It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: CRD Injectors cleaning?
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 8:43 pm 
LOST Junkie

Explain it to Keith you jacka$$. You tell me to ask him, I tell you what he did tell me, in person, when I was at his shop, and then you tell me you don't have the crayon to explain it to me lol.

You have no idea what I do on a professional level.

And 600hp is not that much hp to be bragging about out of a diesel spinning 4,000+rpms. Hell Im at 650 on stock bottom end lbz. Try a c15 putting almost 1,300hp to the ground at 1,700rpms, with custom built compounds I designed and built making 76psi, with drive pressure 1:1 with boost.

05 Liberty Limited CRD, converted to KPA 2863 ball bearing and billet turbo, 50hp injectorsl, complete egr delete, cooling fan delete, weeks intake kit, cummins in tank lift pump, ARP studs, 3" turbo back exhaust, samcos, etecno plugs, GDE trans tune, custom GDE engine tune.

Post subject: CRD Injectors cleaning?
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 10:31 pm 
LOST Member

diesel_guy86 wrote:
Explain it to Keith you jacka$$. You tell me to ask him, I tell you what he did tell me, in person, when I was at his shop, and then you tell me you don't have the crayon to explain it to me lol.

You have no idea what I do on a professional level.

And 600hp is not that much hp to be bragging about out of a diesel spinning 4,000+rpms. Hell Im at 650 on stock bottom end lbz. Try a c15 putting almost 1,300hp to the ground at 1,700rpms, with custom built compounds I designed and built making 76psi, with drive pressure 1:1 with boost.
The 600hp won trophies because it was stock injectors and stock turbo and stock injection pump on an 08 6.7… and your lbz is stock class too… nope, I did many other builds over the years but any other class is just a matter of who throws the most money at it, the stock class makes it a challenge

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 1:56 pm 
LOST Member

diesel_guy86 wrote:
My66dodge wrote:
diesel_guy86 wrote:
While you're reading up, research why 15w40 is reccomended in these engines overseas, and why it was switched to 0w/5w here...
I would reach out to Keith if I were you, I just checked again and yep overseas they used the 5w40 not the 15w40 plus Keith said the same thing so I’d like to see your info. The difference between 15w40 and 5w40 is the 5w40 flows much better if we are just comparing oil weights but it goes deeper than that

This is DIRECT from a European website for Europe’s largest oil mfgs i logged on from Great Britain and the only thing that comes up is 5w40 on ALL of them

https://www.liqui-moly.com/en/gb/servic ... 7951e7d2e/

https://www.motul.com/gb/en/lubricants/ ... 908480140c

https://www.castrol.com/en_gb/united-ki ... ent=engine

https://valvoline-eu.lubricantadvisor.c ... 01294e82e0

Keith is the one who originally told me they used 15 weight, also is the one who told me that 5w is not capable of keeping the soot in suspension, and is what wipes them out. I live hour and a half from Keith, I drove to his shop to custom tune my 270hp crd and is when he told me all this. Along with a bunch of other neat history/ info on this engine.

Turbos do not like thin oil, they prefer thicker oil, and I've rebuilt enough of these crd turbos to tell you 5w is not doing these any favors. Mainly the thrust washer gets ate up and the turbo is then toast.

Manufacturers don't spec oil Bernstein it's the best for that engine, it means it's the best compromise. Fuel economy, emissions, towing, all contribute to picking the oil. In this case Chrysler picked the 0w/5w for better fuel economy, per Keith's words. Run the 15w, sacrifice some economy and give your engine the life it deserves.

Oil WEIGHT is proportional to volume for the same density, I think you are trying to refer to oil GRADE !

Once the engine is at operating temp you need to look at the second number: 40
5w40 is not thinner than 15w40 at operating temp. At 65f it's a different story, even at room temp you can tell. probably why most people think it' thicker !

The difference between 5w40 and 15w40 is on cold start. 5w40 is more suitable for winter.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 7:57 am 
LOST Junkie

My66dodge wrote:
It’s not worth the time or crayons to try to explain it to you… you don’t do this on a professional level and this back and forth is a waste of my Saturday. You are going to think what you want, both oils have the same 40w at operating temp and we ran 5w40 in the 600hp Cummins we use to use for Dyno competitions for years… but I get it most people don’t know oil that well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

600hp.....that’s cute. Any common rail with a tune can get there, so winning trophies is almost laughable

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 8:26 am 
LOST Junkie

So Chrysler screwed up..

Head bolts/ torque
No lift pump
Thermostat
Fuel filter head
Engine oil dipstick
Transmission dipstick
And more....

But they totally got it right on the oil...

05 Liberty Limited CRD, converted to KPA 2863 ball bearing and billet turbo, 50hp injectorsl, complete egr delete, cooling fan delete, weeks intake kit, cummins in tank lift pump, ARP studs, 3" turbo back exhaust, samcos, etecno plugs, GDE trans tune, custom GDE engine tune.

Post subject: CRD Injectors cleaning?
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 8:58 am 
LOST Member

jws84_02 wrote:
My66dodge wrote:
It’s not worth the time or crayons to try to explain it to you… you don’t do this on a professional level and this back and forth is a waste of my Saturday. You are going to think what you want, both oils have the same 40w at operating temp and we ran 5w40 in the 600hp Cummins we use to use for Dyno competitions for years… but I get it most people don’t know oil that well

600hp.....that’s cute. Any common rail with a tune can get there, so winning trophies is almost laughable
So little you know… that’s whp on a truck with stock 270, so more than double… let’s see… second place is rarely over 500… rarely can you get more than 400-450 with just a tune and even then that’s about the limit

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 9:40 am 
LOST Junkie

My66dodge wrote:
jws84_02 wrote:
My66dodge wrote:

So little you know… that’s whp on a truck with stock 270, so more than double… let’s see… second place is rarely over 500… rarely can you get more than 400-450 with just a tune and even then that’s about the limit

I am talking chassis dyno. Come to the Midwest with those weak booty numbers and you are middle of the pack. Sorry to hurt your feelings

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 3:13 am 
LOST Addict

Gentlemen, (and any ladies who are following along):

I am following this with interest as there is a lot to discuss about engine oils.... Hopefully I can quell some of the heated rhetoric that is going on here.

The low flow capability advantage of 5W-40 over 15W-40 is not in dispute; all other factors being the same. I also know and have associated with an independent long-term Amsoil dealer for over 30 years who also happens to be a chemical engineer specializing in lubricants. He tells me that additive packages in engine oils are VERY important, especially for modern diesel engines that have pollution control systems on them.

However, the devil is in the details here, and the following are some things to consider....

1) ... In the case of modern diesel engines, I am referring to the R428 in the Liberty CRD that requires engine oils to meet Daimler Chrysler Material Standard MS-10725 specifications and General Motor’s version of the A428 as the Baby Duramax that requires engine oils to meet Dexos 2 specifications. Posting about completely different engines that are radically modified for competition serves to confuse the issue as most LOSTJEEPS.com forum members have not modified their engines so radically. We just want to know how to maintain our stock or mildly modified CRD engines as long as possible. Different engines - even if they use the same fuel - being used in extreme conditions would of course require different lubrication specifications; those specifications will have absolutely no bearing, (pardon the pun), on what would be correct for a stock or lightly modified CRD engine. I therefore think it would be best to stick to the engine oil requirements of stock or almost stock CRD engines only.

2) ... Lubricity, cold temperature flow and film strength are indicated by the numbers; 5W-30, 10W-40, 20W-50; 15W-40, 0W-20, etc., etc. However, I have seen testing performed on engines oils with the same weight ratings and have seen markedly different outcomes in lubricity and the ability of the oil to protect an engine. I have therefore concluded that there are definitely other factors to consider other than the weight ratings in regards to engine oil's ability to lubricate properly and protect an engine. It therefore stands to reason that a top quality 15W-40 may indeed be fairly close to a value priced 5W-40 in a cold flow rating.

Do the engine oils being considered for any given application use viscosity index improvers? V.I. improvers are long chain molecules that make a single weight oil act like multi-weight oil and they tend to break down while the oil is being used in the engine. A 5W-50 oil with V.I. improvers will eventually have the characteristics of a 15W-30 or worse. Quality synthetic oil will not have V.I. improvers because the characteristics of the base stock already acts like multi weight oil.

3) … Are all of these special additives in MS-10725 and Dexos 2 oils required for engines that have been stripped of their pollution control systems? Perhaps only some of these additives are required, or perhaps none of them are required. What about engines that have only SOME of the pollution control systems removed? These are questions that must be answered in order to draw the proper conclusions.

The above observations are significant because if the special additive packages in O.E. spec engine oil are no longer required, the owner should be able to opt for a more suitable oil from the more common weight ratings of engine oil that tend to have greater availability, variety and quality. This applies to both gasoline engine oil and diesel engine oil; a 5W-30, (gasoline engines), or a 15W-40, (diesel engines), are going to have far more choices available than the choices of a 0W-20 or a 5W-50. This may be of particular interest for CRD owners who no longer have pollution control systems on their competition/race engine. I mention this because all of our CRD engines that have the pollution control systems removed are for competition and racing purposes ONLY. We on LOSTJEEPS.COM are a group of good law abiding people who have a DEEP RESPECT for the environmental Protection Agency would NEVER remove or modify pollution control systems from road-going vehicles; right fellow members?

4) ... diesel_guy86 has a competition level engine that generates a huge amount more power than the stock tuned engine. In fact, this is an example of an engine that would indeed require ARP head studs because the ability of the engine to hold itself together using premium quality fasteners outweighs all other factors and concerns. Torque-to-yield bolts are required in all other circumstances due to the need to address the thermal expansion differences between the aluminum cylinder head and the iron block. You have a situation where - normally - TTY bolts are required for this engine, but in all likelihood they would not hold up to the forces at play when the engine is putting out almost twice the amount of power, so ARP head studs are required.

The same type of exceptions may indeed be required regarding engine oil specifications for diesel_guy86's CRD engine. Similar to the use of ARP head studs, you have this same engine perhaps requiring different oil because of the exceptional conditions it is under. Remember that diesel_guy86's engine will not last as long as a stock engine and that the benefits required by using recommended TTY bolts or engine oil for long engine life will never be seen in an engine that gets rebuilt more often.

5) ... There seems to be some differences in opinion between diesel_guy86 and My66dodge regarding what Keith Cavallini of Green Diesel Engineering said about recommended oil for the Liberty CRD engine. I think it is very important that we find out for sure if it was discovered in Europe that the R428 engines run better with 15W-40 oil and if the 15W-40 oil is better at suspending soot in the oil. If the additive packages in the recommended 0W-40 and 5W40 oils are no longer required because pollution control has been removed from our competition engines, then perhaps it is indeed better to run 15W-40 oil. There are also other solutions to using heavier oil in winter if cold start issues are a concern; diesel fuelled engine coolant heaters would be my go-to solution for this.

For the record, Mr. Cavallini was actually employed by V.M. Motori to develop software for the R428…. He is going to know more about this exact engine than all of us combined and he may have inside information that we cannot access ourselves.

I am taking an interest in this topic because I am having similar problems with oil selection in the family’s 2017 Colorado diesel. Some of the very limited choices being offered locally for Dexos 2 oil do not even have an API diesel designation…. What is up with that?

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 10:05 am 
LOST Newbie

Glad that you guys had a chance to have a nice talk about oil! As for the injectors I decided to put chem into the fuel tank. Wasn’t experiencing anything bad earlier and had no big expectations, but must say I’m really impressed! The motor run much smoother now, and also got rid of black smoke that occured when I put the pedal to the floor. Didn’t do anything else than this Liqui Moly to the car lately. All best for you!