It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2006 CRD No start after a long rest
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello everyone -

2006 Liberty CRD, parked for three and a half or four years after a mystery coolant leak. Ran like a top when parked, it just had a habit of losing a pint or three of antifreeze any time I took it on the highway. I'll make a thread about that when it's running again.

Have some time to dig back into it now... Rats chewed through #2 and #3 injector wiring, spliced those back together. No other visible wiring damage. Throws P1252 - from what I can tell that shouldn't cause a no-start condition, correct me if I'm wrong. No other codes or warning lights except P0202/3 from the injector shorts, before I repaired them. It cranks all day long with no sign of even attempting to fire. My first thought is crankshaft position sensor -- any other input for things to check before I start throwing $$$ at it? No water in the fuel and primer pump firms up as expected. (though it is leaking through the heater plug, so a new unit is on the way) I can pull the injectors for cleaning but I figured the odds of all four seizing or clogging at once would be pretty slim.

I've seen talk of checking fuel rail pressure. Is there a particular scan tool that will display this or should I be looking for raw output with a multimeter? I've been spoiled to death by VCDS for my volkswagen, sure would love a resource like that for the jeep.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Post subject: Re: 2006 CRD No start after a long rest
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

Update: Replaced cam position sensor and fuel filter assembly and it fired right up.

To keep it simple; I'll catalogue my coolant leak symptoms in this thread if anyone has input.

Prior to parking 4yrs ago: Lost a dramatic amount of coolant any time I took it on the freeway. No noticeable level change or leakage in the engine bay when idling or driving slow.
EGR cooler is blocked off, no other modifications. It ran well enough that I assumed the coolant wasn't finding its way into any cylinders and no sign of water in the oil.

Now: Oil had turned to sludge, changed it and did a radiator flush to (hopefully) start my leak hunting with no new surprises. Had a rough start and blew smoke. While at idle, a bunch of oil appeared in the reservoir -- pulled a sample from the oil pan, catastrophic amount of water in the oil. Didn't have it running more than 30 seconds. Fully drained and got two more quarts of fluid than I put in.

So, obviously a dire crack in the block/head/a cylinder liner, right? Which of these would be the most likely culprit, given that the engine ran with no apparent problems until after changing the oil?

Is there any downside to pulling the entire engine to give it a thorough inspection vs. pulling the cylinder head in-situ? Obviously I will not have a functioning jeep for quite some time either way...

Again, thanks in advance for any input.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:20 pm 
LOST Member

Bad head gasket is a possibility.

Was it ever overheated?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:34 am 
LOST Member

More likely a head gasket failure though it's possible you have a cracked head if it was worked hard and overheated. The short blocks are fairly robust on these so unless you drop a valve and score a liner you will probably be at worst looking at a replacement head. If you go that route I would NOT recommend the reman. Bite the bullet and cough up the $2,000 for a new one. You can check out my head gasket replacement video to get ideas on where to go from here.

viewtopic.php?f=98&t=92674

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:48 am 
LOST Junkie

Oil pressure blowing into cooling system is unlikely to be a head gasket problem. More like a oil cooler issue. Need to have oil under pressure to do that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:51 am 

Agree with others; pull engine oil cooler and have it pressure tested first to rule it out first before taking engine apart looking for a leak location.
Could also just be a simple gasket failure between the block and oil cooler or a head gasket failure.
To find a cracked head, you would have to remove the head and have it pressure tested by an automotive machine shop.

If it is just the oil cooler or gasket, finding it first would save you a lot of time, work, and money? :wink

Item No. 5 on diagram:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:11 pm 
LOST Member

layback40 wrote:
Oil pressure blowing into cooling system is unlikely to be a head gasket problem. More like a oil cooler issue. Need to have oil under pressure to do that.

I'll bet you a bottle of Pendleton it's a blown head gasket. Reread his first two posts.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:02 pm 

DieselJeepLuvr wrote:
layback40 wrote:

I'll bet you a bottle of Pendleton it's a blown head gasket. Reread his first two posts.
I would love a bottle! :ROTFL:

But we all know, finding where oil is getting into the cooling system is a real crap shoot to say the least. There are not a lot of places it can happen, oil cooler leak, head gasket leak, cracked head, or worse cracked piston liner or cracked block (Super rare from actual reports).
Granted, the majority of the reports are head gaskets or cracked heads, but there have also been a few oil cooler or oil cooler gasket failures reported on this forum with the same symptoms, so you can't completely rule them out.

From a logical standpoint, starting with the least invasive item to test and rule out is the oil cooler and it's mounting gasket.
It would be super frustrating to pull a head and have it pressure tested and go through all that work only to end up finding out it was a leaking oil cooler or a simple oil cooler gasket. :banghead:
Sometimes it is best to start with smaller things first and then work your way up to the bigger items. :2cents:
:juggle:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

turblediesel wrote:
Bad head gasket is a possibility.

Was it ever overheated?

Yes -- the first time the coolant leak really reared its head. Temp needle hit the red once. That said, it had never overheated (under my ownership) until then.

Oil cooler coming off next. Thanks WW for the diagram, tremendously helpful as always. I am a little dubious about that being the only problem -- we're talking maybe 50ml of oil in the cooling system vs 2 quarts of coolant in the oil within minutes after a full change of both. Astonished it even ran under those conditions, frankly.