It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alternatives to stock fuel filter
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:17 pm 
LOST Member

So I just installed a Baldwin BF 7919 in place of the MANN filter. Since not one of the stock filters claim a micron rating I assume it sucks. Probably 10 micron nominal. The Baldwin BF 7919 is 4 micron absolute. Only thing is you need to use the stock filters inner gasket as the Baldwin one is too large of diameter to fit in the housings insert.
I'd post pictures but... It's too much of a PITA.

Post subject: Re: Alternatives to stock fuel filter
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:02 am 
LOST Addict

I think WWDiesel has another solution for an aftermarket fuel filter.

I would be interesting to compare notes on this subject. Hopefully CRD owners will get in on this conversation.

I am running stock right now, but an upgrade to a better fuel filtration system would be nice.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:28 pm 

Adding 2 Micron *secondary fuel filter between OEM filter/water separator and CP3 Injection pump.
Protects expensive CP3 injection pump and injectors from damage from larger particles not captured by the OEM filter.
*Requires Intank Fuel Lift Pump Install!

Usable Filters:
    Baldwin BF7633
    Cat 1R-0750
    Donaldson P551313
    Fleetguard FF5320
    Wix 33528 or [Wix 33674 (9.3 in long)]
    NAPA 3528

INSTALL KIT:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:32 pm 
LOST Addict

Thank you, WWDiesel:

Anyone else have alternative fuel filtering upgrades?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:53 am 
LOST Member

I thought about doing that but that space is really tight and changing filters would suck. I'm thinking about doing a writeup on an install of a prefilter below the stock filter that can be accessible from below during an oil change and using this as your secondary/high efficiency filter ( which should be changed more often anyway. And fabbing up an air remover like a BullyDog system.

Now if I can just talk mother nature to STOP WINTER!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:37 am 

DieselJeepLuvr wrote:
I thought about doing that but that space is really tight and changing filters would suck. I'm thinking about doing a writeup on an install of a prefilter below the stock filter that can be accessible from below during an oil change and using this as your secondary/high efficiency filter ( which should be changed more often anyway. And fabbing up an air remover like a BullyDog system.
Now if I can just talk mother nature to STOP WINTER!

There is plenty of room in front of the OEM filter to mount a large secondary fuel filter using my custom mounting bracket
And changing the filters is real easy.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:14 am 
LOST Junkie

There are very good reasons why large machines have 2 filters. Tractors & earth moving equipment for example. You are more likely to have an issue with a filter passing unfiltered fuel than many realize. Having 2 filters in series protects against this. Many people change the primary more often than the fine secondary. its best if you have a bowl on both filters to allow checking of what the filter had removed. I have a primary filter on my bulk tank at home. It shows that there is plenty of contaminants in fuel from the supplier.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:23 pm 

layback40 wrote:
There are very good reasons why large machines have 2 filters. Tractors & earth moving equipment for example. You are more likely to have an issue with a filter passing unfiltered fuel than many realize. Having 2 filters in series protects against this. Many people change the primary more often than the fine secondary. its best if you have a bowl on both filters to allow checking of what the filter had removed. I have a primary filter on my bulk tank at home. It shows that there is plenty of contaminants in fuel from the supplier.

So very true; that is why I always expound the many benefits provided by installing and running a 2 micron secondary fuel filter. (Dual Filter System)

I have posted this before, but it is probably a good time to post again for this discussion.
Quote:
Fuel Filter Importance in a Modern Diesel Engine
Yes, the stock filter can supply the fuel, but what the stock filter cannot do is filter it down to 2 microns or less to help protect the CP3 and most importantly the very expensive fuel injectors. Fuel filters are very cheap insurance indeed.
Today’s diesel engine manufacturers have increased their fuel system injection rail pressures upwards of 30,000 PSI. The higher injection pressures result in better atomization of the fuel which effectively reduces emissions. Conversely, these higher rail pressures can increase abrasive wear of the injectors and the injection pump internal parts which are cooled by the fuel thus making it more important than ever before to select proper filtration equipment that is appropriate for today's requirements. Proper filtration must adequately remove the two worst enemies of diesel engines: water and particulate contaminants.
Microscopic particles (>2 microns) that can make it through inadequate fuel filter systems are very abrasive at the extremely high injection operating pressures of the diesel engine fuel injection system. Much emphasis should be placed on selecting high quality filters that can efficiently remove microscopic particle sizes down to <2 microns to help protect against long term engine injection system wear, damage, and / or possible failures.
It is not the CP3 that is of most concern, although it certainly should be considered, but the four very expensive fuel injectors. One set of failed fuel injectors due to contaminated fuel can cost a small fortune to replace or even to have rebuilt by a certified Bosch rebuilder. :banghead:

The cost of ONE fuel injector will buy an awful lot of high-quality 2 micron fuel filters.

For any diesel engine to function properly for a long period of time, it needs to be well maintained and it must be supplied with clean, high-quality fuel. Cleanliness has always been an important part in maintaining the performance, reliability, and usable life of a diesel engine. But in today’s high pressure common rail fuel systems, the extreme close tolerance components require a much higher level of fuel cleanliness to prevent long term damage or wear.
Over time, Microscopic particles smaller than 10 microns that are not captured by a primary filter/water separator can cause damage & wear to the injection pump internal parts and / or fuel injector's very close tolerance internal parts.

With the exception of personal driving behaviors, ^*+the efficiency and tightness of fuel injectors is the single most important factor that can affect fuel economy and performance in a modern diesel engine.

But as always to each his own, it is your vehicle and you are your own warranty provider. As for me, I like providing as much additional protection where possible, especially when it is as cheap as adding an extra fuel filter or two... :D

^DIESEL FUEL INJECTOR ISSUES
*Clean Injectors Fuel Maximum Performance and Productivity
+Effect of injector nozzle parameters on fuel consumption and soot emission of two-cylinder diesel engine for vehicle

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:31 am 
LOST Member

Whatever makes you happy. I've never had 2 filters (or even one with a water separator on either of my Dodge diesels. It's important to know where you get your fuel. If you get it from questionable locations then by all means. Also make darn sure if you are using an alternative filter that it is for fuel and not oil or hydraulic fluid as those have a bypass if they get clogged.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:41 pm 
LOST Member

Like this?

Gen 2 Fuel Head
GDE Eco Tune
ARP studs
Etechno (7v) Glow Plugs
F37
Kap 193 thermostat
Carter Lift Pump (Modified wiring harness)
Fumoto (CRD-108)
Bypass oil filter (2 micron)
Samco
Provent
Sears P-1 Battery
Secondary 2 micron fuel filter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:06 pm 
LOST Member

taroo wrote:
Like this?

Looking at your sign. What is a Kap 193 thermostat?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:18 pm 
LOST Member

DieselJeepLuvr wrote:
taroo wrote:
Like this?

Looking at your sign. What is a Kap 193 thermostat?

viewtopic.php?f=98&t=50940

This is a thermostat that replaces the OEM. It lets you out in a standard thermostat with a temp of your choosing.

I don’t know how many were made but I would think in the hundreds. I have one and love it for ease of maintenance and temp selection.

Gen 2 Fuel Head
GDE Eco Tune
ARP studs
Etechno (7v) Glow Plugs
F37
Kap 193 thermostat
Carter Lift Pump (Modified wiring harness)
Fumoto (CRD-108)
Bypass oil filter (2 micron)
Samco
Provent
Sears P-1 Battery
Secondary 2 micron fuel filter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:48 pm 
LOST Member

I remember that thread from years ago. I think I still have a housing around here somewhere I was going to fab up. Was there ever a final parts list?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:24 am 
LOST Addict

DieselJeepLuvr wrote:
I remember that thread from years ago. I think I still have a housing around here somewhere I was going to fab up. Was there ever a final parts list?

Good luck finding the KIA Sephia thermostat cap; they were unavailable when I first looked at taking over in 2013 what Mark Kapalczynski started.

Kapalczynski's thermostat was a decent design, but using a thermostat valve from an engine that is a little more than 1/2 the displacement of the CRD engine and is NOT turbocharged is not a good idea. The Hyundai Accent 1.5L engine puts out far less power than the CRD engine and therefore creates much less heat, therefore requiring a much smaller cooling system with a smaller thermostat.

The cooling system of any given internal combustion engine will be properly sized for that engine and its maximum power production in the most demanding driving conditions. Because the demands placed on a 2.8L turbocharged diesel engine that can tow 5000 LBS will be far greater than that of a 1.5L engine that hauls around perhaps 1000 LBS of passengers and cargo, the cooling system of the CRD engine will therefore be far more robust and have a far greater capacity to shed heat. The gatekeeper of the cooling system - the thermostat valve, (and assembly, in this case), is also sized appropriately.

The thermostat valve used in the 1.5L Hyundai Accent engine will be too small to flow enough engine coolant in the most demanding situations. The Kapalczynski modified O.E. thermostat may be O.K. for when you are puttering around town, but I would not use it when towing heavy in hot weather.

Last edited by TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK on Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:26 pm 
LOST Member

DieselJeepLuvr wrote:
Whatever makes you happy. I've never had 2 filters (or even one with a water separator on either of my Dodge diesels. It's important to know where you get your fuel. If you get it from questionable locations then by all means. Also make darn sure if you are using an alternative filter that it is for fuel and not oil or hydraulic fluid as those have a bypass if they get clogged.

The stock fuel filter on your Dodge diesels were more likely than not also water separators (probably Mopar 68084905AE which Mopar calls a Fuel/Water Separator). The stock fuel filter on the Jeep Liberty CRD also acts as a water separator (i.e., Mopar 52129238AA which has "water eliminator" printed on the filter itself). Both of these fuel filter systems include a drain valve to allow you to periodically purge any water that the filter/water separator rejects. The Dodge has the drain on the filter housing, the Jeep uses the WIF sensor as the drain plug on the cartridge itself.

Unfortunately knowing where you get your fuel will not always prevent you from getting any water. That's why it's even more important to have good filtration.

BTW, the Dodge diesel OEM filtration allegedly didn't even meet Bosch's minimum requirements for the OEM injectors. You gotta wonder if the same is true for the Jeep OEM filtration.

2005 Liberty Limited CRD; Air Filter Monitor; Samco Hoses; GDE HOT Tune; RL037142AA TC; KJ Interior Rack from All J Products; JBA Adjust-a-strut lift and A-Arms; 245/75R16 Firestone Destination ATs on Moabs; ARB Bumper; ASFIR Skids; FS-2500 Bypass Filter; ARP studs.
2016 Grand Cherokee Overland CRD.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:59 am 

user113 wrote:
The stock fuel filter on your Dodge diesels were more likely than not also water separators (probably Mopar 68084905AE which Mopar calls a Fuel/Water Separator). The stock fuel filter on the Jeep Liberty CRD also acts as a water separator (i.e., Mopar 52129238AA which has "water eliminator" printed on the filter itself). Both of these fuel filter systems include a drain valve to allow you to periodically purge any water that the filter/water separator rejects. The Dodge has the drain on the filter housing, the Jeep uses the WIF sensor as the drain plug on the cartridge itself.

Unfortunately knowing where you get your fuel will not always prevent you from getting any water. That's why it's even more important to have good filtration.

BTW, the Dodge diesel OEM filtration allegedly didn't even meet Bosch's minimum requirements for the OEM injectors. You gotta wonder if the same is true for the Jeep OEM filtration.

Very well said and great advice! :BINGO:
That is why I run dual filter systems (2 micron secondary filter) on both my Jeep CRD and and Dodge Cummins.
Injection pumps and injectors are not cheap, while filters are some of the best and cheapest insurance you can buy.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch