It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Word of Caution on Power Steering Hoses
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:22 pm 
LOST Member

graycenphil wrote:
I’ve got over two years on it now, and it’s just fine. Not too many miles, but works just like the original, as far as I can tell. I still don’t understand what that setup is all about.

The purpose is to reduce "NVH" within the power steering system. The most likely occurrence being when turning the steering wheel against one of the locks at the end of the rack's travel. Have you had any opportunity to compare the moaning that occurs at the end of travel with and without the suppressor? My guess is that this noise may be somewhat reduced by the suppressor. Probably most relevant during low speed, sharp turning parking and off-road maneuvers. Not something that would be noticeable most of the time.

These types of suppressors have been around for many decades, and are constantly being incrementally modified. Sometimes they are placed on the high pressure side, others on the return side. Here is an example claiming priority to 2003 that is placed on the return line. For what it's worth.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20060201734A1/en

2005 Liberty Limited CRD; Air Filter Monitor; Samco Hoses; GDE HOT Tune; RL037142AA TC; KJ Interior Rack from All J Products; JBA Adjust-a-strut lift and A-Arms; 245/75R16 Firestone Destination ATs on Moabs; ARB Bumper; ASFIR Skids; FS-2500 Bypass Filter; ARP studs.
2016 Grand Cherokee Overland CRD.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:18 am 
LOST Member

Thanks User113. At least that explains what it is all about.

I can’t say I remember exactly how it sounded when I had the wheel turned all the way before replacing the line. But I don’t notice anything significant or objectionable now. I will fool around with it a bit and see what I hear.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:32 pm 
LOST Member

I don’t hear any unusual noise from lock to lock. When you have it all the way to the left or right, and try to turn it a little farther, it does make an unpleasant sound. Kind of like a grinding sound. I can’t say if it did this before, and it is only when you push pretty hard after getting to the lock. Maybe someone with the original setup wants to try and see if they get the noise.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:42 am 
LOST Newbie

When I run a new high pressure line from the rack to the pump do I need to pull the old lines or cap anything off????

Anyone remember what size and thread the high pressure fittings are? :furious:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:35 am 
LOST Member

I suppose you can leave the old line in place. It will probably drip for a whole, if you don’t plug it. I don’t know what size the fittings are, but you could cut the ends off once you disconnect them and bring them to a hydraulic shop.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

graycenphil wrote:
I’ve got over two years on it now, and it’s just fine. Not too many miles, but works just like the original, as far as I can tell. I still don’t understand what that setup is all about.

I know old thread just waiting to make sure still I issues and that the sound you heard going up hills was your ujoint not the ps

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:38 am 
LOST Member

Yes Greengiant, no issues at all. As far as I can tell, the power steering works just fine with a simple hose. Replaced u-joint and all is smooth.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thank you so much! It was just really wondering that because I'm in the process of replacing it now. I pulled it out yesterday. What up witch lol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:39 pm 
LOST Member

I have never seen a more difficult power steering hose, though I’m sure there is one somewhere out there. Hope you have a nice place to work.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just another question for you. The metal loops that are in the power steering hose that came out like that the bracket go on to. Did you leave those in or what? And would you have a picture of it by chance? I found a place up in where I am in Canada

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:12 pm 
LOST Member

No pics, I’m afraid. I had a shop do the work, but I believe it is just a rubber hose with two hydraulic fittings.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thank you buddy, appreciate it. I'm having a @$#% *&^^&* of a time finding out shop to do it everybody's like no we don't want to do it for liability reasons. So now I'm going to call some other shops and say it's for a @$#% tractor or something. Such a pain in my booty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:10 pm 
LOST Member

Good idea. Maybe a tractor repair place or someone who specializes in hydraulic hoses. Tell them it’s for a home built woodsplitter.