It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: glow plugs
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

My question is: can one exchange the original 5 volt plugs for 7 volt without any other modifications to the electric relay or computer program?
Alex

Post subject: Re: glow plugs
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:37 pm 
LOST Addict

Yes, you can replace all four 7v plugs with four new 5v plugs.
No other mods necessary.
I’ve done it and so have many others here.
Will give you improved cold weather starting.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:25 pm 

Alexporze wrote:
My question is: can one exchange the original 5 volt plugs for 7 volt without any other modifications to the electric relay or computer program?
Alex

Absolutely. Installed Bosch 5V glow plugs before Winter hit and am extremely glad that I did - as stated earlier, the cold-weather starting is much improved.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:05 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Alexporze wrote:
Alex

The original plugs are 7V Ceramic, not 5V
Removing the 7V ceramic saves you the risk of them breaking in the combustion chamber and damaging the engine.
Replacing the 7V ceramic with 5V steel and no other changes, additionally suffers a minimal loss of cold weather cold start performance. If you change the tune to 5V programming cold starts can suffer pretty badly if you live in a cold climate.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the answer, if fact, there is a poster stuck on the front of the engine block that says " 7 volt ceramic plugs installed" , so I will change them to steel 7 volts plugs.
There is a doubt in me, as to where exactly they are located on the engine block. On top? on the side? If you can post a photo it would help. Mine is a 2006 Liberty CRD with the italian engine.
Alex

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:45 pm 
LOST Member

The glow plugs are on the driver's side of the engine. They lie horizontally and the tips point toward the tips of the injectors which are vertical.

Ditch the 7 volt ceramic glow plugs and install 5 volt metal glow plugs.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:01 pm 

Alexporze wrote:
Thanks for the answer, if fact, there is a poster stuck on the front of the engine block that says " 7 volt ceramic plugs installed" , so I will change them to steel 7 volts plugs.
There is a doubt in me, as to where exactly they are located on the engine block. On top? on the side? If you can post a photo it would help. Mine is a 2006 Liberty CRD with the italian engine.
Alex

The recommendation now is to replace the 7v ceramic GP's with the 5v glow plugs. Much better startups in very cold temperatures.
IDParts and some others sale the 5v replacements.

As to location, this picture shows two of them. They are located on the drivers side of the cylinder head in a hard to see area. (Arrows in picture below)
No. 3 requires the FCV & intake elbow to be removed for better access to allow you to change them out.
Soak them good in a good penetrating oil like PB blaster or Kroil Oil. Engine cold and block heater plugged in may also help.
Be gentle with them, some have broke one off when trying to remove which in most cases will require the head to be removed to get a broken one out.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:39 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
The recommendation now is to replace the 7v ceramic GP's with the 5v glow plugs. Much better startups in very cold temperatures.
The 5V steel plugs do not have better starting performance than the original 7V ceramics. This is speaking from personal experience along with feedback from others.

2011 VW Routan - Wish it had a CRD!
2011 Dodge Durango - HEMI, 4WD, Factory Tow Hook & Skid Plates

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:41 am 
LOST Member

fool4wheelin wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:
The 5V steel plugs do not have better starting performance than the original 7V ceramics. This is speaking from personal experience along with feedback from others.

True. And DO NOT buy the Etechno brand. They suck. Don't ask me how I know.

Last edited by DieselJeepLuvr on Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:16 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Just to clarify:
The problem with the ceramics isn't with start performance, it's with their tendency to fracture tips which can take out pistons, heads, valves, etc.

The 5V steel replacements DON'T work better than the ceramics. They DO work better than 7v steel when run with 7v OEM tuning. I understand GDE and Yeti have modified tuning that also gets increased starting performance specific for the 5V plugs.

7V ETECNO1 really sucked IMO. My 5V ETECNO1s are over 2 years now with not 1 problem down to -15F

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:32 pm 
LOST Member

GordnadoCRD wrote:
Just to clarify:
The problem with the ceramics isn't with start performance, it's with their tendency to fracture tips which can take out pistons, heads, valves, etc.

The 5V steel replacements DON'T work better than the ceramics. They DO work better than 7v steel when run with 7v OEM tuning. I understand GDE and Yeti have modified tuning that also gets increased starting performance specific for the 5V plugs.

7V ETECNO1 really sucked IMO. My 5V ETECNO1s are over 2 years now with not 1 problem down to -15F

Just checked my order and it was the 7v Etecno's I installed. Yes they suck and will be replaced with the 5v Bosch.