It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CRD Not starting after driving
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

Recently started having starting issues after driving jeep for a few hours. Would start fine after sitting all day, but would not start unless I cracked the bleeder screw and pumped a few times. Air and fuel would spurt out. Changed fuel filter and drove it all day with no issues multiple starts and stops. Very hot out yesterday and it decided not to start with a trunk full of groceries. I went to do the same procedure, but this time no fuel came out at all after opening the bleeder valve and the pump head was hot. A passerby helped out (a Honda mechanic from a nearby dealer) and got it started by opening the bleed screw while I cranked it over. Will installing an in tank lift pump fix this or only mask the root cause?

227000 km, green diesel eco tune

Post subject: Re: CRD Not starting after driving
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:02 pm 

Installing an intank lift pump will cure all air in fuel problems forever.
Any leaks on the fuel system will be self evident very quickly after installing the intank pump as fuel will leak out vs air being sucked in. :wink:
Adding an intank lift pump is the second most popular mod to the Jeep CRD behind removing or deleting the EGR system.
It is also reported by many owners who had installed the lift pump that it will also make your engine run slightly smoother.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks, would it be possible to use the wiring from a 3.7 liberty? That wiring harness is pretty expensive. I've found the older threads regarding using the gas liberty wiring, but a lot of the links and photos are dead links.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:51 pm 

jvecchione wrote:
Thanks, would it be possible to use the wiring from a 3.7 liberty? That wiring harness is pretty expensive. I've found the older threads regarding using the gas liberty wiring, but a lot of the links and photos are dead links.

A gasser harrness can be used with a little modifying.
See this:> http://www.auerbach.ca/kj/lift_pump/default.html

You can also just add two additional 16ga wires to your existing harness. That is what I did way back in 2013.
The APEX wire ends are available from Mouser Electronics. > https://www.mouser.com/Connectors/Autom ... bwZ1z1414h

:wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:27 pm 
LOST Member

jvecchione wrote:

That's what I did. got the complete harness out of an 04' 3.7L gasser and transplanted 2 wires into my diesel harness. I think I might have had to extend the wires about 6" but nothing a soldering iron and heat shrink tubing couldn't fix (you have spare wires to use from the gasser harness).
Also, since the sending unit I order, the fuel gauge resistor board contacts were broken, so just swapped my original resistor board to the new sending unit and ran through the fuel range to make sure everything worked before I reinstalled into the tank.
Been running like a champ now even when I took it to MOAB this year and ran a few Badge of Honor trails. :JEEPIN:

05 CRD; Rebuilt top end w/ARP studs, EGR delete, SEGR, 3.7L HD cooling fan, Samco hoses, in tank pump, JBA coil overs & control arms, KK clevis fork, 1/2" cradle drop, 1/4" motor mount lift, WJ rear upper trilink w/WW mount, WJ lower control arms, 4:10 gear, front/rear air lockers, ARB bumper, Rock Lizard sliders/roof rack, Mod T-stat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:02 am 
LOST Newbie

I think I'm going the junkyard route. Ordering the terminals will take at least a week and I can't wait that long. They even have a CRD that I've picked from before for a prop shaft rebuild. Do you know if the pins are the same size for all the Liberty model years?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:36 am 
LOST Member

Yes they should be. Only difference was I believe in 07' they went to individual wheel speed sensors at the wheels for the ABS vs the speed sensor on top of the rear diff. But regardless the pins/connector is the same under the rear seat and at the tank end.

PS. if that CRD in the junkyard is an 05' you should at the very least grab the FCM under the battery tray. Those things are no longer available and that box can cause a lot of problems if it goes out. Good to have a spare just in case!

05 CRD; Rebuilt top end w/ARP studs, EGR delete, SEGR, 3.7L HD cooling fan, Samco hoses, in tank pump, JBA coil overs & control arms, KK clevis fork, 1/2" cradle drop, 1/4" motor mount lift, WJ rear upper trilink w/WW mount, WJ lower control arms, 4:10 gear, front/rear air lockers, ARB bumper, Rock Lizard sliders/roof rack, Mod T-stat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:57 am 

03black wrote:
Yes they should be. Only difference was I believe in 07' they went to individual wheel speed sensors at the wheels for the ABS vs the speed sensor on top of the rear diff. But regardless the pins/connector is the same under the rear seat and at the tank end.

PS. if that CRD in the junkyard is an 05' you should at the very least grab the FCM under the battery tray. Those things are no longer available and that box can cause a lot of problems if it goes out. Good to have a spare just in case!

Very Good Advice!!! :D I picked up a spare one last year and tucked it away "Just in case"!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:46 pm 

jvecchione wrote:
I think I'm going the junkyard route. Ordering the terminals will take at least a week and I can't wait that long. They even have a CRD that I've picked from before for a prop shaft rebuild. Do you know if the pins are the same size for all the Liberty model years?

The APEX terminals for 05 & 06 are the same on both ends at the connector on top of the fuel tank and the connector under the rear seat.
Not sure about other year models, but the Mopar Connection Repair Web site shows the connector 05013978AA -- MODULE-FUEL PUMP - (FUEL_TANK) 4 WAY is the same from 1997 - 2022 on all Chrysler/Jeep models on the fuel tank module. This includes KJ, JK, WK, and many others. :D
You can go to this web site and plug in the part no. 05013978AA, in the "KIT NUMBER" search block and it will show you all the different models it was used on. :wink:
MOPAR CONNECTION REPAIR KITS

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

03black wrote:

I have a 2006. Do you want me to ask if its available for you?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:07 pm 
LOST Member

jvecchione wrote:
I have a 2006. Do you want me to ask if its available for you?

It would be nice but not necessary. I took mine out, sealed up the edges/seams and the unused plug connector with nonconductive foam and RTV. But grab it in case someone else calls out for it. The CRD community is small and every chance we get to help each other out is another CRD Liberty that gets to stay on the road.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

The harness from the wrecked CRD was cut already. Will I have enough male and female terminal pins to add to my existing harness to connect the lift pump? Image

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:53 pm 
LOST Member

From the looks of it...yes. you will have to de-pin 2 female contacts and 2 male contacts from those connectors (your going to make 2 wire segments).
Then measure a length of wire that is the length of your existing harness and splice 1 female to 1 male contact and then pin it into your existing harness....rinse and repeat for 2nd wire.

Soldering and heat shrink tubing will be the best connection, then wrap the splice with electrical tape, then install into the split wire loom.
To get the contacts out, slide, pry, lift the "green lock" out from the face of the connector (it will not come off/out) and using a small flat head jewelers screw driver or something thin and flat (I made mine from a small cotter pin ground down) push into the face of the pin (not where contact slides into but rather the edge) and the pull the wire out from the back of the connector. Takes a bit of finesse but you'll get it. Be careful not to bend or break the metal tab on the connector as that is what locks it into the plastic receptacle.

Should be about an 1hr of work depending on your wiring skill level.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well I'm still waiting for the lift pump from sasquatch parts so I have been avoiding driving the jeep. I had to drive my kids to school and it started after sitting for a couple weeks. When I accelerated the abs, esp and traction control lights flashed on and off and it went into limp mode. I barely made it home. I did have the fuel filter head heater unplugged and capped to see if i had a leak and forgot to plug it back in. Could this be a related issue?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:11 am 
LOST Newbie

darn, this was a lot of work. I'm wishing I would have cut an access panel. Anyway, I had to cut these fuel lines, i just could not get them to release. Can I just use rubber fuel line?Image

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:31 pm 
LOST Member

Should be no problem. I replaced my hoses with rubber since my fittings leaked air. Runs so much better without air in the fuel, and was way easier than either an airdog/fass type of fix or the in-tank pump.

2005 Liberty Limited CRD; Air Filter Monitor; Samco Hoses; GDE HOT Tune; RL037142AA TC; KJ Interior Rack from All J Products; JBA Adjust-a-strut lift and A-Arms; 245/75R16 Firestone Destination ATs on Moabs; ARB Bumper; ASFIR Skids; FS-2500 Bypass Filter; ARP studs.
2016 Grand Cherokee Overland CRD.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

I completed the lift pump install nearly a month ago and everything has been great. However this morning it refuses to start. I let the pump do its thing and I cracked the bleeder valve to verify if fuel was coming out. I want to try bleeding the injectors one by one. I didn't do that when I finished with the pump. What is the procedure for doing this? And thanks for all the help with the pump.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:20 am 
LOST Member

jvecchione wrote:
I completed the lift pump install nearly a month ago and everything has been great. However this morning it refuses to start. I let the pump do its thing and I cracked the bleeder valve to verify if fuel was coming out. I want to try bleeding the injectors one by one. I didn't do that when I finished with the pump. What is the procedure for doing this? And thanks for all the help with the pump.

I dont know of a procedure for bleeding the high pressure system other than leaving it fully assembled and just cranking on the starter/running it. There's very high pressure in there so I would be very sure of any procedure before attempting.

Facet Fuel Pump, Secondary Fuel Filter
ARPs, 188 Degree Thermostat
GDE Eco Tune Full Torque
OME 1.5", JBA A-Arms and Top Plates
245/75/16s, Spidertrax

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:56 am 
LOST Newbie

I did get it started, but I had to open the bleeder valve while cranking as I did before installing the lift pump. I can hear the pump running, but air bubbles did come out from the tubing i had on the nipple and it has gotten a little cold out.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:34 pm 
LOST Member

Odd that opening the bleeder screw while cranking helps it start. Seems to me that would give the cp3 pump an opportunity to suck a little air into the rail. It's not hurting anything long term though, since I'm pretty sure the high pressure system is able to efficiently clear out all of the air.

Facet Fuel Pump, Secondary Fuel Filter
ARPs, 188 Degree Thermostat
GDE Eco Tune Full Torque
OME 1.5", JBA A-Arms and Top Plates
245/75/16s, Spidertrax