It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New shocks to market... exciting!
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:38 pm 
LOST Addict

Cool, thanks!

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:50 am 
LOST Addict

Intertesting , looks like a couple of good options .

Thanks

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just ordered a set of these adjustable front struts. Found the installation instructions here.

I went with the YJ rear shocks though, because the rear shocks for the KJ only cover up to 1" lift.

24-282642 front
24-185660 rear

What's funny is that during a search of that rear item number here, there were multiple strong opinions to leave the dust boot off! see here

I didn't see any justification for that, but I guess some people think crud accumulates in there?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:50 pm 
LOST Member

I installed the Air Lift system and LOVE it....No more bouncing around the road when loaded...

https://www.airliftcompany.com/products ... lift-1000/

Gen 2 Fuel Head
GDE Eco Tune
ARP studs
Etechno (7v) Glow Plugs
F37
Kap 193 thermostat
Carter Lift Pump (Modified wiring harness)
Fumoto (CRD-108)
Bypass oil filter (2 micron)
Samco
Provent
Sears P-1 Battery
Secondary 2 micron fuel filter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

I got around to installing these shocks. So far I like them. There were a couple wrinkles though. Because I have the OME 790 springs in the front, I had to put the shock circlip in the lowest position or the front lift would have been too high. With the circlip in the lowest position, the spring is still compressed more than with the OME shocks I took off. As it is now, I have no spacers and the front fender height has settled to 22". That's perfect for me, and as high as I want to go. If you have factory CRD coils you may want to move the circlip up a notch or two. I'm pretty sure the Bilstein guidelines on clip height vs. lift are applicable to a gas KJ.

The rear shocks being for a different application, the top had no steel center bushing to bear the clamping load of the shock bolt. It would have just squeezed the rubber until it hit the outer bushing tube and been a metal to metal fit. The top rubber would've been doing effectively nothing. It was also narrow enough that it would have distorted the mounting pocket in the jeep's body. I found a pack of Hillman steel 1.5" L spacer tubes on homedepot.com, 1/2" i.d x 5/8" o.d. that worked almost perfectly. Just needed a thick 1/2" washer on either side to fill out the space in the body mount. Same washer setup on the bottom end in the axle mount, but no extra bushing needed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:52 pm 
LOST Addict

krb wrote:
Did the Ironman lift settle any?

I don't understand how the Bilsteins work. If they provide a lift, then the OEM spring doesn't carry the load any more and it is all on the shock and mount points?

In most applications the Bilsteins have a series of grooves in them with a snap ring. The bottom spring seat rests on the snap ring. so depending on what groove you put the ring it, it will adjust the preload of the coil and give you more lift.

I have them on my F150 and there are 5 groove ranging from stock height up to +2.1" of lift.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:20 am 
LOST Member

I finally got around to purchasing some Bilstein 5900s up front. I have them set at their lowest - 1.5" lift.

I like the stance, levels the Jeep to my liking.

But I now have an irritating noise. Only noticeable at low speeds over uneven terrain (small pot holes etc). Doesn't make it going over humps or bumps that I can tell. Sounds like something is loose. Like it is "tight" but not torqued maybe.

I can't find anything that could be the culprit. Is this just the "sound" these shocks make? Anybody else running them that would know? Everything else is stock.

Thanks,

1998 XJ 4.0L, stock with 130,XXX miles

First Jeep: 1962 Willys CJ-3B

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:54 pm 

krb wrote:
I finally got around to purchasing some Bilstein 5900s up front. I have them set at their lowest - 1.5" lift.
I like the stance, levels the Jeep to my liking.
But I now have an irritating noise. Only noticeable at low speeds over uneven terrain (small pot holes etc). Doesn't make it going over humps or bumps that I can tell. Sounds like something is loose. Like it is "tight" but not torqued maybe.
I can't find anything that could be the culprit. Is this just the "sound" these shocks make? Anybody else running them that would know? Everything else is stock.
Thanks,
Several thoughts:
First did you mean 5100? Could find no listing for 5900 Bilstein Struts in their online catalog???

Second, do you have the clevis torqued properly around the strut (No. 15)? What about the top plate nut for the strut and the three mounting nuts, are they all torqued properly. (No.s 24 & 26) See drawing
Are you sure the noise is coming from the front strut area?
I have the Bilstein 4600 struts and have never had any noise issues with them.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:21 am 
LOST Member

Yes, sorry, Bilstein 5100s.

Guess I need to dig back in and recheck all the bolts/nuts. Visually it all looks good and with a bar I couldn't get any wiggles or replicate the noise. Forgot about the clevis, that's an easy check.

I'm pretty sure it's from the front. Started with the new shocks. Guess it could be coincidence or the new angle affected other components...

1998 XJ 4.0L, stock with 130,XXX miles

First Jeep: 1962 Willys CJ-3B