It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trouble with TPMS after ignition actuator replacement
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

2006 CRD Limited had a failure of the ignition switch actuator pin under the steering column. Classic failure that left me all positions on the key except I couldn't rotate far enough to start. Got the Dorman part to replace the broken one and installed it. I did this with the battery negative off because there are some wires getting unplugged from the ignition switch to get it out of the way. I followed the FSM instructions and changeout was pretty easy. During the disassembly I removed the WCM's clip mount from the aluminum rail to get it out of the way but did not unplug it. Reassembled everything and hooked the battery back up, seemed to work ok so I drove it 1/2 mile from shop to home.

Today I got in it to go to town and I got a TPMS tire warning light by the gages. I checked overhead EVIC display to see if a tire was low, this is the version that shows all four pressures, and I have -- on all four positions. Drove to town about ten miles, then drove back about ten. No changes, tires not low. My 08 wk has a similar setup so I know that there are 3 wheel well sensors and the signals end up at the WCM. The odds of all four pressure sensors failing at once or all three wheel well sensors put those items out, especially since I was working near the WCM.

From what I can see in the FSM the TPMS can set diagnostic codes. I put a maxidas 708 scanner on it and ran a full scan that came up clear then cleared all codes anyway just to be sure. No change in display, EVIC says check TPMS system, but no diagnostic codes on scan. RKE fob keys work and SKIM lets it run so I believe the WCM is working, at least in part.

So anybody got any ideas why I am not getting pressures displayed? Could it be that when I unclipped the WCM that it lost ground and forgot the sensors and I need to do a longer drive? My wk will aquire a sensor change in a tire switch within a mile or two.

I dropped the cover under the column this evening and unplugged/replugged the connector to the WCM to make sure it was seated good but ran out of time because of other obligations before I looked to see if the sensor id numbers would still show up on the scan tool, it can see them when everything is working.

Tim

Post subject: Re: Trouble with TPMS after ignition actuator replacement
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

Tried to work on this problem some more this morning. The scanner had a test for WCM to wheel well transponder and it said all three were communicating. It also could show me all five tire pressure serial numbers so it wasn't like it forgot the during battery or WCM disconnect. I looked at the WCM bracket closer, it does not provide a ground even though its a metal clip on an aluminum mounting surface the WCM case is plastic with no electrical connection to the bracket.

The scan tool could also look for the wheel sensor signals after reaching 20 mph to activate them. I went to deliver some parts on a 40 mile round trip and left the scan tool hooked up. It couldn't detect any signals from the wheel sensors. After reading more online, in the fsm, and some other TPMS topics I ran across a post on a wrangler forum about tire pressures being too high causing a problem. I have owned this Jeep about a month and have not adjusted the pressure in the tires. They had been displaying 38-40 depending on temperature. I let some air out of all 5 to get them closer to 33 and took it for a drive. Within a few seconds after exceeding 20 mph the EVIC was showing all 4 pressures properly.

I am still not sure what triggered the signal loss issue after at least a month running the same higher pressure. However it is apparent that running 5-7 psi high will prevent the system from resetting itself after either a signal disconnect or power disconnect happens.

Posting this follow up just to help out anybody who may run into the same problem.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:46 pm 

Thanks for sharing, I had not read that before and it is good information to know! :D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

To make this even more strange we had a trip planned today to go south to Florida and I decided to take the CRD for the road trip instead of my wifes Patriot. 2016 Patriot is way newer and probably more reliable but I wanted to take the liberty on a long run. Now with the tires reduced pressure to spec cold at 33-34 in Kentucky at around freezing outside off we went.

Made an easy day of about 500 miles and no issues but as the tires warmed up and the air temps got above 70 the pressure readings climbed to 40-42, and not a problem. May need to adjust them again in the morning after they cool off cause its going to be up in the mid 80's by the end of the trip :pepper: could end up looking like this pepper guy by the end of the week without lots of sunscreen.

It seems it can read pressures that high if they go up while its running or if you over inflate but it couldn't reset itself from a high pressure start after a disconnect due to a high limit setting in either the WCM or ECM.

I read about Wrangler owners using a AEV Procal being able to reset the pressure parameters where the high and low limits are when they run oversize tires for offroad after a lift ect. and also deleting the TPMS to get rid of dash lights and EVIC warnings when running tires without sensors in them.

I like my TPMS being able to warn me if a tire is going low while travelling so I wouldn't turn it off but I can see where it could come in handy to temporarily turn it off when running low pressures for off road fun without having lights bells and warning messages pop up.