It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AC compressor or AC compressor clutch ???
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

The AC is working but there is a rattle when operating. The unit is blowing cold air to the point of frost coming out of the vents. I picked up a used compressor from a wrecked liberty a few years ago and I am thinking I could use it. If I have to replace the entire unit the system will have to be opened by a pro to catch the Freon and refill the system with Freon and oil..Needless to say it costly. If the clutch is bad I can use the clutch from the used unit or buy a new clutch kit. My problem: How to determine what is bad... Compressor or clutch

Post subject: Re: AC compressor or AC compressor clutch ???
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:20 pm 

Are you sure it is the AC compressor doing the rattling? It could also be one of the other pulleys on the serpentine belt system.
It could also be the harmonic balancer, as they age they can start rattling especially when the belt system is under load by the AC compressor.
When the AC compressor clutch is engaged, it can put additional tension on some of the other pulleys.

A bad one way alternator override pulley can also aservate the other pulleys causing noise issues especially at engine idle.

You may want to invest in a mechanics stethoscope so you can pinpoint the exact location where the rattle is emanating from.
They are not that expensive and are very helpful when trying to pinpoint exact locations of noises around the engine compartment.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Post subject: Re: AC compressor or AC compressor clutch ???
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

AC compressor clutch was the problem: Since I had the used compressor with the clutch I decided to change out the clutch since I would not have to open the system. I replaced the clutch and now "no rattle and the AC is working" No out of pocket $$$ just three hours of my time.