It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 07 Liberty CRD dumb found
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:17 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi All , Im totally new to this forum but what Ive been reading I think this is the best place for help.I have a 2007 CRD Liberty that has suddenly decided to start running bad , it wont rev over 3000 , it smokes like a chimney and sounds like a tractor on heat.So far I have checked the turbo by checking the veins and if there is any play on the bearings ,All is well.Removed the EGR and its clean as a whistle.Did however notice that the pipe leading from the turbo to the EGR (Think its called an Elephant pipe or something) is not 100% sealed at the joins.When I rev it it leacks oil onto the fire wall from some where.I managed to get it hooked up to an OBD11 reader and there were no fault codes
I live in sunny South Africa and the mechanics just rip us off where ever they can. :banghead: Please helppppp :cry:

Post subject: Re: 07 Liberty CRD dumb found
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:12 am 
LOST Member

What part of South Africa are you in?

Welcome to the site.....best site for CRD issues.

The Dealers here in SA are pretty useless!
First make sure you read Sams Noob Guide...covers a lot of common problems.

Smoking and lack of power can be torn or holed CAC hoses...I have had this. You need to pull them off and examine them carefully for tears etc. Note how they are aligned before removing them so that you put them back in place with the correct rotation before tightening up the hoses clamps.
Most overseas owners use Silicon Samco hoses...last much longer and come in different colors.....I just replaced with OEM some years ago. My one clamp came loose on a long trip and the Jeep slowed down drastically and hade no power so check that as well.

Any fuel supply problems do not usually post any codes so make sure you know how to bleed air out of the system and make sure you have a clean fuel filter. My old fuel filter would cause my old 2002 Export 2.5 CRD to suddenly cut out completely...a few seconds later it would be able to re-start.

Elephant hose refers to a pipe directing crankcase pressure/oil to the ground or to a catch-can rather than feed it back into the intake where it soils the inside of the CAC hoses with oil...this is a mod that I have not bothered with.
Yesterday I removed the round black plastic box, CCV valve, on top of the cam cover which feeds the crank gases back into the system...leaks around that area are not uncommon....gave the black box a good clean inside.

Smoke and low power can also be the MAP sensor needs cleaning...I cleaned mine yesterday due to this problem.
Sams Guide covers this well....just treat the MAP sensor with care....use Brake Cleaner spray to spray it clean.

Also maybe add a good make of Diesel Fuel Injector Cleaner to your next tank of fuel....I only use Sasol diesel as it is the cleanest at 10 ppm Sulphur!

If need be try a different Dealer...next dealer may find some stored error codes!

The Crankshaft Sensor and the Camshaft sensor are known to have give problems...I have not yet had any problems.

It is difficult to get 2007 KJ Service Manuals but download the 2006 Manuals here..should be close enough!

http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi Dylan,

I second Billybob,s post.

Also check the hose that connects the air filter "box" to the turbo. I had to remove the hose to check for damage and found a teat in the rubber at the bottom of the hose where it angles towards the turbo. Only available at the dealers and quite expensive but essential.

Forgive me for asking, but did you actually dismantle and take off the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculator) unit with it's cooler that is situated below the CAC inlet hose/FCV (Flow Control Valve) to check it? If so, did you remove the air inlet/FCV manifold from the engine? The first time I did this I did not ensure that the gasket was ok. (The EGR was so clogged I had to install a new one). I got lucky and could use the old gasket again after making sure the mating surfaces were spotless. Due to the awkward/uncomfortable placement of the four manifold bolts I did not tighten/torque them properly during re-assembly resulting in an air leak. This could explain the mess against the fire wall. This "mess" is caused by oil vapor from the CCV valve mixing with the the soot from the EGR that creates a horrible goo that will eventually build up in the intake manifold and clog up the EGR. You can prevent this by installing an oil catch can between the CCV valve and the pipe linking to the turbo inlet hose and blocking off or removing the EGR like WWDiesel and others on this forum did.

The reason for this long winded paragraph is your comment that the EGR is "clean as a whistle" If this was the first time that the EGR was removed it is higly unlikely to be this clean. The FCV on the other hand is situated behind the aluminium flange where the CAC hose connects with a steel clamp and, if you are lucky will only have a light coating of oil vapor/soot. Could this be where you checked instead of the actual EGR. (I apologise beforehand if this is not the case).

As Billybob said this is the best site for all your CRD queries.

Susp:Ironman Coils, Shocks new bushes and ball joints
Therm: Replaced
EGR: Cleaned, re-installed
CCV Catch Can
MAP sensor: Cleaned
Injectors: Repl
Alt pulley: Repl
Serp Belt: Repl
Crank Pos Sens: Replaced
T/B & W/P: Repl @ 200k Km
Repl Cer GP with Etechno 7V GP 212k Km
Repl CCV

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:31 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Hey Dylan welcome to the group!

I think you hit on the possible answer: Smoke and poor running is usually related to either too much fuel or not enough air. Since you have fuel (and that is controlled electronically, then the solution must be lack of air (boost) and that is easy to chase down. You cannot rev above 3000 because the computer has placed the engine in "limp mode" likely because it cannot develop enough boost and you have an "underboost" code and a check engine light.

If the crossover pipe from the exhaust manifold to the EGR that runs behind the engine is not sealed, you are losing exhaust pressure and will not be able to develop proper boost.
This would also explain the soot (it shouldn't be oil) all over the firewall, that is being sprayed from the exhaust manifold when the engine is running.
This could be a VERY easy fix if you are willing to just block the EGR entirely. The bottom dome of a beer or soda can is the same shape as the flange on the exhaust manifold. Unbolt the clamp from the exhaust end and separate the metal hose from the flange. It may be easier to also unbolt the EGR end of the pipe, but there is a clip on the back of the cylinder head that will make complete removal of the pipe difficult. You will want to cut the aluminum can bottom so that it fits just inside the rim of the tube, then reassemble everything. If you can seal the flange with some red RTV silicone sealant (high temp) that will help.

This WILL cause an "insufficient EGR flow" check engine light, but shouldn't cause any other issues at all. A tune from Green Diesel Engineering can be used to eliminate the EGR code from the computer and that light will then go away.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:11 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi All

Thank you all for the advise , Im going to go thru each post suggestion one by one and Im sure Ill find the fault . Im first going to to check the filter , I just got the car from WEBUY cars with no service history like a fool should have serviced it the day of purchase , will let you all know .Im in Edenvale and they predicting rain so perfect day to get dirty :BANANA: :o

Hi Ludi

I just took the the actual part that looks like a throttle body off and checked that , the manifold bolts were a nightmare after that I wast sure where else to look , the cooler is totally filthily on the out side so tomorrow thats my next mission .

Hi Billybob

I think checking the CAC hoses must be done aswell because the previous owner has wrapped the pip in a cloth type tape .Diesel could also be a problem because Ive run it to nearly empty for the first time..

Hi Geordi

Im going to block the EGR because I cant get the dam things to seal properly . :furious: