It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remote Lock Intermittently Working (Suspect it's a Short)
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 11:23 am 
LOST Newbie

So, this has been going on for a while since I got the Jeep. Recently I had the dealership check and replace the body control module and the skreem module. Those solutions did not fix the issue at had. So they decided to look at the wiring, whatever they did it seemed to work.. until the ignition switch broke. When I replaced the ignition switch, the issue came back. Here are some observations of the issue.

[list=]
[*] When the steering wheel level hight adjustment lever is lowered the remote magically works
[*] When the car cools off, the remote unlock no-longer works.
[/list]

Extra observations
The dealership told me that it looked like someone was messing around with the wires in the vehicle. I suspect that the previous owner did something to disable the "low tire pressure" warning light for the chrome wheels (Got rid of those in favor of some nice factory rims!)

Post subject: Re: Remote Lock Intermittently Working (Suspect it's a Short
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 2:55 am 
LOST Member

The 2005 CRD is the only KJ that has an FCM module fitted.

This is a box about the size of a small pack of cigaretes inside the engine bay near the battery.

It has one electrical connector on it which is exposed to the elements somewhat so a good cleaning of the contacts may help.

This FCM module basically controls the various Serial Busses floating around....the Service Manual states that there are no drivers inside the FCM but I have seen a picture of an opened FCM and it has plenty of Transistors and Module inside it!

These FCM modules are difficult to get hold of apparently....most Breaker Yards have run out of them!

This FCM module is known to cause problems that are only fixed by replacing it but you need to first trace/replace the wiring around your steering wheel seeing as the problem occurs when you adjust the wheel height! :shock:

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:28 am 
LOST Newbie

Yah, that's the weird part. I cannot find anything out of the ordinary around the wiring with the steering wheel. Thanks for the tip on the FCM module. I'll have to give that a shot on Monday. Not with my Jeep ATM :(.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:56 am 
LOST Newbie

Hey guys, giving an update. So it appears to have been the ignition switch issue. Makes no sense, but I'll take the win. The remote unlock issue is no longer present.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk