It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fuel Economy
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:01 pm 
LOST Member

So my current Libby came (used) with a custom bull bar/winch mount with 2 big round PIAA spot lights which I absolutely love in the winter or when driving back roads at night. They turn night time into day but I've always wondered how they affect my fuel economy. I currently average 22 mpg cruising on the freeway at 75 mph. I'm a practical person so I don't have a lift kit and oversized tires even though I live in the mountains. If we get too much snow I fire up my 93 Dodge CTD with the snow plow... Now that the weather is getting better out I decided to do some experimenting to see what my maximum fuel economy could be so this is what I did. As you know I build custom thermostats and the first thing I noticed when I started running a hotter coolant temp was about 2 mpg improvement. Maybe it's my imagination, maybe not. Next I removed the A/C clutch fuse because I noticed the compressor would kick on and off all the time. That got me up to about 26 mpg. A couple weeks ago I removed the bull bar/spot light assembly and did my usual long distance commute and hand calculated 29.98 mpg! That's awesome! I haven't see that kind of fuel economy since the first Libby I owned!

Just remember what you're doing to your fuel economy when you add things like lift kits, oversized tires, spot lights etc.

Post subject: Re: Fuel Economy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:46 am 
LOST Member

Yep, i used to get close to 30mpg on mine, but when i put on the 4" lift, 32" tires, ARB bumper, winch, rock sliders, roof rack, and 3/16" skid plates...my mpg is now sitting at 19mpg.

Sucks but I get the enjoyment of having a capable off road rig that can go places most Wranglers
go. :JEEPIN: Plus it turns heads 8)

05 CRD; Rebuilt top end w/ARP studs, EGR delete, SEGR, 3.7L HD cooling fan, Samco hoses, in tank pump, JBA coil overs & control arms, KK clevis fork, 1/2" cradle drop, 1/4" motor mount lift, WJ rear upper trilink w/WW mount, WJ lower control arms, 4:10 gear, front/rear air lockers, ARB bumper, Rock Lizard sliders/roof rack, Mod T-stat