven't had studs replaced and haven't had issues either. I don't have studs on mine and knock on wood I haven't had an issue. Wish I had them installed when I did the rocker change but I didn't think about it.

The problems you see with the 2.8 crd are mainly due to neglecting the recommended maintenance and poor design of the egr (big part of this is due to pollution requirements). Torque converter issues, air in fuel, bad boost hoses, bad windows regulators, electrical issues- blame dcj for being cheap, not the vm. This engine is also used on boats and other vehicles in Europe, including the London taxi. If it would be such a lemon as you said, they wouldn't have been able to sell so many. Also, just because you spent so much money (you can probably get a crate engine for that much btw) it doesn't make the vm 2.8 r428 a lemon.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:33 pm 
LOST Junkie

thank you guys , il keep you informed if i see any COLORADO 2.8 in ontario on the road , i do see eco diesels a lot ,,, but so far only one or two colorado Z71 2.8 in michigan roads . i guess they are so RARE like our CRD .

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:21 am 
LOST Addict

I am working on an upgrade thermostat for the Duramax 2.8L; it has even more issues with the O.E. thermostat than the Liberty CRD.

A different design thermostat assembly with a low 80 degree Celsius, (176 degree Fahrenheit), valve in an even worse place than the Liberty CRD.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:34 am 
LOST Addict

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK wrote:
I am working on an upgrade thermostat for the Duramax 2.8L; it has even more issues with the O.E. thermostat than the Liberty CRD.

A different design thermostat assembly with a low 80 degree Celsius, (176 degree Fahrenheit), valve in an even worse place than the Liberty CRD.

Hey Jeff, leave the Colorado thermostat and work on the 3.0 EcoDiesel thermostat, there are way more of those and you know I'll get one! Lol. Really, a Serviceable unit for EcoDiesel would be awesome, the thermostat opens at 205F and is fully opened at 225F. That's crazy...

Maybe you change your mind? Pretty please...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:56 am 
LOST Addict

thermorex wrote:

Hey Jeff, leave the Colorado thermostat and work on the 3.0 EcoDiesel thermostat, there are way more of those and you know I'll get one! Lol. Really, a Serviceable unit for EcoDiesel would be awesome, the thermostat opens at 205F and is fully opened at 225F. That's crazy...

Send me a thermostat core and perhaps I can do something. I will also need schematics of the engine bay and photos of the area immediately around the 3.0 EcoDiesel's thermostat assembly.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:54 pm 
LOST Member

I m not in Canada , but I love mine , 2016 GM demo so I got it used with 5500 miles

still not cheap , @ $34k

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:31 pm 
LOST Junkie

well now in 2017 there is no ECO DIESEL in Canada , they don't sell it any more so i asked GM sales guy about future of colorado 2.8 and he said i was one of the first to ask ? he didn't like me asking about it , all he said why would i keep it on the lot nobody is buying it , ??? so I'm guessing it is going to be hard to see one on the road here .

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:32 pm 
LOST Addict

thermorex wrote:

Send me a thermostat core and perhaps I can do something. I will also need schematics of the engine bay and photos of the area immediately around the 3.0 EcoDiesel's thermostat assembly.

Hey Jeff,

I will shoot you a PM with more details, thanks. The unit is also sealed (not with serviceable thermostat) but much simpler than CRD's.

Links - in case pics don't show:

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AslJJvp9P8jgoTShY-2GjviwcLcu
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AslJJvp9P8jgoTVwaw1AOTnJh8B8

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:08 pm 
LOST Addict

rankom wrote:
well now in 2017 there is no ECO DIESEL in Canada , they don't sell it any more so i asked GM sales guy about future of colorado 2.8 and he said i was one of the first to ask ? he didn't like me asking about it , all he said why would i keep it on the lot nobody is buying it , ??? so I'm guessing it is going to be hard to see one on the road here .

I thought only US didn't have the 2017 EcoDiesels, and this due to some epa issues with the Bosch ecm that changes the operating parameters depending on specific temperatures and conditions, epa said that the nox levels are higher than what was said in the specs in some (not all - like vw) circumstances. There is also a class action law suit regarding this. Apparently this looks like is close to an end and already jeep sells again the EcoDiesel with ram following.

The Colorado and Canyon are way overpriced in my opinion and unless someone really needs a small truck, it's way cheaper to get an EcoDiesel or a Cummins 2500, considering the current incentives. Plus you get a full sized truck that is more comfortable and useful, unless driving in an urbanized area where smaller vehicles are preferred.