It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Car stall, won't turn, PCM bad?!?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

05 Liberty CRD here.

Car has been running fine, but today I started the vehicle, backed out, and it stalled. Couldn't get the engine to turn after that.

Towed it to a shop I go to, and they're telling me the PCM needs to be replaced. Looking at about $1,700.

What do you all think? I've recently been laid off, haven't been able to find something else, and getting this done will drain the last of my savings.

In appreciate any advice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Car stall, won't turn, PCM bad?!?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:04 pm 
LOST Addict

The good news is that there are several inexpensive things to check first:
battery
fuses
ASD relay
starter relay
ignition switch
crank sensor
And if you have a code scanner, scan it yourself to possibly identify the problem.

The bad news is that none of the engine parts are cheap and relying on a shop to do all the diagnosis and repair only makes it worse.
If it turns out to actually be the the ECM, search ebay for a used one. It has to be for a 2005 CRD.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:14 pm 
LOST Member

Highly unlikely it is the PCM. How did they come to that conclusion? When you say you couldn't get it to "turn" you mean it would crank but not start or it wouldn't even crank?

If it cranks but won't start then the first culprit to check (and usually the easiest) is air in fuel. Do you have an aftermarket lift-pump of any kind installed? (Do you hear a "whirring" sound coming from the rear of the vehicle when you turn to key to "on" but do not actually start it?) Does your fuel filter head have a blue connector plugged into the front of it? If either of those are a "no" then you likely have air in your fuel to SOME extent. Press the plunger on the filter head multiple times until it gets stiff and you cannot push it anymore. Use a (9/16"?) wrench to open the bleeder on the side and see if any air comes out. If it does, keep repeating this process until only steady fuel comes out (make sure you have a large rag to catch the fuel), then try to start it again. If it starts and runs normally for a decent amount of time, then you have likely found your problem. The solution is a lift-pump and second version fuel filter head. There are multiple threads on these forums regarding the installation of both. Use Google to find them, since the search function here on the website is close to useless.

If you DO have the new-style filter head AND a lift pump, then we will have to move on to the next option. My next best guess without more information (DTC codes, etc) would be a failing crank position sensor but those usually fail as the engine temps start to rise. Not so much when cold unless it has failed completely. If you can get the shop to check the codes that would help in diagnosing this.

If it won't crank at all, then I'll have to hand this over to one of the smart people on this forum who knows more about the electrical side. They can diagnose problems like that way better than I can.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:31 pm 
LOST Member

I'll second the ASD relay and fuse. The relay grounds in one of the contacts inside the ECU. If the ECU not seeing voltage there the engine doesn't crank.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If it won't crank when key is turned may be broken plastic "rod" from key switch to ignition switch on left side of column. See my tech PDF at http://colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/ for some hints on how to test. You will have to look thru the bookmarks to find the right section.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:18 pm 

LyndseyPaige wrote:
05 Liberty CRD here.
Car has been running fine, but today I started the vehicle, backed out, and it stalled. Couldn't get the engine to turn after that.
Towed it to a shop I go to, and they're telling me the PCM needs to be replaced. Looking at about $1,700.
What do you all think? I've recently been laid off, haven't been able to find something else, and getting this done will drain the last of my savings.

Need more information to offer a good diagnosis or advice by some of the experts on this forum!
What have you checked or done so far?
How did the shop come to the conclusion that it needed a PCM? A PCM going bad is EXTREMELY rare, almost unheard of! :shock:
I doubt very seriously that is the problem! :roll:
If you backed out and it was running ok and it just quit, you probably got air in fuel or blew a fuse or a sensor crapped out.
Where you located? May be a LOST member close by that can offer help!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
LyndseyPaige wrote:
05 Liberty CRD here.

Need more information to offer a good diagnosis or advice by some of the experts on this forum!
What have you checked or done so far?
How did the shop come to the conclusion that it needed a PCM? A PCM going bad is EXTREMELY rare, almost unheard of! :shock:
I doubt very seriously that is the problem! :roll:
If you backed out and it was running ok and it just quit, you probably got air in fuel or blew a fuse or a sensor crapped out.
Where you located? May be a LOST member close by that can offer help!
I'm in the Houston area between Spring and Cypress. The place ran a computer diagnostics and apparently that's what came back. I don't know as much as I would like about my Jeep, but it just seems off. Wanted to do some research before calling tomorrow. They didnt say anything about checking the fuel pump.

It has been running fine with no problems at all. When it stalled, I could get the engine to crank, but can't get it to turn over. I did not give the go ahead for them to move forward because frankly, I'm not dropping that kind of cash if it's not guaranteed to fix the problem.

Now awhile back, I did get royally screwed at a transmission shop. They didn't disconnect the computer correctly, and so now my jeep is reading as a manual, not an automatic, but I haven't been able to find a dealership that has the equipment to reset the computer. Regardless, it's never caused any issues before. I just make sure to not to drive aggressively.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:37 am 
LOST Member

First make sure that the engine can manually be turned over with a large spanner on the end of the crankshaft....otherwise you have interference.

Make sure you do not have the RED LED on the left of the cluster staying ON or flashing while you are cranking the engine...this LED is for the SKIS anti theft system and it should go out after a few seconds of ignition being turned ON.

If that is OK you can try start it in Neutral instead of Park.

Then before following papaindigo's advice as regards the possible broken actuator pin assembly, make sure the vehicle is in Park or Neutral and the ignition is turned ON. Now remove the Starter Relay from the box under the hood. In the empty relay slot find female pins 30 and 87......briefly jumper these two female pins together. If Fuse 8 (40 A) in the box under the hood is OK then the engine should turn over and hopefully run....provided the battery and connections are good.

This procedure bypasses the Starter Relay, the Actuator Pin Assembly and the Park/Neutral interlocks.

If the engine does turn over but does not fire then swap over the ASD relay with an identical one next to it and pump air out of the fuel filter head as mentioned and check all fuses inside the cabin and under the hood.

I am surprised that the engine did initially run with the ECM programmed for a manual instead of an auto box....you will need the Dealers to set this up correctly! :?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:45 am 
LOST Addict

I am still not totally clear about your problem. Does the engine rotate when you turn the ignition to the start position or does it do nothing?
It would definitely be highly unlikely that the computer module is the problem.

The air in fuel problem mentioned is related to the fuel filter housing not the fuel pump.

For future reference, the transmission module is separate from the main computer module. Transmission module on passenger side computer module on drivers side. The transmission module is not vehicle or year specific any module from 05 or 06 Jeep liberty diesel sold in US is compatible.

If you need a module it would need to have the vin number of your jeep installed in it. GDE can do this for about $50 and shipping with very fast turn around probably 4 business days or less. Here is a link to one on eBay right now and you could probably have it shipped to GDE directly to save time.http://www.ebay.com/itm/TESTED-05-JEEP- ... O~&vxp=mtr

Any 2005 US jeep liberty diesel module will work. If you want to confirm its the problem the ECM can be replaced without changing the VIN with any 2006 0r 2005 ECM and the engine will start and run for a few seconds normally then cut off. ,but only the 2005 module can be used as permanent replacement.

You need the codes badly. There are codes for communicating problems with ECM these could be related to many causes such as bad grounding wire connections.

I agree with others most common things if engine rotates but doesn't start are
1: air in fuel, bleed air pump filter housing
2: Fuel filter clogged or possibly water in fuel , warning sensor may not be working
3: Crank position sensor
4. Low voltage to ECM from various causes including Battery shorting

If You really want to confirm it is the ECM I have a 2005 one you could use for testing for a returnable deposit. I don't want to sell it but it would start and run your vehicle for a few seconds then you wouldn't be wasting your money on one if it isn't the problem which I suspect it isn't. PM me if you want to consider this.

Also its highly unlikely anyone but GDE or a dealer would be able to change the VIN number in a ECM module to work permanently with your vehicle.

Many able and willing to help here but need more info.

Good Luck, Hope its just air in fuel.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

TKB4 wrote:
I am still not totally clear about your problem. Does the engine rotate when you turn the ignition to the start position or does it do nothing?
It would definitely be highly unlikely that the computer module is the problem.

The air in fuel problem mentioned is related to the fuel filter housing not the fuel pump.

For future reference, the transmission module is separate from the main computer module. Transmission module on passenger side computer module on drivers side. The transmission module is not vehicle or year specific any module from 05 or 06 Jeep liberty diesel sold in US is compatible.

If you need a module it would need to have the vin number of your jeep installed in it. GDE can do this for about $50 and shipping with very fast turn around probably 4 business days or less. Here is a link to one on eBay right now and you could probably have it shipped to GDE directly to save time.http://www.ebay.com/itm/TESTED-05-JEEP- ... O~&vxp=mtr

Any 2005 US jeep liberty diesel module will work. If you want to confirm its the problem the ECM can be replaced without changing the VIN with any 2006 0r 2005 ECM and the engine will start and run for a few seconds normally then cut off. ,but only the 2005 module can be used as permanent replacement.

You need the codes badly. There are codes for communicating problems with ECM these could be related to many causes such as bad grounding wire connections.

I agree with others most common things if engine rotates but doesn't start are
1: air in fuel, bleed air pump filter housing
2: Fuel filter clogged or possibly water in fuel , warning sensor may not be working
3: Crank position sensor
4. Low voltage to ECM from various causes including Battery shorting

If You really want to confirm it is the ECM I have a 2005 one you could use for testing for a returnable deposit. I don't want to sell it but it would start and run your vehicle for a few seconds then you wouldn't be wasting your money on one if it isn't the problem which I suspect it isn't. PM me if you want to consider this.

Also its highly unlikely anyone but GDE or a dealer would be able to change the VIN number in a ECM module to work permanently with your vehicle.

Many able and willing to help here but need more info.

Good Luck, Hope its just air in fuel.
Thank you so much!

You all have given me a great list of things to discuss with the mechanic.

One code I know I'm getting is P1267.

I just wish i had the tools/know how to have tried a few things myself before having it towed, but then again I wasn't expected such a hefty quote!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:11 pm 
LOST Addict

P1267 is a bad #4 glow plug

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:38 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Lyndsey,

I'm the traveling mechanic for the CRD, and I've worked on over 75 of them now. Since you obviously had your engine running to be able to back it out of the driveway (or parking place) and I'm going to assume you hadn't *just then* installed that computer in the engine... I can say with absolute certainty that unless you were struck by lightning right there and then, it is pretty much impossible for the ECU to be the problem you are having.

A couple things for clarity: "engine turning over" and "cranking" are the exact same thing. The starter engages and forces the engine to rotate, pistons go up and down. This is NOT combustion. "engine firing" or "running" is combustion, which is what you obviously want, and when you get it, you let go of the key from the start position.

I'm just aiming for precision because there have been a few confusing statements in this thread and I definitely want to help you. I suspect the problem you are having is related to air in the fuel, as it is one of the only causes that could both stop an engine that is already running, and prevent it from firing again even as you turn the key and it turns over / tries to start.

Not many people know this, but the CRD did not come with a fuel pump in the tank. It is entirely a suction system, so any air leak causes big problems. In your engine, the fuel filter is underneath what is called a filter manager. That has the big priming button on it and on the other side is a little bleeder screw to let the air out. Over-tightening that bleed screw can cause air leaks, but many people don't use that much. On the front are two electrical plugs - is the one on the right (closer to the fender) large and blue, or is it the same size as the left one and black / red? This makes a difference because the smaller plug (non-blue) is the old style and has a tendency to crack, leak air, and possibly cause fires. If you have the blue plug, it is the new style.

If it is the old style plug, a temporary fix is to spray out the socket with brake cleaner, then fill it with silicone RTV. Any type that you have laying around will work, you are making an airtight plug. You don't need the electrical connection anyway, that is the fuel heater. This may be enough to get you running again.

Now, about the transmission mismatch code. As was mentioned, this design has an external transmission computer. There is some variation in what was available around the world, some other places got Jeeps with manual transmissions. There are no known differences in the engine computer between the manual and the automatic. What has happened however is if the CRD is improperly jump-started at some point, the computer can become "confused" and this specific code can appear and refuse to be reset. Even dealerships have failed at clearing it. It is an annoyance for sure, but there IS a cure. A customized engine tune can be created that will remove just this one code from the system. Green Diesel Engineering offers some very highly refined (and very highly rated) tunes and they would be able to do this for you. I can also create custom tunes on-site, but the base tune is not as refined as GDE's. It is good but theirs is definitely nicer. Don't let the mechanic tell you that this particular code has ANYTHING AT ALL to do with anything about your CRD, it doesn't. There is no failure mode attached to this code, it is simply an informational annoyance. It won't put you in limp mode, won't prevent you from starting or running. It is just a glitch to be ignored or deleted with a custom tune.

I am about to depart on a CRD service trip if you would like me to put you and your CRD on the schedule, email me (button below) and we can discuss your options. Hopefully some of these comments have helped you out and saved you a ton on repairing things that aren't broken!

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

flash7210 wrote:
P1267 is a bad #4 glow plug
Thank you! I compiled a list to discuss tomorrow with the autoshop. Calling a dealer close to me too that can hopefully answer some questions.

You all have been awesome!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

I spoke with the autoshop today, and these are the codes they gave me.

P0101 - have had that for years, just can't find a dealership with the right equipment to reset it, go figure.

P0674

P0610

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:50 pm 
LOST Addict

P0674 is a glow plug problem.
p0101 is the mass air flow (MAF) sensor.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:53 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
LyndseyPaige wrote:

P0101 - have had that for years, just can't find a dealership with the right equipment to reset it, go figure.

P0674

P0610

101 is the mass airflow sensor. Is it unplugged? That is the usual reason, and it is generally unplugged on purpose to stop the EGR from opening.

610 is the transmission coding error. Ignore this.
674 is either a glow plug 4 short circuit, or a glow plug 4 failure.

Does the engine spin (but not fire) when you turn the key... Or nothing at all?

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

geordi wrote:
LyndseyPaige wrote:

P0674

P0610

101 is the mass airflow sensor. Is it unplugged? That is the usual reason, and it is generally unplugged on purpose to stop the EGR from opening.

610 is the transmission coding error. Ignore this.
674 is either a glow plug 4 short circuit, or a glow plug 4 failure.

Does the engine spin (but not fire) when you turn the key... Or nothing at all?
It does spin thankfully, just won't start.

Just spoke to another shop and they think it's the fuel pump. But told me to not give the green light for repairs at the place my jeep is at now, that the codes would not cause the jeep to just stall like while in reverse, and then not start.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:20 pm 
LOST Addict

Quote:
Just spoke to another shop and they think it's the fuel pump

A completely stock, unmodified CRD, will only have one fuel pump. And that is the injection pump bolted to the engine.
If you thought a new ECU was expensive... :shock:

And if it was the injection pump, you would likely have a low fuel pressure code.

Best to start by inspecting the fuel filter assembly for leaks.
Unplug the two wire connectors on it to see if they are wet with fuel. They should be dry.
Then, use the hand primer to pump it up. Open the bleeder to see if air comes out.
If anything less than a solid stream of fuel comes out, close the bleeder and repeat.
You will need a 11mm wrench and a small cup to catch the fuel.

And if you dont know the last time the fuel filter was changed, now would be a good time to change it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

flash7210 wrote:
Quote:
Just spoke to another shop and they think it's the fuel pump

A completely stock, unmodified CRD, will only have one fuel pump. And that is the injection pump bolted to the engine.
If you thought a new ECU was expensive... :shock:

And if it was the injection pump, you would likely have a low fuel pressure code.

Best to start by inspecting the fuel filter assembly for leaks.
Unplug the two wire connectors on it to see if they are wet with fuel. They should be dry.
Then, use the hand primer to pump it up. Open the bleeder to see if air comes out.
If anything less than a solid stream of fuel comes out, close the bleeder and repeat.
You will need a 11mm wrench and a small cup to catch the fuel.

And if you dont know the last time the fuel filter was changed, now would be a good time to change it.
Unfortunately the Jeep is currently sitting at a mechanics shop, and in any case I don't have the know how or the tools do really do anything myself.

The estimated I'm seeing online are around $750, much better than the $1,800+ quote I'm getting to replace the PCM.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:30 pm 
LOST Member

Crank sensor first! Then check for possible fuel issue. It did die while travelling and running fine for a while? Mine needed a 16 minutes commute minimum before stopping. Less if I heat soaked it by stopping somewhere on the way. Has it restarted when cold?

Fuel problems can be temporarily fixed enough to at least get it running again.