It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New CRD Liberty owner - couple of questions
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi All,

Spent most of this morning searching this forum, thanks for the noob guide it is a great list, just wanted to summarize what I'm thinking to make sure I'm on the right path.

I just picked up a 2006 CRD. I was very close to buying an identical one about 6 years ago so I had done a lot of research on these back then. Unfortunately it seems I'm too late to enact the key part of what I learned - "Get a GDE ECM/TCM Tune". I'm not looking for extra power or towing ability, only reliability and fuel economy. The last thing I want is to crank up the boost and cut the engine's life in half. I have been reading all the testamonials on this forum and it sounds like the engine tunes Yeti does are actually better than GDE. I live in Michigan and I was excited to see that he actually offers a cold weather option that changes how the glow plugs operate.

I have always had bad luck with blowing automatic transmissions. Even though I'm a fairly gentle driver, I always follow the manufacturer's specifications for fluid and filter intervals, procedure, and fluid type, I have had 3 factory transmissions blow in the 10 years I've been driving. Admittedly they were all on used cars so who knows how the previous owners took care of it, but I'm positive that I'm doing everything right - I probably just have bad luck. I just want to take the best care I can of this transmission and give it the best chance of lasting as long as possible.

Does Yeti do anything for the transmission? Or were the GDE trans tunes only useful with a hot tune or frequent towing? Would I be better off just installing a transgo kit and calling it a day?

Based on what I'm reading, it sounds like I don't necessarily have to replace the front pump if I'm not having problems - is it a virtual guarantee I'll eventually have pump-related problems? If so then I'd rather just replace it ASAP.

For normal daily driver usage is there a benefit to a Suncoast TC if the stock is not yet malfunctioning? Is there any reason (such as potential extra damage) that I wouldn't want to just wait until the stock TC starts picking up a shudder before replacing? I'm not trying to be cheap and I'd happily order the Suncoast now if waiting would risk extra damage.

Thanks for any help and advice. Very excited for adventures with her.

Post subject: Re: New CRD Liberty owner - couple of questions
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:42 pm 

Automatics transmissions will last a very long time if you take care of them by regular servicing i.e. changing fluid and filters.
Heat is their worst enemy, adding aftermarket coolers and / or deep sump oil pans with cooling fins along with the extra capacity of fluid will help ensure their longevity.

As to torque converters, SunCoast is the the best available, some have reported good results with Florida Torque Converters and a few have installed torque converters designated for Dodge Hemi Trucks and reported good results.
But if you up the HP and torque with a reflash as many of us have done, or tow heavy loads, you will want the bullet proof SunCoast TC.

If you remove the transmission to install a new and better torque converter, be sure and replace the front pump assembly as it has some wear items in it that can cause problems with age. Also the new replacement front pumps are an updated design. Along with a new torque converter and front pump assembly, be sure and install a TransGo Kit, it increases line pressure and helps with holding power of the torque converter lockup clutches along with improving shifts by making them a little crisper which helps to prolong band life.

As to tunes (reflash), the Yeti tunes are top notch, I personally have been running his Stage IV Hot Tune since 2014 and it "Rocks"!
To my knowledge he does not provide any transmission (TCM) tunes at this point. But you should contact him for more information. You can find him (Yeti) on this forum by using the PM or email LINKS below:
eMail:> memberlist.php?mode=email&u=42474
PM:> ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=42474

FRONT PUMP ASSEMBLY EXPLODED VIEW

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:38 pm 
LOST Junkie

In a few words -

If its not broken, dont try & fix it!
These auto trans need to have the fluid & both filters changed when its due & overfilled with fluid.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:46 pm 
LOST Member

I second WWDiesel on cooling. I have an aux cooler in front of the radiator as well as a powered fan cooler under the rear floor board area set for 180 degrees. I have a gauge with two trans temp probes (one out of the transmission and one in the pan) so I can monitor the temp.

Highly recommend the Mann oil/air separator to keep the turbo clean as well as the EGR/FCV delete to keep the intake clean. I also double filter the fuel and double filter the oil to keep every part of the engine as clean as possible. I am also running a SEGR which is probably not available any longer. Lastly, I am running a modified thermostat so I can adjust the thermostat filter as well as replace just the thermostat with a $5 part which is a great improvement over the original design (lots in the forum on this topic). Lastly, I installed head studs and removed the bolts to mitigate any head gasket issues (I know...lots of debate on the forum about this as well).

Gen 2 Fuel Head
GDE Eco Tune
ARP studs
Etechno (7v) Glow Plugs
F37
Kap 193 thermostat
Carter Lift Pump (Modified wiring harness)
Fumoto (CRD-108)
Bypass oil filter (2 micron)
Samco
Provent
Sears P-1 Battery
Secondary 2 micron fuel filter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:30 pm 
LOST Member

In tank fuel pump is the best mod IMHO, tow tune is a PITA, locks the T/C too soon, I drive with my finger on the O/D button. Now that the coolant system is holding pressure the engine is warming up a LOT faster in the cold.

#1 2006 Silver CRD Limited, flipped spare tire, ASFIR skids, GDE TCM & Ecotune, blue SAMCOs, 5V glow plugs, Rotella T6, intank fuel pump, Gen2 fuel head, new crank sensor, JBA 2.5 in silver package, Provent and ARB bumper
#2 2006 Metallic Green Limited; currently DOA
#3 2005 Silver project; currently not running...don't judge me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:29 pm 
LOST Addict

"The last thing I want is to crank up the boost and cut the engine's life in half. I have been reading all the testamonials on this forum and it sounds like the engine tunes Yeti does are actually better than GDE. I live in Michigan and I was excited to see that he actually offers a cold weather option that changes how the glow plugs operate."

The absolute best thing you can do for this engine is to warm it up before cranking it top start.

A diesel fueled engine coolant heater is far more powerful than a block heater and will get your engine up to operating temperature faster than idling it. There is a battery tray that has room for a Webasto heater underneath from Sasquatch Parts.

Another problem the CRD engine has is that it operates at a far too low operating temperature to lower NOx emissions. You need an engine thermostat upgrade.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:19 am 
LOST Member

What are all the thermostat upgrade options? I can't find anything on a "Kap 193 thermostat". I remember a fellow here that was making replacements out of aluminum but can't find any reference now. I was wanting to do this back when I had the engine apart but was already way over budget, wish I had now...

1998 XJ 4.0L, stock with 130,XXX miles

First Jeep: 1962 Willys CJ-3B

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:15 pm 

krb wrote:
What are all the thermostat upgrade options? I can't find anything on a "Kap 193 thermostat". I remember a fellow here that was making replacements out of aluminum but can't find any reference now. I was wanting to do this back when I had the engine apart but was already way over budget, wish I had now...

You can find the information and writeup on the Kap 192 thermostat here, LINK:> 192º Thermostat - Parts Diagram/dimensions

or
Simply purchase an OEM MOPAR thermostat, LINK:> IDParts sales them.
Do not waste your money on any cheap chinese or foreign made knockoffs as they don't last and sometimes are bad or fail right out of the box.

You can contact (PM or email) TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK for information on the custom thermostat, but be forewarned, there may be a very long lead time involved in getting one, and it is not cheap. :dizzy:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:17 am 
LOST Member

I went with the IDParts thermo when I did the headgasket but it's stock temp right?

Thanks for the Kap192 link, that was probably the one I was remembering.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:49 pm 

krb wrote:
I went with the IDParts thermo when I did the headgasket but it's stock temp right?

Yes, OEM thermostats are stock temperature unfortunately.
This is due to stupid EPA rules to reduce NO. :banghead: :furious: :frankie:
But it makes the engine run at less that optimal operating temperature for combustion which hurts fuel mileage and is not good for the engine. :cry:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:21 pm 
LOST Addict

krb wrote:

If you can accept an unfinished H.D.S. Model 001, I can get one to you faster.

Unfortunately, I am now my Mother's full-time caregiver, so I have very little time to actually assemble thermostats now.

Jeff.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:17 am 
LOST Member

To the OP. Unless you are REALLY good at fixing things...My suggestion would be to make sure you have excellent full coverage insurance and then have it accidentally roll off a cliff. Maybe fill the back with gas cans and have a couple lit cigarettes in the ash tray.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK wrote:
krb wrote:

Unfortunately, I am now my Mother's full-time caregiver, so I have very little time to actually assemble thermostats now.

Jeff.

Unfinished in what way? Just the literal finish of the metal, or does some machining still need to be done?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:39 am 
LOST Addict

atlantis737 wrote:
krb wrote:

Jeff.

Unfinished in what way? Just the literal finish of the metal, or does some machining still need to be done?

"UNFINISHED" is defined as the surfaces of the Model 001 thermostat not being anodized, painted or polished. The housing, the cap and the hose barb are fully machined. You can permanently assemble the parts of a Model 001 thermostat as they are when they arrive to you and then install it on your CRD engine and it will function every bit as well as a Model 001 that has fully finished surfaces. A Model 001 thermostat with raw machined housings will work just as well as one that has a polished cap and main housing, a powder coated or painted cap and main housing, or an anodized cap and main housing.

The purpose of finishing, then permanently assembling the Model 001 myself and then shipping it was to be able to offer a thermostat that is ready to install when it arrives to the customer. For the time being I am unable to offer this extra service because of family obligations. Most customers want the function and performance the Model 001 offers and are not concerned with how it looks.

Some other customers really do want to put their own signature on their Model 001. They will therefore paint, powder coat or anodize their Model 001 in a manner that suits them. My Facebook Home Page has a customer review from a fellow who hard anodized his Model 001. See the following link...

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005354959266

Most people who choose to finish their Model 001 thermostats will paint or powder coat their Model 001 thermostat parts. I therefore media blast the main housing and the cap, then I thoroughly clean them before lightly assembling them; then they get packed for shipping. Media blasting stipples the surfaces of the housing and cap, making the paint or powder coating stick better. Lightly assembling the Model 001 shows the customer where all of the parts go before he or she takes it all apart to make masking for painting or powder coating easier.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:46 am 

FYI, I can powder coat small items like Jeff's unfinished thermostats if anyone needs the service. :wink:
I powder coated an unfinished one in green to match my Sasquatch battery tray.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:09 am 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
FYI, I can powder coat small items like Jeff's unfinished thermostats if anyone needs the service. :wink:
I powder coated an unfinished one in green to match my Sasquatch battery tray.

Thank you, WWDiesel! And the powder coat job you did on your Model 001 looks GREAT!

Tell them what you think of the performance of the Model 001.... I am quite certain there are people looking at this thread and wondering if it is as good as they have heard.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:59 am 
LOST Member

Go Go Green HAS to make it perform better! Love the color, it would match my ProVent.

Yes, please share your thoughts and impression WW. I understand the need for proper temps for engine life & performance. Just need to scrape/save for the purchase. If mileage increased I could factor that in to the ROI... :-)r

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:48 am 

krb wrote:
Go Go Green HAS to make it perform better! Love the color, it would match my ProVent.
Yes, please share your thoughts and impression WW. I understand the need for proper temps for engine life & performance. Just need to scrape/save for the purchase. If mileage increased I could factor that in to the ROI... :-)r

Sent you a PM.
The thermostat works just as designed; engine does appear to maybe heat up a little quicker in very cold temperatures. Viscous heater is deleted!
But I have no hard data to prove that!
I did not see a large increase in fuel mileage, but my Jeep has always returned decent fuel mileage with the Yeti Tune so I don't monitor it very closely.
:2cents:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:27 pm 
LOST Member

Jeff.

Faster than what? I order my unfinished T-stat June of last year

1993 C3500 Chevy 6.5 Turbo Diesel
1984 C7500 Chevy Flat Bed 366 gas
1987 R25 Chevy 350 gas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:14 am 
LOST Addict

synthetic-oil wrote:

Jeff.

Faster than what? I order my unfinished T-stat June of last year

I have had family issues to deal with for the past 4 years... almost 5 now. One problem is resolved and more problems pop-up, unfortunately. There is nobody else in my family that can handle these problems but me. All of this takes away from time I can put into building thermostats.

Despite your wait time, an unfinished Model 001 is still the fastest way I can get a Model 001 to a customer. The less time I have to put in to fill an order, the quicker it gets done.

PM sent.