It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How cold for block heater?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:19 pm 
LOST Member

At what temp do you need to plug in the block heater? I've had a few pretty cold (for MO) nights lately (4 last night, 10 when I started her up) and haven't yet had any problems starting. As long as I wait for the glow plug light to go out, it always starts right up with no struggle at all (makes a heck of a racket- the neighbors appreciate it. :twisted: ). How much colder does it need to get before the heater is necessary? Sub-zero?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:25 pm 
LOST Member

Soon as it dropped into the teens here I started plugging mine in. We had 1 deg.F with wind chills to -20 Thursday morning and the glow plug light didn’t even flash on, fired right up and sound like it was already been warmed up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:27 pm 
LOST Member

I used mine for the first time just today...put it on a timer to come on 1 1/2 hrs before I left. It was 8 degrees F here this morning. The Liberty did start up a bit easier with a quite a bit less clatter, but I hadn't really had any trouble starting it before. I would imagine it would need to get VERY cold (like in the -20 range or below) before you would really need the heater. I know that lots of people way up North use them. Here in Indiana, it's not a real necessity. I had a VW TDI for a few years and never had trouble starting it even down into the negative digits at times. The problem with that car was that it took a while to get any heat....brrrrrr.

Post subject: 8 degrees F and no problem
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I am in upstate NY and it was 8 F this morning. The CRD started up just fine, and that is with B2 in the tank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

I usually don't plug mine in unless its going to be below zero F. and the CRD is parked outside (which it usually isn't). I've started the CRD without the block heater down to about -20 or so F. without issue. I don't usually add Powerservice, etc.--I just use winterized fuel. Have not had any gelling or starting issues since I bought the CRD in March of '05. I might add that my CRD is not my daily driver, so it will often sit for days between starts--it always starts right off, no matter how long it's been sitting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:00 pm 
LOST Junkie

So you guys think I'll be OK not even looking for the plug here in Georgia? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:33 pm 
LOST Addict

cerich wrote:
So you guys think I'll be OK not even looking for the plug here in Georgia? :shock:

Don't worry about it, unless you want the vehicle to warm the interior quicker, then you might consider it as it will allow the heater to start putting out warm (warmer) air as soon as it starts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:55 pm 
LOST Member

I live in the Houston area, and I use it when it gets in the 30's. Puts out warm air before I'm out of the subdivision.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:01 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have my extension cord on a timer so it comes on about 3 hours before i get in the car. by the way i plug mine in once it gets below 32degrees. not as loud in the morning oil flows better threw the block.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:52 pm 
LOST Member

Not sure really when if ever to plug it in out here in AZ. Maybe I could rig up a solar panel to power it... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:57 pm 
LOST Junkie

It was 6 degrees below 0 last week and we didn't bother plugging in CRuD. It didn't need it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:03 am 
LOST Addict

Something to remember about the block heater. It shouldn't be necessary until well below zero. It would always be beneficial, even in the summer. The cycle from cold to hot and back again is part of what kills engines. Minimizing that will always be beneficial, but at warmer temps not enough to justify the expense and effort. My block heater cord is still tied to the dipstick tube, and it'll probably stay there for a long time.

05 Limited CRD. Bought it new. 112k on the clock now.

GDE Eco-tune, rear differential drain plug (drilled and tapped the pumpkin), transmission pan drain plug, Fumoto oil valve, fuel filler neck restriction removed, front hitch, Hayden fan clutch, Sears P1 battery since 08, Mobil 1 5w40, 5 volt glow plugs, DIY timing belt at 109k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:55 am 
LOST Newbie

20 degs. is a good number. You'll burn less fuel on the warmup; you'll be warmer sooner; your engine internals will not have to pump cold oil and I think your engine will last longer. 2cents worth anyway. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:09 am 
LOST Newbie

We all know she will start in very cold temps -15F without a block heater. I plug mine below 20' with a timer and I know she thanks me :) in the morning by not making all that racket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:19 am 
LOST Member

Anything below 30DegF. I plug mine in just makes it so much better in the morning, and less ware and tare on the engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:02 pm 
LOST Junkie

It seems senseless to me to have to plug in a 1000 watt heater to get the car going. I started mine all last winter without the heater (coldest -12f) and found that it does make alot of noise when cold, but within 30 secs is fine. It gives cabin heat fast due to viscous heater, but will not shift into overdrive until a certian temp is reached. My 5 min drive to hiway is usually enough time for that to happen.

You can use the plug in heater if you want, it certainly does not hurt and will give you cabin heat much faster, but why use the power

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:38 pm 
LOST Addict

I'll take the bait.

To reduce start-up wear on almost everything under the hood and to make the engine as efficient as possible in the shortest amount of time. I think the question should be "Why wouldn't you use the heater"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:30 am 
LOST Member

vtdog wrote:
It seems senseless to me to have to plug in a 1000 watt heater to get the car going.......You can use the plug in heater if you want, it certainly does not hurt and will give you cabin heat much faster, but why use the power

Does any member on this board know for sure what the actual wattage is on the block heaters on our CRD's ? 1k seems a little high. My 2003 Dodge RAM 2500 w/HPCR Cummins has a 750 watt block heater.....but then again, the total cooling system capacity is just two quarts shy of eight gallons......quite a lot more than the cooling system of our CRD's.

Compression ignition relies upon cylinder block temperatures for best efficiency, so a toasty warm block will always aid in starting in extreme cold. Sure, it's not a necessity, but why not make it easier on your vehicle when you can ? The super-quick cabin heat is nice as well (as already mentioned).

You'd be surprised at how little it costs to run the block heater for a few hours....it just depends on your kwh cost. Around where I live, I can plug my Cummins up for about $0.60 to $0.75 per night (8 to 10 hours).....way cheaper than idling out $2.459/gal diesel in my neck of the woods.

My CRD is garaged.......and it even gets plugged in some for regular trips we make on the weekends.

Greg

*SOLD*2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 CRD, Bright Silver Metallic, Dk/Lt Slate Gray Leather w/bun warmers, 5 spd auto, 22G pkg, Trailer Tow, 3.73 Rear Axle w/Trac-Lok Differential, P235/70R16 Firestone Destination LE's, Power Sunroof, Selec-Trac 4WD, Infinity 6-Disc In-Dash, Magnaflow #15870 System.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:37 pm 
LOST Addict

Mine's in the garage every night and plugged in on a timer. It takes less than two hours to heat up. The hardest part about plugging it in is convincing the wife not to take the extention cord to work with her!! Happened twice already and the last time she got pulled over. Police said she had something orange dragging about 25 ft behind her :-)r
My family is still laughing at that one! I'm smiling now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:31 am 
LOST Newbie

When at work i plug mine in, no matter the temp. I also have an electric car heater inside as well. Makes it better on the butt when it is really cold outside, dont have seat heaters :(
When at home it only gets plugged in when the temp goes below -15 C.
At work power is free and at home i pay. :)

Yeah Its A Diesel