It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 4 broken newer rockers, one cylinder, no impacts! ???
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:50 pm 
LOST Addict

Well, I have this strange CRD I got from a lost member a few years back. It finally made its way to the front of the inventory, and it ran like one or 2 cylinders were dead. I pulled the cover to find all 4 rockers on #2 snapped. I figured failed rod bolts like I've seen before, so I pulled the head to confirm, and the cylinder looks great, so do the valves.
The only thing I can think of is that maybe they knocked off a rocker or two when they reassembled it, that maybe the pressure eventually snapped the others. Wouldn't the intake valves have tremendous pressure placed on them if the exhaust valves failed to open?

The last test I can think of is to turn it over with the head off to listen for knocking, but the carbon ring at the top of that cylinder shows me that the piston hasn't been rising too far upwards. Hmm, I'd appreciate any ideas before I go and throw the head back on with new exhaust valves (200k miles), -and cross my fingers that it's not a huge waste of time... :banghead:

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

Post subject: Re: 4 broken newer rockers, one cylinder, no impacts! ???
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:35 pm 

I am assuming you have the injectors removed since you already have the valve cover/cams removed. All the valves will stay fully shut and you could spin the crankshaft over with the starter all you want without any danger of valves hitting pistons. This way you could listen for any abnormal noises in the bottom end. Some oil will get pumped out in places, but you can clean that up.
With the injectors all removed and all valves closed, any suction or pressure made by the pistons will vent out through the injector holes. :D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:29 pm 
LOST Addict

Hmm, yeah, I was going to try that, but then I convinced myself that a piston must have slapped the valves to break the rockers, so I pulled the head. This will be my first attempt to turn one over with no head :|

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:24 am 

If you pull the head, you MUST install some hold downs to keep the piston liners from moving when you turn the engine over.
Item #2 in the drawing below. You can make some hold down clamps out of some flat stock or angle iron.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:31 am 
LOST Addict

Thanks for the reminder, I have the factory tools, but I never use them while turning them over by hand anyhow, but I sure will for cranking speed.

- one more note, that piston was putting crazy forces on the bearings with no open valves. What a gamble it would be to put the top back on...

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:24 pm 

Mountainman wrote:
Thanks for the reminder, I have the factory tools, but I never use them while turning them over by hand anyhow, but I sure will for cranking speed.
- one more note, that piston was putting crazy forces on the bearings with no open valves. What a gamble it would be to put the top back on...

Vary simple remedy, just pull the injectors or glow plugs and no pressure can build even with all valves staying closed. :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:16 pm 
LOST Junkie

Mountainman wrote:

The force would not be that great. Much less than when it fires. Unless it was hydrolocking on fuel being injected.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:32 pm 
LOST Addict

layback40 wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

The force would not be that great. Much less than when it fires. Unless it was hydrolocking on fuel being injected.

Good news. So it just pulls a vacuum? There was about 2 tablespoons of diesel in the piston bowl.
But I only ran it for a minute to pull it in the garage. Was shaking violently and barely staying running

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:41 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
There's no combustion OR pressure if there is no air exchange. Even with two broken on the same side, the air in the cylinder never changes position. The fuel is a small amount, and likely just washed into the oil. No pressure on the bearings at all.

They probably had the cams out of time when assembling.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:03 am 
LOST Addict

Thanks for the confidence! I turned it over by hand and it felt normal, but with 200k, it needed valves anyhow, so nothing lost. One more saved from the crusher! :JEEPIN:

Mech fan, VH & AC delete