It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crank, no start P0093 P0101
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:50 am 
LOST Newbie

http://colorado4wheel.com/images/misc/noobguide.jpg

Ok so I’ve read the noob guide among some older posts. Hoping that maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

So I went to leave the house early Monday morning (about 20 degrees). She had sat all weekend but was plugged in and she started fine (although maybe a crank or two longer than usual for being plugged in all night). Ran for about 10 seconds then died and will not start back up. Crank, no fire. Throwed the P0093 and P0101 immediately. I’ve been leaning toward Crank sensor so I ordered one but have been having a hard time removing the old one (may have stripped the screw). I also went ahead and replaced the MAP sensor but no change. Am I on the right track? Really hoping it wasn’t the timing belt. Hopefully tomorrow I will get that crank sensor installed and try it. I also have a new fuel filter to try last but the one on there primes correctly with no visible leak and is less than 20k old

Update: Replaced crank sensor, MAP sensor, and fuel filter. Fuel housing builds pressure when primed. Pulled the cover back and timing belt appears to be ok. Cleared the codes and they have not reappeared when cranking. Going to try camshaft sensor next. Any suggestions?!

Post subject: Re: Crank, no start P0093 P0101
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:22 am 

wazmer07 wrote:
http://colorado4wheel.com/images/misc/noobguide.jpg

Ok so I’ve read the noob guide among some older posts. Hoping that maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

So I went to leave the house early Monday morning (about 20 degrees). She had sat all weekend but was plugged in and she started fine (although maybe a crank or two longer than usual for being plugged in all night). Ran for about 10 seconds then died and will not start back up. Crank, no fire. Throwed the P0093 and P0101 immediately. I’ve been leaning toward Crank sensor so I ordered one but have been having a hard time removing the old one (may have stripped the screw). I also went ahead and replaced the MAP sensor but no change. Am I on the right track? Really hoping it wasn’t the timing belt. Hopefully tomorrow I will get that crank sensor installed and try it. I also have a new fuel filter to try last but the one on there primes correctly with no visible leak and is less than 20k old

Update: Replaced crank sensor, MAP sensor, and fuel filter. Fuel housing builds pressure when primed. Pulled the cover back and timing belt appears to be ok. Cleared the codes and they have not reappeared when cranking. Going to try camshaft sensor next. Any suggestions?!

Have you checked all the fuses in the Power Distribution Center (TIPM) under the hood?
Is the ASD relay energizing when you switch the ign. switch (key) to the ON position? Try swapping the ASD relay out with another relay of the same size.
If the engine will not start when it spins over just fine, you have got to determine if the problem is electrical or fuel related. Either one can prevent the injectors from firing.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

Since it was cranking just fine I had not considered electrical. I will check fuses tonight, thanks.
Odd that it started and idled for a few sec before dying, made me think fuel but I suppose anything is possible.
Also it did quit on me once while driving several months ago but started back up as soon as I stopped and was fine until now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:53 pm 

Your last sentence is a classic symptom of a bad crankshaft sensor. But you have already replaced it so that rules it out.
What you need to determine is why the injectors are not injecting fuel, is it because of low fuel rail pressure or is it due to ECM not sending a signal (electrical) to the injectors to operate.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

I tried swapping relays around with no change. Had one 40amp fan fuse that was blown so I swapped it with the windows fuse. Also replaced the cam sensor.
I cannot get any codes now since I’ve erased them. I even unplugged the MAF sensor and cranked but the P0101 did not reappear.
I’m running out of ideas. How can I test the fuel pump? I can build pressure when priming but it doesn’t hold after cranking and I get no fire at all

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:36 am 
LOST Member

Have you found the problem with your Jeep yet?

What year model is it?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:49 pm 
LOST Junkie

did you check the fuel rail pressure when cranking most likely you losing fuel pressure somewhere

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have not found the problem yet.
It is a 2006 Liberty CRD
I have replaced:
Crank sensor
Cam sensor
MAP sensor
Fuel filter housing

Checked fuel lines and no obvious damage or leak

I am going to try testing the new crank sensor next, not sure what else to do. Has anyone found them bad out of the box? Ordered it from ID Parts

Recently I was reading no rpm or fuel pressure when cranking
Thinking there must be an electrical failure somewhere, just odd that it died after idling 10 sec or so when I encountered the problem

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:13 pm 
LOST Junkie

You need to remove the hose off the fitting at the back end of the fuel rail. Crank over & see if fuel comes out of the fitting. If it does, you have a bad pressure solenoid, the thing that is screwed into the end of the rail. I have the same problem & are waiting for a new solenoid to arrive. Previously, I replaced most, even the CP3, with no real improvement. You can measure the output of the fuel rail sensor. It should be over 1v when cranking. Low output signal will set the large fuel leak code.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:39 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks I was going to look into that next. Haven’t had a lot of time to mess with it lately.

I would post a photo but can’t seem to figure that out.

I was reading 0.5V fuel pressure voltage when cranking and 58.6mm^3/cyc injection quantity.

I have an Autel scanner so any advice on how to use it to troubleshoot would help greatly.

Is resistance test on the crank sensor acceptable? I tried to ohm the old one since it was easy to get to but could not get a reading.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:42 pm 

wazmer07 wrote:
I would post a photo but can’t seem to figure that out.

See this:> viewtopic.php?p=952299#p952299

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks, just a bit too complex. Wonder why we can’t just upload an image

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:39 pm 

wazmer07 wrote:
Thanks, just a bit too complex. Wonder why we can’t just upload an image

It is not that hard!
Due to server storage limitations most likely. Pictures tend to require a lot of space and storage space on servers cost lots of money!
Most all online forums have the same restrictions when posting pictures....

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

layback40 wrote:
You need to remove the hose off the fitting at the back end of the fuel rail. Crank over & see if fuel comes out of the fitting. If it does, you have a bad pressure solenoid, the thing that is screwed into the end of the rail. I have the same problem & are waiting for a new solenoid to arrive. Previously, I replaced most, even the CP3, with no real improvement. You can measure the output of the fuel rail sensor. It should be over 1v when cranking. Low output signal will set the large fuel leak code.

I did that and I do have fuel to the rail when cranking. That solenoid seems a bit expensive, I’d like to be sure that’s the problem. Would I not have gotten another code if that were bad?
Like I said, I was only getting 0.5v when cranking from the sensor so I will probably get one in order. What brand would you recommend? There’s quite a price difference from what I’ve seen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:38 am 
LOST Member

A bit of a wild shot but worth a try when your Jeep is Dead!

The 2006 LHD CRD has a known problem whereby the main engine harness goes behind the fuel filter mounting bracket and can get damaged by the bracket.

You need to remove this bracket and inspect the harness for damage ie. shorts to chassis or shorts between various wires.

Apparently in 2006 they moved this mounting bracket slightly to make some space for the ABS Module I think, a lot of errors have been fixed by Owners of these models by insulating the damaged wires! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:14 am 
LOST Junkie

wazmer07 wrote:

I did that and I do have fuel to the rail when cranking. That solenoid seems a bit expensive, I’d like to be sure that’s the problem. Would I not have gotten another code if that were bad?
Like I said, I was only getting 0.5v when cranking from the sensor so I will probably get one in order. What brand would you recommend? There’s quite a price difference from what I’ve seen

I am getting a Bosch one. Should have it in under 2 weeks.
You need to do the test of cranking with the overflow tube off. At cranking, there should be no flow out of that pipe fitting. When I did it, there was a good flow & the sensor voltage did not increase during cranking.
I removed the solenoid and covered the end with a few layers of aluminum foil & then wrapped with some very fine stainless-steel wire to keep the foil on & tight. When I re-installed & cranked, the voltage went up to over 1.5v quickly & no fuel flowed out the overflow pipe. Gave me a surprise, so I stopped cranking. I am going to crank it again & see if it starts. Provided the voltage stays below 4.5v all should be safe.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:25 am 
LOST Newbie

Well I got the Bosch fuel pressure solenoid and installed it. No change to my symptoms. I will get the scanner on it and crank again soon. Based on the original codes, I am thinking maybe there must be air getting into the system and I just can’t find it. I should’ve replaced the fuel pressure sensor as well, that maybe the only one I’ve yet to replace on the engine.

I also did a quick look but didn’t notice anything behind the fuel filter mounting bracket. Starting to get frustrated with the whole thing.

When cranking, it does make an odd sound about every second as if maybe it wants to fire but won’t. Not sure if that means anything. Having to wait a week to get the next part to try is really getting old as well

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:26 am 
LOST Junkie

wazmer07 wrote:
Well I got the Bosch fuel pressure solenoid and installed it. No change to my symptoms. I will get the scanner on it and crank again soon. Based on the original codes, I am thinking maybe there must be air getting into the system and I just can’t find it. I should’ve replaced the fuel pressure sensor as well, that maybe the only one I’ve yet to replace on the engine.

I also did a quick look but didn’t notice anything behind the fuel filter mounting bracket. Starting to get frustrated with the whole thing.

When cranking, it does make an odd sound about every second as if maybe it wants to fire but won’t. Not sure if that means anything. Having to wait a week to get the next part to try is really getting old as well

I feel your pain.
I went as far as to replace the CP3 !
Got some great advice from ww , tested that the injectors were getting a signal, checked the pressure sensor output signal while cranking, it changed a little, but stayed at about the no crank value. Took the overflow hose off the fitting at the end of the rail & cranked, fuel came out the fitting even when the power connector was removed! So, after nearly a year of issues a problem was found. I am waiting for a new solenoid to arrive. Covering the end of the solenoid with foil & tried again, got good voltage output, up to 1.5v & no overflow. I stopped cranking as I did not want to have the signal go too high.
Hope to have the new solenoid next week.
Have you tested to see if the injectors are getting a signal when cranking? I used a simple small LED light to see this.
If you have good cranking fuel pressure signal & power to the injectors, it should start. It may need some starter fluid to help the first time.
You can put clear tube between the filter & the CP3 to see if you have air in the fuel.
Good Luck !!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:55 pm 
LOST Junkie

maybe one of the injectors is dumping fuel into cylinder start unplugging one at a time or try to find used fuel lines and make a tool to cap end of the injectors and monitor fuel pressure if it wants to start stop it immediately and check if all the exhaust valves are intact,

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

rankom wrote:
maybe one of the injectors is dumping fuel into cylinder start unplugging one at a time or try to find used fuel lines and make a tool to cap end of the injectors and monitor fuel pressure if it wants to start stop it immediately and check if all the exhaust valves are intact,

I’m open to try this, but do you believe that’s in line with the symptoms? If I’m getting fuel to the rail when cranking and P0093 was the code (along with P0101), I feel like it should be narrowed down. Is it possible the fuel pressure sensor could cause this?
I was close to ordering the lift pump upgrade but $600 and if fuel is going to the rail when cranking could that still cure it? I understand it may not have enough pressure but wouldn’t you get at least some fire if there were fuel and the injectors were getting a signal?