It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Intake Runners vs. EGR
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 7:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

After 120k miles of normal EGR function and zero CCV filtering into the intake, then another 16k with a custom ECU flash & ProVent filter, this is the current condition of my intake 'manifold'. I removed the intake elbow so that I could see what head gasket I have, since I couldn't think of any better way. After seeing the crud built-up in the elbow, I stuffed a camera into the intake... not pretty. This is exactly what I expected to see, given the amount of exhaust smoke I get when I give her full throttle. Apparently the ProVent is doing its job because the crud is dry & powdery, not wet & oily. With all the top-end work I have planned in the near future, this engine should really pick up on efficiency & power after I get her all back together.

It also makes me wonder how many CRDs and other diesels were scrapped just because of the stupid EGR?

2006 Ram2500 MC CTD: Latest project, complete with Death Wobble

Post subject: Re: Intake Runners vs. EGR
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 11:22 pm 

EGR systems are super bad for diesel engines, especially this one when you add in the oily vapor mix in with it to make black carbon mud pies inside the intake manifold. Contributes to a premature death for this engine for sure!
I hope you have your EGR system mechanically blocked off and disabled, or better yet a totally removed system. :D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 11:29 am 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
EGR systems are super bad for diesel engines, especially this one when you add in the oily vapor mix in with it to make black carbon mud pies inside the intake manifold. Contributes to a premature death for this engine for sure!
I hope you have your EGR system mechanically blocked off and disabled, or better yet a totally removed system. :D

Any leads on a kit? The only one I know of is no longer available.

Here is another pic...

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 12:57 pm 

The delete kits are becoming harder and harder to find these days and the ones you are able to find are all mostly in China or some other overseas country.
US sellers can't sell them anymore in the US for fear of the stupid epa goons wanting to fine or jail anyone they can.

A few below I found online, all offshore, proceed with caution when buying from non US sellers.

https://flasharkracing.com/products/egr ... -stage-1-2
https://www.egr-car-shop.com/products/e ... d-stage-12
https://www.spelabautoparts.com/product ... 8481391867

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 11:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWD, thank you. After some reading, i unplugged the FCV connector and fired it up. Apparently the EGR-disabled ECU program works, because the CEL turned off after starting just like normal. I cannot handle a lit CEL, so with that worry settled, the search commenced. I actually found a kit made in the USA, and still available!

https://kbdieselperformance.com/other/Intake-Elbow-Horn-Kit-for-2-8l-CRD-2005-06-Jeep-Liberty-Turbo-Diesel-p133880322

And while I have the head off for a bunch of other upgrades, I'll try racertracer's method for sealing the exhaust side port.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=86993

This forum is the best!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:11 am 
LOST Member

I've got some kits still for sale if you're interested. PM me.