It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New Transmission Options
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:52 am 
LOST Member

I have no experience with any serious fording, but you may want to make sure it wont damage your electric or mechanical radiator fans.

Facet Fuel Pump, Secondary Fuel Filter
ARPs, 188 Degree Thermostat
GDE Eco Tune Full Torque
OME 1.5", JBA A-Arms and Top Plates
245/75/16s, Spidertrax

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well new transmission is in.... But we have an issue... With stock tune I can get it to stutter in lockup at about 55mph to 65mph... Also I can feel a good bit of extra vibration when in lockup... How much extra vibration should I expect in lockup? Either way I am calling street smart in the AM about this... Wonder if I can get them to just send me the TC from a 1500 they build the same trans for... Kind of irritated that they promised that the TC would be the right one and would not stutter...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:02 am 

sportsbud wrote:
Well new transmission is in.... But we have an issue... With stock tune I can get it to stutter in lockup at about 55mph to 65mph... Also I can feel a good bit of extra vibration when in lockup... How much extra vibration should I expect in lockup? Either way I am calling street smart in the AM about this... Wonder if I can get them to just send me the TC from a 1500 they build the same trans for... Kind of irritated that they promised that the TC would be the right one and would not stutter...

That's to bad, some of us tried to inform you about torque converters in these vehicles.
There should be NO vibration when in lockup. If there is, something is out of balance.

Don't feel to bad, I went through buying three TC's plus R&R expenses in my Dodge Cummings before I bit the bullet and bought the expensive SunCoast (2k). Had I bought the SunCoast TC the first time, I could have saved a lot of money. I learned...so when it came time to replace the TC in my Jeep CRD, I went straight for the SunCoast TC not wanting to make the same mistakes again.
Sometimes, trying to save money ends up costing more in the long run.... :juggle:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:27 am 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
sportsbud wrote:

That's to bad, some of us tried to inform you about torque converters in these vehicles.
There should be NO vibration when in lockup. If there is, something is out of balance.

Don't feel to bad, I went through buying three TC's plus R&R expenses in my Dodge Cummings before I bit the bullet and bought the expensive SunCoast (2k). Had I bought the SunCoast TC the first time, I could have saved a lot of money. I learned...so when it came time to replace the TC in my Jeep CRD, I went straight for the SunCoast TC not wanting to make the same mistakes again.
Sometimes, trying to save money ends up costing more in the long run.... :juggle:

What I'm more irritated about is the fact that they promised in no uncertain terms that there would be no issues.... What I'm actually thinking happened is someone in their packaging department tossed the TC for the Gasser in there as there is another member of this forum who posted about getting one from them and no lockup issues... The whole transmission needed to be done anyway but I just hope they will own up to their mess up...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:05 pm 

sportsbud wrote:
What I'm more irritated about is the fact that they promised in no uncertain terms that there would be no issues.... What I'm actually thinking happened is someone in their packaging department tossed the TC for the Gasser in there as there is another member of this forum who posted about getting one from them and no lockup issues... The whole transmission needed to be done anyway but I just hope they will own up to their mess up...

Had similar thing happen with the second TC I bought for my Dodge Cummins. I purchased a TCI Automotive torque converter after talking to them by phone and them promising me oh yes; our TC will hold up to 1000 ft. lbs. of torque in lockup. Total BS, it only lasted a little over a year and started slipping and shuddering. Just long enough for the warranty period to be out which was for one year, so I was SOL. :banghead: :furious:

Good luck, hope they make it good for you.... :juggle:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

War gaming already... It may be better time wise and misc charge wise for me to tell street smart to pound sand and purchase a Florida TC 13-35lssd and with the assistance of relatives install the TC myself... Be out only an extra $600ish... That would still be a decent price on the whole affair yes it would void the warranty but I am kind of irritated with street smart... But ordered the Sonnex kit and the Transgo... I am going to try the Sonnex before going much farther...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:14 pm 

sportsbud wrote:
War gaming already... It may be better time wise and misc charge wise for me to tell street smart to pound sand and purchase a Florida TC 13-35lssd and with the assistance of relatives install the TC myself... Be out only an extra $600ish... That would still be a decent price on the whole affair yes it would void the warranty but I am kind of irritated with street smart... But ordered the Sonnex kit and the Transgo... I am going to try the Sonnex before going much farther...

Installing a Transgo or Sonnex is not going to help an out of balance issue. :banghead:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
sportsbud wrote:

Installing a Transgo or Sonnex is not going to help an out of balance issue. :banghead:

It's something I should have done already... So while I am thinking about it I am going to just do it...

Before this CRD I have owned only one vehicle an 02' Ford Ranger for 11 Years... Never had any major issues so I am learning as I go... But I have had several motorcycles and have build a TW200 from a pile of parts... That reminds me have to do my waterpump shaft and seals on my 03' BMW F650GS....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:43 pm 
LOST Addict

You absolutely have to have a snorkel setup. I would recommend the next TB etc at around 150k to 160k even though rated for 100k or 7 years would hate to have valve drop for 20% off TB kit about $100. Then go 100K after that.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden